Thaksin Calls for Tax Cuts to Boost Thai Banking Liquidity

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

How does issuing more loans tackle the nation's debt problem? Surely that's what helped cause it in the first place.

A, was well known graffiti ,'You can now borrow enough to get completely out of debt".

Alot of debt is with the teachers, police, nurses ,or Thai civil servants ,it is time these government  departments ,stopped loaning money out ,as I see it must be taxpayers money ?..........i.e. Wifes niece a nurse, not yet 30 years old ,has just had implants in her teeth cost 100k, that is on top of the 1 million baht she borrowed less than 2 years ago to get married, she earns about 35k Bart /month.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

91% of Thai household debt comprises mortgages and vehicle leasing. Thaksin recalled a similar approach during his administration in 2001, where commercial banks eased retail loan restrictions.

Didn't Yinkluk do a similar plan, with new car owners getting a tax break?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nakhonandy said:

It was a dinner speech, he wasn't announcing government policy. 

Then why use a Thai economical stratergy as his topic? He could have talked his family and how he proud of his daughter etc. and even say that in his opinion Thai peole need more help. But If the words of the OP are accurate then he was clearly giving advice and laying out a stratgy. I just hope that the military don't see his words and deeds as interference and decide to do something about it.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, phetphet said:

How does issuing more loans tackle the nation's debt problem? Surely that's what helped cause it in the first place.

This is exactly what he did 20 years ago, and basically tripled the average household debts of Thai people...

• Thumbs Up 1

Thaksin calls for measures to make the obscenely rich and wealthy, richer and wealthier on the backs of the poor and impoverished. 

There - fixed it!  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, chiang mai said:

This is a cash flow issue. If banks don't have income (that is money from their lending), they cannot pay for their liabilities (the money they must pay out). The cycle depends on people borrowing so that banks can lend, if they can't lend then nothing grows and the cycle comes to a stop....think 2008. If business doesn't borrow, because banks can't lend, business growth comes to a stop and there's no jobs. 

Did you notice how after 2008 the banks stopped paying interests on bank accounts at the same time as they charged usurious rates for unsecured loans.  Usury is still alive and well in the banking sector and allow by most governments. 

Banks should be allowed to go bankrupt.

41 minutes ago, parallelman said:

Then why use a Thai economical stratergy as his topic? He could have talked his family and how he proud of his daughter etc. and even say that in his opinion Thai peole need more help. But If the words of the OP are accurate then he was clearly giving advice and laying out a stratgy. I just hope that the military don't see his words and deeds as interference and decide to do something about it.

Because that was the basis of the dinner, not family relationships. 

The military will read what they want as they always do, the last coup was totally unnecessary but suited their needs at the time.

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Did you notice how after 2008 the banks stopped paying interests on bank accounts at the same time as they charged usurious rates for unsecured loans.  Usury is still alive and well in the banking sector and allow by most governments. 

Banks should be allowed to go bankrupt.

That was a function of interest rates which haven't been over 2.5% since 2013.

On 8/23/2024 at 11:55 AM, Will B Good said:

Have I missed a year out.....this is still 2024 isn't it.....how is he, banned from politics, not even elected ....running the show????

Umm, This is Thailand? 😋

Tell you what, he’ll be an anti-hero if he says Taxin (I’m a poet and don’t know it) the expats is vile and wrong. But we all know he hates us and that’ll never happen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

let me guess... he must have major stock... just like his friend that forgave him for his unkind words

tell me one reason, interest paid by banks is so low here but they charge double or tripple for a mortgage compared to home countries that pay double interest to savers...

• Like 1

On 8/24/2024 at 4:01 PM, connda said:

Thaksin calls for measures to make the obscenely rich and wealthy, richer and wealthier on the backs of the poor and impoverished. 

There - fixed it!  :thumbsup:

Yes if he wants to help the poor, remove the tax on food. But I guess first help the banksters, than the poor.

Well, the latest addition to funny ideas was to tax retirees on their pension payments. Given the fact, that most retirees spend (much) more money than what the average Thai books as income, it remains questionable, if that financially attractive cake needs to be cut up in different slices now. 

If the government, in its endless greed and need for submarines, F16s and other completely out-of-this-world ideas wants to cream off the icing on the cake ............ or ............ if all those retirees rather spend the same amount of money with the average Thai citizen in shops, restaurants, hotels etc. Needless to say, that the answer is the latter but given the present state of affairs those in the driver's seat simply could not care less about their tax paying underlings. 

Just beware of not killing yet another goose laying golden+ eggs ......... they did it with blocking the visa runners back in the day who must have also spent more money than the average Somchai. 

This country is in dire need of a complete revamp and proper spring cleaning with sand blasters and more ......... 

• Agree 1