Ridiculous Electric Bill Loei Provence

happyaussie

We have a house near Wang Suphung which for the past 15 years has run an electric bill of between 1000 to 2000 baht monthly. Depending on season A/C etc. 

Since we moved into another property, this house has been empty for 4 years. Last week we received a monthly electric bill for 16,000 baht. I nearly fell off my chair.

My wife went to the PEA office and was told in no uncertain terms pay up or your power will be disconnected, which it was. 

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this experience and whether there are any avenues I could pursue to rectify what is obviously an error or fault.

I think we all know how non confrontational  and easily intimidated most Thai country folk are. And someone in uniform, being aggressive would be intimidating. 

My other curiosity is that if we pay now what happens next month.

Appreciate anyone's guidance.

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

Other than my wife spending a night or two each month the house has been unoccupied for 4+ years and yes we have received and paid monthly bills. Around 1,000bht, even though unoccupied 2 fridges and the odd light.

I work offshore so can't carry out the steps suggested. I'll get my wife to arrange a sparky, if such a thing exists.

There would be 10+ years of records showing that consumption has not exceeded 2000bht. Then logic would show that a jump to 16,000bht for one month clearly shows an issue. 

And yes, I know logic rarely, if ever exists in Thailand.

KhunLa thanks for the tip on leeching. We are rural and shall investigate. 

IMG_0139.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

By chance can anyone suggest a good electrician in Wang Suphung / Loei?? We have two other houses I'd also like checked. Rats chewing through cables is a very strong possibility. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As others have said, the first thing you do is check the meter reading on the bill with what the meter actually shows.  If those numbers are close to each other then turn all the breakers off and see if you still have the meter turning.  Turn them back on one at a time and check each time to see if there is one circuit you can isolate as the problem.

• Like 1

Download the app now. It should show the last 12 months. Call the help line they will send somebody to check. There is a monthly standing charge which can run for months with no disconnection. Alternatively take an ID card and a new lease and get a new meter installed under somebody else's name or your name to the residents. Forget the old bill.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2024 at 6:48 AM, happyaussie said:

even though unoccupied 2 fridges

So you left two fridges running for 4 years in an unoccupied house. Were they empty?

• Like 1

On 8/25/2024 at 9:06 AM, happyaussie said:

By chance can anyone suggest a good electrician in Wang Suphung / Loei?? We have two other houses I'd also like checked. Rats chewing through cables is a very strong possibility. 

It's simple to see if you have a problem, turn off the main breaker in the house, then go outside and see if the meter is still spinning.

That happened to me recently, and they found a leak to earth AFTER the incoming feed to the box to the meter, (where the electric comes in), which meant it was on the outgoing feed after the meter, so unfortunately, I had to pay for an electrician and rewiring and the expensive bill.

Of course there's a major problem, an unoccupied house doesn't go from 1,000 baht to 16,000 baht per month, something is very wrong.

If mice or rats have chewed the cables, they will have caused a leak to earth, so it's checked out by doing what I said above plus get in a good electrician to check it all out, and rewire if necessary.

29 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So you left two fridges running for 4 years in an unoccupied house. Were they empty?

He is saying the house has been unoccupied in the main for four years as they reside in another dwelling.

He IS NOT saying he hasn't paid bills for four years, he has stated he is paying his bills on that property monthly.

His wife occupies the house for one or two nights per month, but it isn't their main residence any more.

20 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

It's simple to see if you have a problem, turn off the main breaker in the house, then go outside and see if the meter is still spinning.

That happened to me recently, and they found a leak to earth AFTER the incoming feed to the box to the meter, (where the electric comes in), which meant it was on the outgoing feed after the meter, so unfortunately, I had to pay for an electrician and rewiring and the expensive bill.

Of course there's a major problem, an unoccupied house doesn't go from 1,000 baht to 16,000 baht per month, something is very wrong.

If mice or rats have chewed the cables, they will have caused a leak to earth, so it's checked out by doing what I said above plus get in a good electrician to check it all out, and rewire if necessary.

And get an Earth Leakage breaker. And some rat poison !

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Scouse123 said:

He is saying the house has been unoccupied in the main for four years as they reside in another dwelling.

He IS NOT saying he hasn't paid bills for four years, he has stated he is paying his bills on that property monthly.

His wife occupies the house for one or two nights per month, but it isn't their main residence any more.

Oh that's OK then, his wife's beers will be cold.

On 8/24/2024 at 12:32 PM, happyaussie said:

We have a house near Wang Suphung which for the past 15 years has run an electric bill of between 1000 to 2000 baht monthly. Depending on season A/C etc. 

Since we moved into another property, this house has been empty for 4 years. Last week we received a monthly electric bill for 16,000 baht. I nearly fell off my chair.

My wife went to the PEA office and was told in no uncertain terms pay up or your power will be disconnected, which it was. 

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this experience and whether there are any avenues I could pursue to rectify what is obviously an error or fault.

I think we all know how non confrontational  and easily intimidated most Thai country folk are. And someone in uniform, being aggressive would be intimidating. 

My other curiosity is that if we pay now what happens next month.

Appreciate anyone's guidance.

Thanks

The problem is at PEA as we found, they just are not interested in helping.

The onus is on you to sort it out.

A good electrician will know if there's an issue when he turns off the breaker.

Your wife CAN REQUEST the PEA to come out and check the meters and show them previous bills and this ridiculous one for 16,000 baht. That should get some action.

Also in Loei, we have 4 fridges, several TVs, electronics, fans, lights, microwave, multiple battery chargers, etc., etc.  AC never on. Monthly bills always around 1800 baht.

I don't see how a couple of fridges and occasional lights would add up to what you've been paying. I would suggest someone has been living in your "empty" house or someone nearby stealing the power.

Many here are advising to check meters, etc. but I see you state it is now disconnected, so impossible to do.

Perhaps your enquiries should be directed closer to home. 

• Like 1

first step before calling out electrician or PEA out is to confirm that the meter has be read correctly, if they wrote the digit wrong it could result in the whopping bill, easily adjusted, just take photo of meter to PEA, 

if the meter was indeed correct then you have problem somewhere

is the meter disconnected, or removed? if removed you'll have a tough time proving the misread now 

• Agree 1

Since you have monitored and paid the bill regularly I would doubt someone is stealing your electric or you would have seen a high bill before...

I would also say your basic wiring is ok too for the same reason above...

I would say the culprit is some electric device you have that wasn't used in the past 4 years that you started using regularly... My guess is you are now running an AC unit regularly that has low freon and is running the compressor constantly... Or a electric water heater that is not shutting off properly when not in use... Or did your wife bring and kitchen item that is plugged in?... Basically look at every electrical device that you turned on or added when you moved in...

Edited by BKKKevin
  • Confused 1

Or a 'hydroponics farmer' has tapped into the line. Maybe, in future, you should turn off the power at the breaker. Your wife can turn it back on when she stays for a few days.

• Sad 1

On 8/24/2024 at 6:51 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Same thing, another high bill. 

You need to remove whoever is occupying the house or stealing your electricity. 

Next month its 17,000

🐒🚀😂😬😁🐘

You moved to new house and bill rising, but it is your house not really used then?

Could be, they are taping your installation.

In times the house isnt occupied, the mains is switched off? 

I had this with a Philippine woman, she lived in bought house.

No clue how long she lived there before, but at one point her bill was rising.

When I was there, checked boxes, most all black wiring.

But one box had yellow wiring, it didnt return anywhere in house.

So i cut it and bill went down. Neighbor made it easy to detect, luckily with yellow wiring.

If they would have used black wiring just as all was, then it would be way harder to find.

The wiring was made when house was empty.

You have to find out, when meter is real running. IS it when main power switch of house is off?

The house doesnt use any then. Then something wrong with cables to house or thief connection.

If not

Then unplug all sockets, so there is no user, even switch off lights and then turn on the mainswitch of house and see what happens on meter.

I guess you have just one "fuse" , otherwise if more, you can determine per fuse.

Put all(?) fuses off and start with one and see what happens. Switch off and do the same with 

with another fuse (?), if you have more fuses. Maybe you could see then on which group is a big user/error.

IF there is a somehow a thief connection, you only will notice, if the thief is using power. You have a socket or connection possibility outside? Check. DOnt know if you have neighbors close by.

I see 2 wires through air on house? One ok, but two?

14 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Did you read that his wife spending 1-2 nights per month in the house. Maybe have some food in them and she can use them when there. Quite easy to think that way.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/27/2024 at 5:23 AM, thesetat2013 said:

I would have to agree. If you are not in the house. and even if you are in it. I would unplug everything and turn off the breakers. Or watch the meter as you unplug things to check for shorts in the appliances. 

As stated in the reply. It is entirely possible someone is stealing your electric. You should be checking for that as well. 

Someone stealing your electricity happens in city areas also. Mu bills were always high in a townhouse in Pattaya )row of townhouses every house sharing a wall with the next house.

Next house was sold and new owner asked my adult son if he knew where to go to get elel. bill changed to his (new owners ) name.

This all led to discovery that the sold house had never had an elec. bill since the house (whole village) was constructed).

Police got involved and then did a broader / more comprehensive check on the old owner (Thai Indian man), he ended up in jail on several charges. 

Check how your meter is actually "read" - Ours used to be manually by EGAT, but for about the last 5 years they use an electronic scan tool - If it has been left connected for 4 years, check thew meter size (5 Amp or 15 Amp) as again for the past few years if you use under a certain amount on the 5 Amp meter it is FREE! If it is on a 15 Amp for 4 years - as calculated by another poster, I think 348 / Mnth is not expensive. Electric bills have shot up over the last few years, we use roughly the same power every month and has gone from about 2000 Month to over 4000 and no air con either!

52 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Check how your meter is actually "read" - Ours used to be manually by EGAT, but for about the last 5 years they use an electronic scan tool - If it has been left connected for 4 years, check thew meter size (5 Amp or 15 Amp) as again for the past few years if you use under a certain amount on the 5 Amp meter it is FREE! If it is on a 15 Amp for 4 years - as calculated by another poster, I think 348 / Mnth is not expensive. Electric bills have shot up over the last few years, we use roughly the same power every month and has gone from about 2000 Month to over 4000 and no air con either!

4000 a month with no Air Con seems a hell of a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1