Woman Rides Electric Suitcase While Using Phone on Busy Bangkok Road

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

I read somewhere that those ride on suitcases are banned from flights due to the large lithium batteries that power them.

Maybe it was another stupid ploy to get views on social media.

The taxi mafia certainly won't want that catching on.

I read that too... 'some' airlines and airports have banned them. 

This girl is obviously a bit daft - riding her suitcase like that is rather stupid...  she was a trapped wheel away from falling under the wheels of a passing car or bus.

Whats so hard about getting taxi ???

8 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The police said according to the Vehicles Act and Road Traffic Act of 1979, a suitcase is not considered a vehicle and therefore cannot be registered as one and legally used on public roads.

Using a non-vehicle on a public road is also considered “blocking the traffic”, in violation of the Road Traffic Act, police also said.

The traffic police said investigations revealed that the woman in the video was a Chinese tourist who has already left the country.

.... And how many policemen did the Chinese Tourist ride past ????... 

I'm betting at least 10 and none of them could be bothered to do anything about it...   

But, as the video has been doing the rounds on social medial for the past 5 days, they [the Police] are then forced to 'spew out their sanctimony'.....  

... Yes, of course this is illegal, but the bigger issue is that she was placing herself in great danger, the police could have acted in the interests of the public safety (in this case the individuals safety) and protected her from her own stupidity... 

Would this individual (woman riding a suit case) have ever attempted to do this in Singapore or Dubai ???... the obvious answer is no, and if she did attempt it, she'd be stopped quickly.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why should an illegal vehicle travelling on the public road have right away? 

He should not be on the road. 

It's very strange behaviour for a grown western man to accept these law breakers. 

Stop making excuses. 

They're not illegal on the pavement - but authorities have failed in their duty to keep the pavements clear.

Thus, they have no choice but to use the roads...   besides, I agree that they should be taxed and insured - which I'm sure is a matter of time and there will be an option to tax and insure them within the next few years. 

When they are taxed and insured - what will be your complaint against elderly foreigner travelling on mobility scooters then ??...   that they have made you 5mins late somewhere ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Reactions to my post to reveal your true feelings on her actions, NOT on my reply.

Ha ha = speaks for itself

thanks/trophy = go girl! I'm jealous!

thumbs up = why not, it's her life to endanger

heart/love it = I love her idea, and like her too!

sad = she's a danger to others

confused = she's a danger to herself

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Additionally - below a certain wattage (500 I think it is) these vehicles are legal, they don't need registration, and its not illegal for them to be on the road where the footpath is non existent or unnavigable. 

So the EV suitcase is legally allowed on the road because it is under 500 watts. 

Stop arguing with me. 

Get back on topic. 

I have clean up the thread, a number of off topic reported posts have been removed. This topic is not about elderly foreigners using mobility scooter, so please stay on the topic and stop any deflection to argue with each other.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

You must live in a more law-abiding area than I do, I could find 1-2 every 5 minutes.

Yeah, I know. Tried to be positive. Thanks for bringing me back to reality. 😉 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So many vehicles on the road not taxed... look at all the push food carts etc / motorcycle food carts etc... 

It would be a good idea to tax and insure these vehicles - if using the pavement or roads becasue there is a risk they could ride into someone / something and cause harm that requires medical treatment or property damage. 

But - why are some only picking picking only on foreigners in a mobility cart / trike - when there are all the other vehicles that present the same issues ?

I'm specifically talking about offroad only motorcycles, or what is basically a Dirt Bike, are they legally allowed on the road? Does Thailand allow them to be registered, or would they not be able to register it on the roads? The ones with no lights, no blinkers, etc.

22 hours ago, mokwit said:

Is she aware of local driving standards and attention to the road?

Probably not, let her have an accident and see what I care. No GoFundMe money, thats for sure.

23 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

This comment reeks of poor knowledge. Driving and using phone is a Thai trademark, that you see at least 1-2 per day on regular motorbikes.

Every app-delivery rider does that!

On 8/25/2024 at 5:43 AM, Georgealbert said:

A video posted on the social media platform X sparked outrage and concern over road safety. The video shows a woman riding an electric suitcase while simultaneously dragging a large piece of luggage and using her mobile phone on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road near Don Mueang Airport in Bangkok.

I wonder if she's coming or going?

“So relaxed, playing on her phone like it's no big deal."

style grace intelligence this woman has got it all how the heck else did you ride your luggage? on the freeway?? it’s perfect.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2024 at 6:13 AM, Georgealbert said:

The police said according to the Vehicles Act and Road Traffic Act of 1979, a suitcase is not considered a vehicle and therefore cannot be registered as one and legally used on public roads.

Using a non-vehicle on a public road is also considered “blocking the traffic”, in violation of the Road Traffic Act, police also said.

The traffic police said investigations revealed that the woman in the video was a Chinese tourist who has already left the country.

Clever buggers, these Chinese. Maybe she is an Attaché or nut case.😉

On 8/25/2024 at 6:46 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

She's probably been to Pattaya and seen all the stupid elderly foreigners using their disability scooters on public roads and she's thought why not. 

This woman is harmless, mostly keeping left, not getting in the way of road users. 

Unlike the foreigners here in Pattaya that illegally ride their disability scooters at speed, dangerously racing through intersections causing accidents and using all the road, blocking other vehicles from passing. 

These guys are a big problem in Pattaya. 

"mostly keeping to the left"  well in this 30 second clip we saw she was on right and weaving beyween cars and bus.   and its only 30 seconds and from that you conclude its ok.   if she hit a stone and fell and hit by car , her life and drivers life ruined, and for what,  its just stupid and reckless.   police shouldnt be involved,  call her parents!!  

btw what toll did she pay  it was a 6 wheeler!

24 minutes ago, Wydahoan said:

Anyone know the range on these electric suitcases? Asking for a friend. 🤔

I know you're joking, but that's actually one of the first things that occurred to me. These self-propelled suitcases are basically novelty items for riding around airports and shopping malls. Do they really have enough battery power to go more than a couple of km, especially on a much rougher surface than they're designed for? And for that matter, the wheels are small, and intended to be used on smooth floors - riding on a Thai highway must have been a very uncomfortable experience!