Fake Tefal pan at Lazada?

berro

I bought a Tefal pan at Lazada from "Lotus's shop online". The "red spot" doesn't change when the pan heats up on an induction stove.

Also, registering for eWarranty at Tefal Thailand didn't succeed because the serial number wasn't being recognized.

When asking Lotus customer service on Lazada about these issues they didn't answer my questions.

And when I tried to contact the Tefal/Krups service number in English and in Thai, my phone calls were left unanswered.

I thought "Lotus's shop online" was "somewhat" reputable? But could it be a fake Tefal pan?

And I'm curious why I couldn't register for Tefal's eWarranty.

Are there any options left to find out about the above?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

To the first replier: the pan is actually working fine, so I kept it.

So I'm just curious about the red spot and the eWarranty. 

Edited by berro

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Doubtful that a return would be accepted for a used pan!

I have returned stuff to Lazada after obviously unpacking and trying them out. How else could you warrant returning it.

Have you tried returning a frying pan that's been used?

18 hours ago, berro said:

Big C are also selling two combination sets of Tefal pans for Bt1200-1400, probably the same ‘job lot’.

AFAIK the red spot is just a marketing gimmick - it’s just to emphasise that the pan bases have embedded copper wires which conduct an even heat from the center to the edges of the pans.

18 hours ago, berro said:

Also, registering for eWarranty at Tefal Thailand didn't succeed because the serial number wasn't being recognized.

That reminds me of a Microsoft Surface PC which I bought at one of their authorized shops.

After a few months it needed repair under warranty. But I couldn't start this process because the serial number was not accepted in an online form. Then I called Microsoft. It's some time ago but as far as I remember it took weeks to solve the problem.

The device was real, the number was real, but their computer didn't like it.

And then explain to MS that their computer is wrong, and they have to fix it.

What a wonderful modern society we live in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, berro said:

When asking Lotus customer service on Lazada about these issues they didn't answer my questions.

And when I tried to contact the Tefal/Krups service number in English and in Thai, my phone calls were left unanswered.

Don't feel left out or dismayed ....  this happens alot so if I buy anything and there's an issue I don't even try to contact anyone ... TIT ....   why bother wasting your time. 

I won't buy expensive stuff here ... 

19 hours ago, berro said:

forget the red spot ... just cook and be happy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HK MacPhooey said:

Big C are also selling two combination sets of Tefal pans for Bt1200-1400, probably the same ‘job lot’.

AFAIK the red spot is just a marketing gimmick - it’s just to emphasise that the pan bases have embedded copper wires which conduct an even heat from the center to the edges of the pans.

Why do pans have a red dot?

Thermo-Spot

It's simple. Inside your pan, you have an indicator that turns red once the ideal cooking temperature is reached. Before heating, the Thermo-Spot® pattern is clearly visible. As the pan heats up, the colour begins to change.

20 hours ago, berro said:

I bought a Tefal pan at Lazada from "Lotus's shop online". The "red spot" doesn't change when the pan heats up on an induction stove.

That's possibly because to pan is aluminium.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

How many sellers advertise on Lazada? How could Lazada check every product? They can act if they receive regular complaints about a, seller. Some people complain about everything so it takes more than one or two complaints for them to investigate. Just be sensible and ignore products shown at a lot lower than retail price, but still be prepared for knockoffs.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Have you tried returning a frying pan that's been used?

No, but if I had bought a 'genuine' Tefal frying pan, and the Red Spot did not react as Tefal says it should, I would return it saying that it did not operate the way it should, possibly fake.

51 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

That's possibly because to pan is aluminium.

Somebody put a Confused emoji on my reply. An aluminium or copper pan WILL NOT heat up on an induction hob. The pan must have some magnetic property such as iron or steel in order to work. Some Al or Cu pans have a magnetic Fe base welded on in order to work. OK?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Somebody put a Confused emoji on my reply.An aluminium pan WILL NOT heat up on an induction hob. The pan must have some magnetic property such as iron or steel in order to work. OK?

image.jpeg.21ca44991376267126ad1ddbaa976c5e.jpeg

Maybe that because you are unable to read and deflect from the OP.

The OP clearly stated that the pan DOES heat up. OK?

6 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

image.jpeg.21ca44991376267126ad1ddbaa976c5e.jpeg

Maybe that because you are unable to read and deflect from the OP.

The OP clearly stated that the pan DOES heat up. OK?

OK, I stand corrected. So if the Spot does not change, the pan IS NOT genuine.

A simple reply instead of the Confused and now this silly emoji would have been more acceptable, thanks.

Edited by KannikaP

22 hours ago, CallumWK said:

I just went to the store on lazada, and they have what looks as the same pan at 228 baht and 798 baht, so I think that answers the question

image.png.a9d953d55b9c0265cbb978c96af347de.pngimage.png.699f00df827ec88ffbbe591356a5b44b.png

Unless it’s the angle of the photos they look different to me the top one appears deeper and a different handle.

In any event Made in China / fake = the same.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, CallumWK said:

I just went to the store on lazada, and they have what looks as the same pan at 228 baht and 798 baht, so I think that answers the question

image.png.a9d953d55b9c0265cbb978c96af347de.pngimage.png.699f00df827ec88ffbbe591356a5b44b.png

The thickness seems considerably more on the higher priced one. More material, more cost.

• Agree 1