Yellow Fever inoculation over 70's

Lancelot01

I am taking a cruise around South America in the new year leaving from Southampton. The cruise company now require that I have evidence of a Yellow Fever inoculation or evidence of an exemption. 

Does anybody have experience of having such an inoculation in Thailand and if so, is it safe for over 70's. 

The NHS do not recommend the yellow fever vaccine to the over 60s unless travel is unavoidable , i have read a few reports  of bad reactions to the vaccine in the over 60s

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/yellow-fever/vaccination/#:~:text=People who may be able,breastfeeding babies under 9 months

https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/yellow-fever-vaccine-stamaril-and-fatal-adverse-reactions-extreme-caution-needed-in-people-who-may-be-immunosuppressed-and-those-60-years-and-older

I thought there was a newer vaccine, but worth checking with a reputable doctor 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

I am taking a cruise around South America in the new year leaving from Southampton. The cruise company now require that I have evidence of a Yellow Fever inoculation or evidence of an exemption. 

Does anybody have experience of having such an inoculation in Thailand and if so, is it safe for over 70's. 

Most hospitals will administer the vaccine. Side effects as other vaccines. Fever, swelling aso. I presume you're fit and healthy?

7 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Most hospitals will administer the vaccine. Side effects as other vaccines. Fever, swelling aso. I presume you're fit and healthy?

Many thanks. Yes I'm fit and healthy so I'll go and speak with my local hospital. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

Many thanks. Yes I'm fit and healthy so I'll go and speak with my local hospital. 

Assuming you are now in Thailand, your local hospital will not have it.

Since there is no yellow fever in Thailand, the  vaccine is not widely available here.

Where in Thailand do you live? The Mahidol Thai travel  clinic or MedConsult Clinic, both in Bangkok, are best options.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

Note - Most hospitals will not carry the Yellow Fever Vaccine, because there is no need for it in Thailand. 

Additionally - most hospitals will not have the Yellow Fever Vaccination Booklet...

... otherwise known as the 'International Certificate of Vaccination' (WHO approved format).

You will need a copy of this Certificate (*Yellow Booklet) at border control when travelling from an Country where Yellow Fever is a risk.

Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 16.27.03.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 1

Yellow Fever vaccination costs 82.00 GBP under UK National Health Service. Had mine when aged 53. No problems at all. As Richard has already advised, when entering Thailand they require sight of your Yellow Fever certificate when arriving from/via endemic countries. Good news is that one vaccination is now valid for life. Prior to 2016 you needed boosters every ten years. This applies retrospectively.

22 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

I had a yellow fever inoculation in my 40's, had it done Laem Chabang, at that time there was only 6 or so medical facilities in Thailand doing it. 

I felt OK afterwards, the problem I had was the medication that you take when entering the region, it gave me nightmares. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

22 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

My husband had no problem with the vaccination. Was done in Austria. He was mid 60 at the time. Easy to get in Bangkok. 

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Note - Most hospitals will not carry the Yellow Fever Vaccine, because there is no need for it in Thailand. 

Additionally - most hospitals will not have the Yellow Fever Vaccination Booklet...

... otherwise known as the 'International Certificate of Vaccination' (WHO approved format).

You will need a copy of this Certificate (*Yellow Booklet) at border control when travelling from an Country where Yellow Fever is a risk.

Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 16.27.03.png

Many thanks, I'm in Hua Hin. I'll check with the Bangkok Hospital here and see where I can go from there. 

Perhaps Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok as I doubt the branch hospitals will carry it.  Got my first Yellow Fever in 1970, prior to entry to Vietnam.  Then a booster in 1981, before going to Panama.  My wife and five children also were inoculated.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Fortean1 said:

Perhaps Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok as I doubt the branch hospitals will carry it.  Got my first Yellow Fever in 1970, prior to entry to Vietnam.  Then a booster in 1981, before going to Panama.  My wife and five children also were inoculated.

If going to Bangkok then go to either

https://www.medconsultasia.com/vaccinations/

or

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

Both of which definitely have it (and provide appropriate certificate) and at lower cost than a hospital.

Note that the MedConsult price is all inclusive whereas the Thai Travel Clinic adds on a doctors d=fee etc. With the result that the 2 places cost about the same so I would choose based on convenience.  Thai Travel Clinic will take longer (waits, doctor consultation first) whereas MedConsult is in & out quickly. But Thai Travel Clinic is much more convenient to public transport, right at Vistoryt Monument.

But certainly, try the private hospitals in Hua Hin first to see if you can avoid the trip to Bangkok.

• Thanks 1