Switching from Non-Immigrant OA to Non-Immigrant O on basis of Retirement

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Are you otherwise covered, or will be going without insurance?

I have a global medical insurance policy (excluding USA) with £1 million of annual in-patient cover (policy issued in the U.K.) so over 100 times the ฿400,000 in-patient requirement being re-introduced for OA annual extensions.

I have a high excess to keep the premiums down so self insuring to an extent but know I am covered if I have a serious accident or major health issue. 

As it is not issued by one of the Thai panel insurers and I have no outpatient cover it is not accepted by Immigration. Completely bonkers in my opinion which is why I am ditching my O-A Visa.

Having taken this policy out as a continuation policy of my employer scheme when I left employment many years ago I have no pre-existing conditions. If I  tried to get medical insurance now with a new insurer I would have several exclusions. 

Buying an annual Thai medical insurance policy with a huge excess and medical exclusions makes it worthless as I will never claim on it.

Edited by skorts
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, skorts said:

If I  tried to get medical insurance now with a new insurer I would have several exclusions. 

That is an issue for many.

Good you have excellent alternative.

Clearly you are better off with a non O with the process you outlined in OP.

• Agree 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

That is an issue for many.

Good you have excellent alternative.

Clearly you are better off with a non O with the process you outlined in OP.

Thanks for your reassurance Dr Jack. I wish I had switched a long time ago but I have been a bit concerned about compulsory medical insurance being introduced for O Visas too as it seems the next step. But I will switch and cross that bridge if it ever happens. 

Appreciate your feedback. You and others like Liquorice are doing a fantastic job supporting us all with your expertise through what can only be described as a minefield 🙏

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skorts said:

.....I  have been

a bit concerned about compulsory medical insurance being introduced for O Visas too as it seems the next step....

Much of that is scaremongering.

IF that was to eventuate then most likely other options would be available. 

In recent time LTV, DTV etc.

Make the switch to non O and chill.

Your financials are in place. Bank account etc.

Good move. 

• Thanks 1