Elderly Australian Caught Stealing Vitamin C in Chonburi

Georgealbert

11 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

According to store employees, this was his third attempt to steal from the pharmacy. On the two previous occasions, reports were filed with the Nong Prue Police Station, but no arrest was made at the time. During this latest incident, staff deliberately engaged Mr. Willington in conversation to stall for time until police arrived to arrest him.

3 strikes and your out old man... you had two warnings...

12 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

An 82-year-old Australian man was caught red-handed stealing a box of vitamin C from a pharmacy in Nong Prue, Bang Lamung district, Chonburi. The elderly suspect, identified as Mr. Bruce (surname withheld), was apprehended by police after staff from the store alerted authorities.

The incident occurred at a pharmacy across from Rai Wanasin Market, where Mr. Bruce was found with a box of vitamin C, valued at 360 baht, hidden in his right pants pocket. According to store employees, this was his third attempt to steal from the pharmacy. On the two previous occasions, reports were filed with the Nong Prue Police Station, but no arrest was made at the time. During this latest incident, staff deliberately engaged Mr. Willington in conversation to stall for time until police arrived to arrest him.

So, surname not withheld then?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

You feel that bad, go and pay his fine for him.  Buy him a crate of vitamin C pills as well.

He didn't "make a mistake", he went there to commit a crime, for a third time, at least the shop is only aware of 3 thefts.  

BTW, he lives in the LoS and is vitamin C deficient?  There's so much natural vitamin C available in the fruits and vegetables everywhere.  From the looks of that gut, I'll wager he doesn't have problems paying for beer.

Maybe he just nicked a beach-ball as well.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Is this in the law, under the law its the amount, prison sentence (not likely as under x amount of baht) but certainly deportation.

The store does not have the ability to set this price, unless it ended there and then he should have refused and allowed it to play out in court.

Yes my thoughts too...... the store does not create the law and should not define the punishments (fines). See too much of this in Thailand, signs ( in English go figure) claiming the fine will be xxxx baht for various reasons, but the amount seems arbitrary and defined by management. 'No Smoking, fine 5000 baht' for eg. I think police do seem to go along with it too as it is a compensation culture.  

Edited by jacko45k
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The problem is these Aussies originate from prisoners from England, you can't blame them, it's instinct 

Yes, and now the Australian government is actively stealing by making rules to avoid paying out pensions with rules made by Ned Kelly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, champers said:

Maybe cut an 82 year old a bit of slack; demonising him is OTT at that age.

Three times caught stealing! I dont think so. Unless he has been medically diagnosed with Kleptomania.
At 82 he should be setting a good example not one of taking things which belong to someone else.

10 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Is this in the law, under the law its the amount, prison sentence (not likely as under x amount of baht) but certainly deportation.

The store does not have the ability to set this price, unless it ended there and then he should have refused and allowed it to play out in court.

It's not the law but it is the store's policy to settle the issue. Some might think it harsh, but it seems fair to me. The store has given the guy a chance to settle out of court. If he chooses not to do that, he can take his chances in front of a judge.

12 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Could be any one of us one day.

Strongly disagree. Most of us have a plan B, and maybe even a plan C or plan D. One should always have a plan whereby if a certain threshold is reached (could be financial, health, whatever) they return to their homeland.

It's not my intention to appear harsh, but man, it strikes me as shameful when a foreigner is caught shoplifting in Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, still kicking said:

Nobody knows what the reason is for his shoplifting maybe he had a Thai wife who dumped him maybe he was just on an Aussie pension and could not afford to buy many things stop bashing nationalities what is tomorrow? Thai bashing, Pommie  bashing, Yankee bashing? Get real it could happen to all of us 

What is tomorrow? Did you just wake up? This could be called Bashing Now.

13 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

However, because of financial difficulties, he decided to steal the vitamins instead of purchasing them.

Dont want to forgo those afternoon Changs...

1 hour ago, Felton Jarvis said:

So now he dies in prison. Thailand: home of the death sentence for petty crime. 

He wouldn't go to prison for this. Probably a small fine of a few thousand baht and that would be it.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The problem is these Aussies originate from prisoners from England, you can't blame them, it's instinct 

We can't blame you for such comments, we don't make fun of the developmentally disabled. Here, let me get you another beer. 

Schlitzie.jpg

• Haha 2

Just now, itsari said:

What you condone is called extortion .

No, it's not extortion. In Thailand, if you are the victim of a crime, you can negotiate with the perpetrator to settle it in lieu of criminal charges being dropped.

So what many stores do is signs saying that it is their policy to charge anyone caught shoplifting 10 x the value of the stolen items, otherwise criminal charges will be pressed. Personally, I think the store is being decent, offering shoplifters a way out. Otherwise it's a date in court and as a foreigner with a criminal record, that means possible deportation.

Not uncommon for people to do compulsive things like shoplifting things that they can easily afford. Who knows what the old guy's cognitive abilities might be. When my mom got to be that age she wasn't all there. She would hide her pension money in the freezer in a cookie tin, she never forgot growing up in the great depression. 

• Like 1

Just now, mstevens said:

No, it's not extortion. In Thailand, if you are the victim of a crime, you can negotiate with the perpetrator to settle it in lieu of criminal charges being dropped.

So what many stores do is signs saying that it is their policy to charge anyone caught shoplifting 10 x the value of the stolen items, otherwise criminal charges will be pressed. Personally, I think the store is being decent, offering shoplifters a way out. Otherwise it's a date in court and as a foreigner with a criminal record, that means possible deportation.

I think this as a great way to resolve things amicably and respectfully. I had to do it once, and was happy with the outcome. In the US either the cops would shoot you or you'd get sued into bankruptcy. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

Here is a fun fact for you! Rich people have often Ben caught shoplifting! Not everybody is a twisted fool.

Winona Ryder is one, along with thousands of rich that prey on the poor in many ways.

1 minute ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I think this as a great way to resolve things amicably and respectfully. I had to do it once, and was happy with the outcome. In the US either the cops would shoot you or you'd get sued into bankruptcy. 

I have stolen from shops as a very early age .

But I never stole again after my mother tackled me on how i paid for the items i was ready to give as Christmas presents .

She told me to throw the artic;es  away.

Good lesson

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Old loser Tank top with a big fat disgusting gut.

Maybe he should try to get in shape he probably would not need Vit C.

That's actually how  most 82 year olds will look, with the exceptions of those who have taken care of themselves most of their lives. And everyone needs Vitamin C.