Elderly Australian Caught Stealing Vitamin C in Chonburi

Georgealbert

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If shoplifting is justified for any reason by anyone, they should volunteer to pay up the fines or whatever other expenses and recue that person/s.

Better still, why don't the people who "feel" for the shop lifters, get together and setup a fund for rescuing shoplifters?

No one can expect the shops to ignore shoplifting, surely?

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Is this in the law, under the law its the amount, prison sentence (not likely as under x amount of baht) but certainly deportation.

The store does not have the ability to set this price, unless it ended there and then he should have refused and allowed it to play out in court.

Would it be cheaper to play out in court, especially for a person who cant afford the price of vitamin C?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

I managed very large retail outlets in my country many years ago and this reported situation would never stand the test in Court.

He had not stolen the items until he left the store !

He had been caught on CCTV doing it previously twice before

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Ironmike said:

You have the love all the Loosers here bashing this poor old guy from Australia stupid aholes with nothing better then sitting at there computers bashing people,

Because we think that theft is wrong , people shouldn't steal from shops .

He is being criticised because he is a thief , he isn't being criticised because he's old or Australian 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Is this in the law, under the law its the amount, prison sentence (not likely as under x amount of baht) but certainly deportation.

The store does not have the ability to set this price, unless it ended there and then he should have refused and allowed it to play out in court.

It is a time honored tradition to give money to avoid jail. 

• Agree 1

On the one hand, I feel sorry for the Australian because times are hard for him. If he is deported he probably has nowhere to go. But he brought this on himself. He must have known that he would be arrested eventually. ... I'm disappointed that the automatic response by many posters lacks empathy. You may have money now, but you may be very poor in a year or more. Our thoughts, feelings,  and emotions attract our future. Bear in mind too, that the US, China, and Taiwan et al are preparing for World War 3 in 2027. How wealthy will you be then?

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Only a hypocritical Brit would find it funny.

Us old Brits still have a sense of humour. That's why we sent our criminals to OZ.😉

Edited by Gandtee
added words
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised petty theft only occurs in Thailand and is considered such a heinous offence it requires a flying squad of officers and accompanying press to effect the arrest and get it on the front page of the papers and social forums. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, renaissanc said:

On the one hand, I feel sorry for the Australian because times are hard for him. If he is deported he probably has nowhere to go. But he brought this on himself. He must have known that he would be arrested eventually. ... I'm disappointed that the automatic response by many posters lacks empathy. You may have money now, but you may be very poor in a year or more. Our thoughts, feelings,  and emotions attract our future. Bear in mind too, that the US, China, and Taiwan et al are preparing for World War 3 in 2027. How wealthy will you be then?

I quite understand your point of view. But when you say,  I feel sorry for the Australian because times are hard for him, it surprise me.

There are 1000's of people in Thailand in worse situations than him living their entire life in poverty, but not resorting to thieving.

Been poor (if), why settle down in a foreign country?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

he should have refused and allowed it to play out in court.

Like many Thai hi-sos who appeal & appeal until they are dead.  At 82 he might not need more than a couple.

4 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Us old Brits still have a sense of humour. 

Obviously so old you don't remember how many times that so called joke has been trotted out on these pages.

It's staler than the last time England won the world cup.

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

He wouldn't go to prison for this. Probably a small fine of a few thousand baht and that would be it.

Ands do you think he can afford bail if he's lucky enough to get it? being on remand here could easily kill you at that age...

14 hours ago, MarkBR said:

He could buy cheaper food which is more cost effective than vitamin pills.  Maybe dementia is starting. I assume his visa will be cancelled & he will be deported.

I don't get it the store calls the police and the shoplifter is fined but the fine is calculated according to the store policy not the laws of the land. So who enforces the fine if he doesnt pay...jail.?

15 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

"of financial difficulties,"

What visa / extension is he on?  If you can't afford a 1000bt purchase -  time to go home. The exchange rate is affecting all expats, I would think most of us have a "piggy bank (aka stashed cash)" to raid if needed.

because of financial difficulties, he decided to...make more bad decisions.

Go back to your country if you can't afford to live here, no matter what country you're from. Too many paupers that make bad life decisions to come to a county without sufficient funds to support themselves, AND don't have an adequate emergency fund.  Typical foreigner with only one single debit card, no CCs, small pension, etc, etc,  and no plan before they ever decided to live here.  

14 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Poor old bugger. 

Time to go back to Oz. 

He would probably be in more financial difficulty back home, he's an old man who handled out of desperation and he wont be the last, times are getting hard.