Elderly Australian Caught Stealing Vitamin C in Chonburi

Georgealbert

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, wavodavo said:

I don't get it the store calls the police and the shoplifter is fined but the fine is calculated according to the store policy not the laws of the land. So who enforces the fine if he doesnt pay...jail.?

Guessing the store would rather make a profit than letting the court decide, whereas they'd get nothing. A business can drop the charges in this case and it would be up to the police to also charge him, which probably wouldn't happen because then it would require paperwork.

Edited by fredwiggy

Maybe it is some sort of old age mental illness creeping in, if he had the means to pay ten times the value of the goods then he had the money to pay for the single items at retail price.

I was expected to be stopped in a Lotus Super Store yesterday in Phuket, I put most of the items from my trolley onto the conveyor belt, and they were put through the till by the cashier but I had two items left in the bottom of the trolley and walked past the cashier with the trolley, no comment and I so paid and walked off with the goods.

The two items had been bought in another shop (I had the receipt ready just in case), the items were available in Lotus but nothing was said, they were in the trolley as I do not use bags to save on plastic and I wanted to free up my hands to do my Lotus shopping.

So it must be really easy to steal from such places I thought afterward, (No I am not tempted  😄).

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

We see all the time these type of fines, such as 2,000 baht for smoking in a hotel room etc. or taking Durian into a hotel.

Makes me wonder, are these' fines' actually legal?

Certainly if the Browns get 50% of it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BerndD said:

Certainly if the Browns get 50% of it.

Those are costs and published openly in the hotels etc, same as a service charge on a restaurant menu.

But I doubt there is an open sign in this particular chemist for everyone to see which states thieves will be charged 10 times the value of what they have stolen.

I wonder what the law is, as he would have to leave the premises for the item to have been stolen in the UK for example, otherwise we could be arrested for putting an item in a bag in our shopping trolley. 

9 minutes ago, Scottie12 said:

Don't assume at 82 you're senile. I'm 82 and look fitter than him,dress better than him and am not so daft as to be caught stealing.

Of course not, thre is biological variation, so it could be one of the forms of dementia - especially after you go into your 80s.  Depends on genetics & lifestyle.  Some keep their marbles & some lose them - slower or faster.