Driver Flees Scene After Attempting to Extinguish Flames in Bus Fire Tragedy

webfact

image.jpeg

video screenshot

A shocking video has emerged showing the moments when Mr. Saman Janphut, the 48-year-old driver of a school bus that caught fire, attempted to open emergency exits and find a fire extinguisher to help.

This incident occurred during a field trip organized by Wat Khao Phra Ya Sangharam School in Uthai Thani, resulting in 23 fatalities and several injuries.

Following the incident, the driver fled the scene, prompting authorities to launch an investigation. The Department of Land Transport has since suspended the operating license of the rental company involved in the incident and is reviewing safety measures.

Mr. Saman eventually surrendered to the police at Wichai Chai Police Station, where he was taken into custody by investigators. He was then transported in a black Fortuner to Khu Khot Police Station in Pathum Thani, the site of the fire.

During the fire, surveillance footage captured the bus engulfed in flames. In the video, Mr. Saman can be seen exiting the driver’s side of the bus, which was already on fire.

He initially attempted to open the middle doors, but when that failed, he ran to the emergency exit at the rear of the bus. However, the door wouldn't budge, and the flames intensified, leading him to run around to the back of the bus, reported Matichon Online.

A TikTok user shared footage of the fire, showing Mr. Saman rushing to retrieve a fire extinguisher provided by a Good Samaritan. He made an effort to spray the flames engulfing the bus before fleeing the scene.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-02

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JoePai said:

The big question (amongst many) is why could the doors not be opened ?

This is Thailand. Safety First. from self installed Soundsytem first, maybe later make a Service.

I never let my Boy go withe the Schoolbus in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Now the truth is slowly emerging, so he did try to extinguish the fire, and help those inside, and Astoundingly the Bus is 54 F-king years old !!, that had recently had a Benz engine fitted, I wonder how old that engine was ? I doubt very much it was a new Engine. When was the Bus last serviced and checked, the LTO don't do tests to any real world normal standards, if you have any knowledge of how testing HGV or PSVs go and watch them testing, it is abysmal, they don't even jack up the wheels even to check the wheel bearings, (same with cars) It's a disgrace. Falang Mechanic "Can Not" ....

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, actonion said:

That were supposed to be inspected  a couple of months ago a report said

Well they must have been working for the passengers to board the fated bus. Inspections here are cursory at best. TIT. Go watch the tests at the LTOs on HGVs

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well they must have been working for the passengers to board the fated bus. Inspections here are cursory at best. TIT. Go watch the tests at the LTOs on HGVs

Yeah, one look at vehicles driving down the road here, and you have to wonder what an inspection really is or used for, because it ain't working!

My household has been stunned by the grief that must be felt by the parents of the kids who didn't come home a very somber mood at my boy's school this morning as all trips to the zoo today and tomorrow canceled.

We can only hope witnessing such a horrific slaughter of innocents may lead to a desperately needed safety overhaul of everything that moves here  🤔Rip     

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

My household has been stunned by the grief that must be felt by the parents of the kids who didn't come home a very somber mood at my boy's school this morning as all trips to the zoo today and tomorrow canceled.

We can only hope witnessing such a horrific slaughter of innocents may lead to a desperately needed safety overhaul of everything that moves here  🤔Rip     

I believe they already did a huge change not long ago, that buses with a certain amount of seats could not be older than like 10-15yrs? There was also something about double decker buses being phased out. I don't see how a 54 yr old bus would even be allowed on the streets.