Corruption scandal hits the brakes: Thailand’s bus industry whistleblows dirty dealings

snoop1130

Corruption undermines everything in Thailand - it is almost like a way of life Maybe the leaders should think about how the country got to this state of behavior. People do what they think they can get away with and if they see the Top people taking bribes with no consequences then they do the same thing - People behave by the examples they see  

3 hours ago, VBF said:

I'm assuming that also, not only that, but I'm assuming that if it does exist it will be subject to a "financial determination" to be submitted in a brown envelope 🙄

And I am assuming that you are spot on.

Edited by Gottfrid

2 minutes ago, actonion said:

And they have who knows how many people working  and earning a salary in the anti corruptiom department, what a waste of space they are

They will be the biggest "earners" by far.

On 10/5/2024 at 1:05 PM, Confuscious said:

For everything on this planet, there is only a market if there are buyers.
Stop the buyers to buy/rent "bribed items" and the bribery will vanish too.
Not recket science.

If the people who rent/buy a bus "DULY INSPENT" that bus and refuse it if some minimal safery standards are not followed, the bus transport industry will update their bus fleet to avoid losses.

The schools and other industries should hire people who know what inspections to carry out before allowing anybody to accept the bus(ses).

There should be also an independent institution (in Belgium exists "Test Aankoop") at the top level where goods that are not according to the safety standards can be reported and banned from sale/rent and eventually prosecuted.
Also, in Belgium, many departments have an independant "OMBUDSMAN" where users/buyers can go if the normal way offers no solution.
Social Media offers a very good tool to expose offenders.

You make good points but, running in parallel with the corruption in the Transport Ministry and Department of Land Transport which I mentioned yesterday, we have the same in the Education Department. Funds are provided for everything, including educational trips, but first the minister, another Chidchob, will take a cut for him and his staff (why else would an expoliceman be Minsiter of Education?), then the School Director will take a cut him/herself and staff, and what is left must pay for the bus so it goes to the cheapest operator, who provides a 54 year old death trap spruced up with paint, stickers, and ornaments to look "new".

On another parallel line we have the Ministry of the Interior, Khun Anutin, who has been filling his own pockets for years, and now oversees the police. As noted here many times the senior police officers buy their positions to get the returns, while the juniors have to buy their own uniforms and equipment, so are only interested in the many ways of lining their own pockets, and no one is enforcing the laws. I agree with others, that only something like a revolution, or a major political movement from FFP/MFP/PP as long as they can stay clean, seems to have a chance of bringing about change. In the past, even the Democrat Party, led by Chuan Leekpai who was demonstrably clean, was tainted by the other members who were needed to fund the party, like Suthep Thaugsuban. It remains to be seen if (i) the FFP/MFP/PP line can finally get the election support they need, and (ii) if they can find enough honest people, with enough private wealth or income, to take on the senior government roles without needing to fill their own pockets. Quite a big ask.

11 minutes ago, Dr B said:

You make good points but, running in parallel with the corruption in the Transport Ministry and Department of Land Transport which I mentioned yesterday, we have the same in the Education Department. Funds are provided for everything, including educational trips, but first the minister, another Chidchob, will take a cut for him and his staff (why else would an expoliceman be Minsiter of Education?), then the School Director will take a cut him/herself and staff, and what is left must pay for the bus so it goes to the cheapest operator, who provides a 54 year old death trap spruced up with paint, stickers, and ornaments to look "new".

On another parallel line we have the Ministry of the Interior, Khun Anutin, who has been filling his own pockets for years, and now oversees the police. As noted here many times the senior police officers buy their positions to get the returns, while the juniors have to buy their own uniforms and equipment, so are only interested in the many ways of lining their own pockets, and no one is enforcing the laws. I agree with others, that only something like a revolution, or a major political movement from FFP/MFP/PP as long as they can stay clean, seems to have a chance of bringing about change. In the past, even the Democrat Party, led by Chuan Leekpai who was demonstrably clean, was tainted by the other members who were needed to fund the party, like Suthep Thaugsuban. It remains to be seen if (i) the FFP/MFP/PP line can finally get the election support they need, and (ii) if they can find enough honest people, with enough private wealth or income, to take on the senior government roles without needing to fill their own pockets. Quite a big ask.

What you say is true, But the more greed and corruption the more lives are lost  the only way to stop it is the people not governments you have seen what happens if the people try to put in a government they want it will happen time and time again the people need to change and Not accept bribery and corruption but will this happen No!! so same same  plenty of lives left !!!

Focusing on the bus company.. they need to be held liable for manslaughter and forced out of business. I won't speak the truth where this starts (you all know) as I understand where I am living, enough said.. God be with these families 

4 hours ago, Dr B said:

On another parallel line we have the Ministry of the Interior, Khun Anutin, who has been filling his own pockets for years, and now oversees the police. As noted here many times the senior police officers buy their positions to get the returns, while the juniors have to buy their own uniforms and equipment, so are only interested in the many ways of lining their own pockets, and no one is enforcing the laws. I agree with others, that only something like a revolution, or a major political movement from FFP/MFP/PP as long as they can stay clean, seems to have a chance of bringing about change. In the past, even the Democrat Party, led by Chuan Leekpai who was demonstrably clean, was tainted by the othaer members who were needed to fund the party, like Suthep Thaugsuban. It remains to be seen if (i) the FFP/MFP/PP line can finally get the election support they need, and (ii) if they can find enough honest people, with enough private wealth or income, to take on the senior government roles without needing to fill their own pockets. Quite a big ask.

That's why I said that this would only work if the departments would be watched by an INDEPENDENT party who would have a say on the decision and has the power to file a court case against them.
An "OMBUDSMAN" like we have in Europe.
I was 5 years ago required to pay a tax in my country which I refused.
The tax office treatened with "Foreclosers", taking my Pension, etc...
I braught the case to the attention of the Ombudsman and a week later the case was cleared in my favor.
There are many examples on how they handled bribery in Europe succesful.
I also menionned a public magazine, "Test aankoop", which is fully independent and they have private lawyers who handle cases of bribery or Scam and most of these cases are closed succesfull.
That's the only way out of this misery for Thailand.
The whole thing starts only when users (parents) have enough of this sh*t and starts to take the law in their own hands.
If a school organise a field trip and the bus is not adequate, don't send your children to that field trip until the school look for adequate transport!!!