Could do with some support and advice here ?

The Cobra

I’ve been in a relationship for just over three years now. We had a year of long-distance, followed by one year living in the UK, and now we've been here for almost a year. She’s 31 and I’m 53. She struggled to adjust to life in the UK, so we moved back here where she feels more at home.

She’s affectionate, but if I’m being honest, she lacks thoughtfulness and can be a bit lazy. Fortunately, she’s not obsessed with money, and food is more her thing. We also don’t have to support her family, which helps.

One thing that has really been bothering me is that she doesn’t seem capable of considering anyone’s needs or feelings other than her own. I’m always thinking about her well-being—whether she’s happy or if there’s something she needs. I handle most of the household chores, like cooking, and I don’t mind it since I prefer things done a certain way. She’s more than happy to leave it all to me. But whenever we have even a minor disagreement, it escalates into a full-blown argument. She’ll tell me she’s going to leave, pack her things, and then change her mind, not letting me leave either. It's like she gets trapped in her own emotions and can’t back down. Her outbursts can be really intense, and if I try to ignore it, she just escalates until she gets a reaction from me.

The reasons I haven’t walked away yet are mainly because I worry about what might happen to her if I leave, and I dread the drama of packing up and trying to get out. It’s frustrating because apart from these episodes, things are actually going really well. We’ve built a decent life together here, and there’s a lot to look forward to.

I think some of her behavior may be linked to hormonal changes. She was on some type of contraception before that made her very volatile for a few months. Then she switched to a different pill, and everything was smooth for half a year. Now that she’s stopped taking it, her unpredictable mood swings have returned. After each argument, she always apologizes and promises it won’t happen again, but it’s a cycle I’m not sure she can break.

Most of the time, I’m content, but when things get bad, it’s unbearable. If I look at our relationship overall, I feel like I’m giving much more than I’m receiving. My biggest worry is how things will be in the future, especially as I get older or if something happens to me. I’ve put some money into fixing up her place, but I’m still in a position where I could leave if I needed to. Financially, I could live modestly here on my own.

So now I’m at a crossroads—should I leave before it gets worse or try to push through and see if things improve?

I’d appreciate any helpful advice and please leave out the cheaps shots and trolling.

Sounds a bit hormonal the way she gets angry then apologizes.

Does it usually happen the week or so before her period? 

Where did you meet her? If she was a former sex worker she probably has a lot of  irreparable mental damage.

Is she working now? Is that why you do all the cooking and cleaning.

Millions of single attractive women in Thailand, many with normal personalities.

I would cut her off and get a new one. She probably won’t change and when she hits menopause you will be regretting it. 

Ideally you don’t want to be doing the housework. Find one that is happy to cook, clean, s… and f….. 

You only live once.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

I think some of her behavior may be linked to hormonal changes. She was on some type of contraception before that made her very volatile for a few months. Then she switched to a different pill, and everything was smooth for half a year. Now that she’s stopped taking it, her unpredictable mood swings have returned. After each argument, she always apologizes and promises it won’t happen again, but it’s a cycle I’m not sure she can break.

Did she take drugs? Does she take drugs? Are you sure?

Because (illegal) drugs are often part of that behavior.

I don't think the situation will get any better by doing nothing. So, apart from possible drug problem, I guess you have to put the foot down - and keep it down. Behave, or else.

Otherwise, she will continue like this forever. And then maybe in 10 years you still ask yourself why you didn't finish this bad situation already. Do it! 

And live where you want to live. You are the boss - or at least you should be the boss. 

32 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

I’ve been in a relationship for just over three years now. We had a year of long-distance, followed by one year living in the UK, and now we've been here for almost a year. She’s 31 and I’m 53. She struggled to adjust to life in the UK, so we moved back here where she feels more at home.

She’s affectionate, but if I’m being honest, she lacks thoughtfulness and can be a bit lazy. Fortunately, she’s not obsessed with money, and food is more her thing. We also don’t have to support her family, which helps.

One thing that has really been bothering me is that she doesn’t seem capable of considering anyone’s needs or feelings other than her own. I’m always thinking about her well-being—whether she’s happy or if there’s something she needs. I handle most of the household chores, like cooking, and I don’t mind it since I prefer things done a certain way. She’s more than happy to leave it all to me. But whenever we have even a minor disagreement, it escalates into a full-blown argument. She’ll tell me she’s going to leave, pack her things, and then change her mind, not letting me leave either. It's like she gets trapped in her own emotions and can’t back down. Her outbursts can be really intense, and if I try to ignore it, she just escalates until she gets a reaction from me.

The reasons I haven’t walked away yet are mainly because I worry about what might happen to her if I leave, and I dread the drama of packing up and trying to get out. It’s frustrating because apart from these episodes, things are actually going really well. We’ve built a decent life together here, and there’s a lot to look forward to.

Most of the time, I’m content, but when things get bad, it’s unbearable. If I look at our relationship overall, I feel like I’m giving much more than I’m receiving. My biggest worry is how things will be in the future, especially as I get older or if something happens to me. I’ve put some money into fixing up her place, but I’m still in a position where I could leave if I needed to. Financially, I could live modestly here on my own.

So now I’m at a crossroads—should I leave before it gets worse or try to push through and see if things improve?

I’d appreciate any helpful advice and please leave out the cheaps shots and trolling.

At 53 I had hardly begun my relationship with Thailand, its people........specific individuals.

It seems an age ago.

Don't waste any more time where you are now.........Thailand is the easiest place in the world to "move on".

Edited by Enoon
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Its a pretty common issue with Thai women or Thais in general, in my opinion. I've seen this a lot over the decades of being here. They have difficulty maintaining emotions in any disagreement and can often over compensate for little issues.  I think its part of their cultural upbring in that they must hold their emotions in and not air them. Then when things get disturbed they don't have the emotion control once things are going even a little uneasy and tend to blow little issues up to be more than they are. I think they have a problem with spatial thinking and it shows in various situations.

My wife does the same things and I've seen it in her sister too. When it starts to escalate its my experience the hard you try to explain or de-escalate it the long it goes. I've taken to just say that I think it would be better to talk a little later about the issue and then remove myself by going outside or a trip to 7 11 and give it some time to cool down. If its truly an insugnifican issue its not worth the mental gymnastics to deal with and if its bigger the cooling off period seems to help 

Edited by Dan O
  • Like 1

So, she is 22 years younger and you somehow expect to be on the same emotional level?

She obviously thinks every day she is missing out on life by being with you.  The BIG indicator of this is that she was unable to adjust and wanted to come back home to father Thailand.

And being lazy is no excuse. I am actually a maid in the house, but wife works full time earning decent living. If she wasn't working and she was lazy, she would be out of the door. Nothing worse than lazy women. 

Edited by Celsius
  • Confused 1

Google Anhedonia. It's a part of clinical depression, and you'll easily spot the symptoms if she has them. Been there. If she has this, it will take a lot of patience to stay, because it's in her hands, and if she disagrees with what she has to do, things will not improve and can get worse. Mood swings are not supposed to be extreme, and happen all the time. She's a little young for menopause., but it's possible . Medications can give a person mood swings also. Wanting to be back here is part of a depressed persons life as "normal". They need easy, routine things to just get by day to day. If she's sleeping a lot, likes to buy online a lot, gets angry easily, doesn't like to socialize with others, uses drugs or excessive drinking to feel good, these are symptoms of anhedonia, and depression. Good luck.

So what is your question? This is how women behave, they are like that and as you already know it means nothing when they scream things when angry. Just leave them a while instead of throwing oil on the fire and life moves on. And no, you don't bring it up again later on for debates.

You need to change your own attitude,

Stop being confrontational, stop arguing, no mansplaining.

If you're really even tempered and fairly placid, she won't be able to pick fights.

I've learned to do all that, and it makes our cultural differences much easier to manage.

We were the same age as you and your misses when we married, 15 years on and it's great.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1