Thailand Live Wednesday 9 October 2024

9. 22

Illegal land occupation

10. 52

New Law Allows Buyers to Inspect Online Orders Before Payment

11. 0

Final tenant eviction clears way for SRT high-speed rail project

12. 46

First Conviction in Victoria for Nazi Salute: Self-Proclaimed Nazi Faces Sentencing

13. 49

Suvarnabhumi Visa Exempt - Change of Tactic Applied

14. 4

Where can you sell things online in Thailand

15. 11

Should A Woman Be Allowed to hold the office of President of the USA?

Got a pigeon problem? Time to break out the LASER!!!

Crossy

33 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I ordered the most powerful, green "laser pointer" I spotted on Lazada. "3W" it says unlike your normal pointer of about 3mW!!

Also available on AliExpress, possibly drop shipped from them,

IMG_1596.thumb.png.f27c12452f82eb2b75a151f53df471e0.png

and available with a charger if you don’t have one

IMG_1595.thumb.png.496a5482062e7baae983d24534eaf9e0.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john donson said:

wow if that is the laser pointer you use, you can burn a hole in them, saw some demos before, things catching fire from it

I have a 10w laser, set it up on a spare 3D printer so I can do laser engraving... Mmmmm burning wood smell !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are some very powerful laser pointers on Lazada.  Ones that can even light a cigarette. 

I bought a 30mW Superfire one about 2 weeks ago. Thought I'd take it back to NZ with me... But NO. 

Completely illegal unless you are a member of an astrology group/company or part of the Defence Force or Police. 

Even having one on your person is a chargeable offence.  You also cannot give, sell or buy one unless you are as above. 

When I was working in the Middle East, I took several lasers back to NZ.  But times have changed. 

I'll keep my 30mW one here to scare away the birds. Even our oldest dog doesn't like the laser.  Young pup doesn't care. 

Nice one. In previous years, have used the fishing line trick suspended couple inches above railing on a balcony that they would always roost on. Bird crap everywhere. Not a one landed afterward and we could go away for weeks on end and return to no droppings.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

WARNING Lasers of the type indicated here can cause permanent eye damage. Common sense is required and no pointing at aircraft (they are not big silver birds), people or pets. Use the regular red pointers to amuse/annoy the cat.

Anyway.

A few weeks back Madam was moaning to the builder's merchant that pigeons roosting on our gable-end are, er, depositing on the patio roof which now has solar panels which really don't like pigeon poop.

He told her to use a laser pointer! Hmm.

A bit of research showed that laser bird scarers really are a thing. Apparently, the birds perceive the beam as a solid object and avoid it, no actual contact with the creatures and certainly not in their eyes, that would be unethical (even with pigeons). Green is the colour of choice for birds.

Commercial units are not exactly low-cost of course so it was time to do some shopping.

I ordered the most powerful, green "laser pointer" I spotted on Lazada. "3W" it says unlike your normal pointer of about 3mW!!

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i265013902-s411903063.html

The beast that arrived would not look out of place in the hands of Luke Skywalker, Obi Wan Kenobi or Yoda!! Apparently green lightsabers are wielded by Jedi warriors.

aa37fe2b87dde8364b5f4c17b336ec9b.jpg_2200x2200q80.jpg_.webp

It does come with diffusers to make pretty patterns, these are still in their plastic bag :whistling:

Charged the supplied 18640 Li-Ion battery on the supplied charger, time to test.

I checked the input power and I reckon the laser is nearer to 2W but so what!

It works like a charm, the birds see the beam coming and scatter, no need to actually hit them so no smell of barbecued pigeon. Walk around the house aiming towards the beasts a couple of times and they don't come back.

After a week of use at dusk when they are seeking somewhere to roost, we are now down to one or two each evening, Madam encourages them to leave (she's evidently got an evil streak).

It works at long range (commercial units of similar power claim several km), aimed at the next house over (100m or so) and their pigeons scattered too.

I wonder if that will work for me.

A few of the rats with wings seem to live above the ceiling of my MIL old house and they are certainly not scared of the cats we had.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

A few of the rats with wings seem to live above the ceiling of my MIL old house and they are certainly not scared of the cats we had.

If you can point the beam at their roost, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

We are owned by a cat but the beasties are well out of her reach, actual rats however are a different kettle of fish 🙂 

• Thanks 1

I have a battery powered BB gun, and shoot at them when I hear them roosting.

In the past 2 year they built 4 houses behind mine, and one opposite my house as well.

Their roofs are full of pigeons, sometimes up to 20 on just one roof. I rarely see any on my roof

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I've noticed female cats are better hunters.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We are owned by a cat but the beasties are well out of her reach, actual rats however are a different kettle of fish 🙂 

Meaning they are a kettle of rats? Oh my.

That's disgusting!

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I should be able to get them as they fly out of my MIL old place onto the roof of our house.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Our cat is a female stray that turned up one evening and adopted us.

My wife started feeding it and she has never moved out.

Absolutely useless at hunting anything though.

A social cat when she wants to be, or when she is hungry.

Absolutely useless at hunting anything though - Your Wife is feeding her too much!

A social cat when she wants to be, or when she is hungry -Well, I guess most cats are that.

I had a male cat (a stray) who enjoyed petting. After about an year, the fellow disappeared in to thin air!

• Haha 1

Just now, ravip said:

Absolutely useless at hunting anything though - Your Wife is feeding her too much!

A social cat when she wants to be, or when she is hungry -Well, I guess most cats are that.

I had a male cat (a stray) who enjoyed petting. After about an year, the fellow disappeared in to thin air!

Actually, as I get up before my wife, I have ended up feeding the cat in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Actually, as I get up before my wife, I have ended up feeding the cat in the morning.

She has her slave then 🙂 

We feed "ours" in the evening, fresh water and a couple of tablespoons of dry cat food. She also has somewhere sheltered to sleep. Not really a social cat but she does sometimes hang out under my desk crunching up a nice juicy rat 🙂

6 minutes ago, tandor said:

would a low powered Laser pointer or a Dog-deterer-torch work against Geckos?

Possibly not, our jinjoks will go after the red dot thinking it's edible.