Car Cuts Off Ambulance Twice While Transporting Patient from Khon Kaen to Chonburi

Georgealbert

There is never an excuse for this American style road rage and brake checking, whatever type of vehicle targeted. It is particularly abhorrent when done to an emergency vehicle.  For those trying to blame the ambulance because they consider many overuse lights and sirens, grow up, look around, you're in Asia.

In this case the wide highway was empty, the offender was not blocked in even if the ambulance may have been hogging the right lane. Again, no excuse for such dangerous, criminal behavior. 

The route away from available treatment in KK to Chonburi suggests it was more patient transport rather than seeking treatment. The family following suggests to me they may have been taking a dying person home. Thais like to draw their last breath in the family home where friends and relatives can visit with the person or view them after death. Roadside tents are set up for feasting and donating of funds. A traditional ritual. 

11 minutes ago, leonard beaven said:

Whereas I don't condon the driver,maybe dui,but point out a problem with ambulance drivers who most time fail to switch off their emergency light when not on a job.Very often I see ambulances behind me with lights on,I always give only to note they are not on a job.

Thank you for giving us your observations about use of ambulance emergency lights that coincide with my own observations.

Thai drivers are fully aware of the practice..

5 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Why was the ambulance hogging the right hand lane when there was no one to the inside? This along with him probably driving slowly (the speed limit), I expect is what upset the driver.

Has to be a reason for his annoyance and now the ambulance driver wants to rest his case on being a life saver

• Agree 1

I had the misfortune of being transported by ambulance from Hua Hin to Bangkok in 2009

To say the driver was a lunatic would be kind to him.

My wife, a doctor and a nurse were bounced all over the place. I had thoughts of being tossed out the back door.

This fool must have alienated half of Bangkok

When we alighted at the hospital, I noticed my wife praying.

I asked why pray and she said it was for the nurse and doctor on their return trip 

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Your understanding of the article is wrong .

The family of the patiant was following the ambulance . What does that indicate to you Sir?

It would indicate that the ambulance could not have been in any hurry to reach where ever it was going 

Obtuse much? 

The Police can ask the judge to ban the driver from driving for (X) years, I expect, and to enjoy some jail time in the overcrowded Bangkok Hilton followed by 1,000 hours of community service. That will teach the driver a lesson he'll never forget. It will also reach the daily news and act as a warning to other Stupids.

11 minutes ago, itsari said:

Thank you for giving us your observations about use of ambulance emergency lights that coincide with my own observations.

Thai drivers are fully aware of the practice..

Maybe they are under a tight schedule that you are not aware of, such as handing over the ambulance at the end of their shift when it will be used for a specific purpose that you are not aware of.

2 hours ago, Vibora99 said:

The perfect man spoke. Now that I have also needed to impose the penalties. Why was the ambulance going on the right?

What does it matter where the ambulance is going? Does that make the person who take over two time and break in front of the ambulance less wrong?

Also, what does my person, and any relation to my perfection or not has to do with anything regarding this topic?

3 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

Maybe they are under a tight schedule that you are not aware of, such as handing over the ambulance at the end of their shift when it will be used for a specific purpose that you are not aware of.

Understand your comment and perhaps the driver is on a promise at home

2 hours ago, itsari said:

Many ambulance drivers are driving with sirens blaring and lights flashing with a non urgent patiant or no patiant at all .

Hard to take them seriously 

Don't think that is a good comment. The video shows the road is clear and indeed the ambulance was not moving at speed nor sounding sirens either. Siens were used when the car blocked the amulance...aon a clear road.The video shows it was a deliberate act to delay or stop the amubulance not once but twice. The driver of the car should receive a s jail entence.

3 hours ago, itsari said:

Many ambulance drivers are driving with sirens blaring and lights flashing with a non urgent patiant or no patiant at all .

Hard to take them seriously 

If the ambulance has its emergency lights flashing and using sirens, one has to assume it is an emergency. To assume there is not a patient in the ambulance is just your assumption, and a dangerous one. Is it not possible the ambulance is carrying emergency medical supplies, or even a body transplant organ!? Common sense dictates to move out of the way of any emergency vehicle, it is not for you to decide its purpose.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, I know it was harsh, but nothing really seems to work here. Such idiots do not belong on the streets. Just continuing with a wai, sorry and 500-2000 baht fine will never cut it. They just have to learn the hard way. 🙂 

Make them work at the morgue at the hospital for no wages for a while, and show them what could be the results of their "macho" behaviour. Take away their licence (and car) for a year, and  and a bit of community service wouldn't go amiss either, because as you say "a wai, sorry and 500-2000 baht fine" would be like a slap on the wrist for these idiots.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, parallelman said:

Don't think that is a good comment. The video shows the road is clear and indeed the ambulance was not moving at speed nor sounding sirens either. Siens were used when the car blocked the amulance...aon a clear road.The video shows it was a deliberate act to delay or stop the amubulance not once but twice. The driver of the car should receive a s jail entence.

38 minutes ago, CecilM said:

Too many ambulances drive with light/sound but no patient. Had to take them seriously anymore. 

And you know this how?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

Make them work at the morgue at the hospital for no wages for a while, and show them what could be the results of their "macho" behaviour. Take away their licence (and car) for a year, and  and a bit of community service wouldn't go amiss either, because as you say "a wai, sorry and 500-2000 baht fine" would be like a slap on the wrist for these idiots.

Agree, that is also an alternative solution that might work.

Thai Rak Thai = Thais love Thais!

Only once the culprit is booked for a healthy term into Bang Kwang or Klong Prem, made him coughing up a six digit fine and get the car impounded for good, only then this pristine example of selfishness will be brought to a screeching halt. 

But, as we all know, Thailand is blessed with a good set of laws; the only shortcoming though is the absence of implementation. It will happen again and again and again. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

This was a deliberate and provocative act by the driver. Loss of license for a year, a serious fine - say 100,000 baht - and/or 6 months in jail. Followed by 3 years probation with any further offense committed within that time span a mandatory 2 years in jail. 

Impeding an ambulance is a very serious and most egregious offense. Especially in this situation when there were no other vehicles on the road. 

21 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, I know it was harsh, but nothing really seems to work here. Such idiots do not belong on the streets. Just continuing with a wai, sorry and 500-2000 baht fine will never cut it. They just have to learn the hard way. 🙂 

with all the death and destruction on the roads one could be forgiven for thinking they have already decided on  "the hard way",  They just haven't started learning yet

• Agree 1

One of the big problems here in Thailand is that the emergency vehicles drive around with their emergency lights on even when there is no emergency, for example how many of you see the police trucks just cruising around with their flashing lights on for no reason at all. It is about time that Thailand regulated the use on the emergency lights and made the Blue & Red lights for police, ambulance and fire vehicles only and only to be used in an emergency.

5 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

with all the death and destruction on the roads one could be forgiven for thinking they have already decided on  "the hard way",  They just haven't started learning yet

Yeah, that is also one way of looking at things. It´s actually amazing how long time it takes to learn and understand here, if ever.

40 minutes ago, sambum said:

And you know this how?

I know of  this because I have been in an ambulance which did exactly that ,  just to jump the queue, There were 4 of us in it all allegedly covid positive and all asymptomatic so no real emergency at all. He drove normally initially then later went a bit berserk when held up in traffic.  On with the flashing lights and the siren and weaving in and out of traffic like a madman, 

• Like 1