Why are most movies released post-2000 unwatchable?

16 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

It seems that the year 2000 marks the divide between some decent Hollywood film-making pre-2000, and what has now become garbage films that are not watchable.

Why is this?

Pandering to overseas markets? 

Dumbing down of content and themes?

Fear of offending any segment of the movie-goer market?

Lack of reading on the part of the public who watches the new garbage films?

Other reasons?

Has America completely lost any semblance of having a meaningful culture, these days?

We know that there has been a sharp divide in quality which happened 25 years ago...

But why?

Almost entirely a subjective opinion, though I agree with Dinsdale that a black “ Snow White” seems just too counterintuitive. Not having seen it I don’t know how or if they dealt with that inconsistency.

I don’t recall any dwarves in “Snow White and the Huntsman” so no problem with that. I wasn’t really watching though, just glanced up as my wife was viewing it.

I have to say I’ve enjoyed a number of non-US films. Hollywood does not have a monopoly on decent movies.

Edited by Kwaibill
Amplification

There are a limited number of story lines and we are old so we have seen them all many times. I use bit torrent and feel that  most movies are worth exactly what I pay for them 😉 

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Why are most movies released post-2000 unwatchable?

Because they (have to?) cater for and are tailored toward the American market.

Wrong.The distorting factor in movies over two decades has been catering for the China market.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I though the latest Dune was the best of many. The one with Kyle MacLachlan was awful.

The only explanation I can come up with for your opinion is that you never read the book, which would be essential to understand what was happening.

Reading the book would make you a fanboy which you'd need to be to think the movie was good

Number of great movies are produced every year but are limited in volume...

Hollywood caters to the overall and average movie goer who wants junk and action films...Great acting is beyond the average viewer so Hollywood produces to what the viewers want and can handle cognitively....Could you imagine Americans trying to understand western European films?  more of Fast and Furious Xll....burn baby burn

9 minutes ago, Anthony mellows said:

Writers,directors of movies nowadays are too self indulgent, and out of touch with what ordinary people want to see. Joker 2 movie a good example.

Part of the problem is we have changed, when i rewatch movie, time and time again it's disappointing 

21 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

It seems that the year 2000 marks the divide between some decent Hollywood film-making pre-2000, and what has now become garbage films that are not watchable.

Why is this?

Pandering to overseas markets? 

Dumbing down of content and themes?

Fear of offending any segment of the movie-goer market?

Lack of reading on the part of the public who watches the new garbage films?

Other reasons?

Has America completely lost any semblance of having a meaningful culture, these days?

We know that there has been a sharp divide in quality which happened 25 years ago...

But why?