English Tourist Riding Wrong Way on Jomtien Beach Road Crashes into Parked Car

Georgealbert

First, as a Brit it must be impossible to drive the wrong way in Thailand. Left is left!

2 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

Foreigners learn from Thais that any direction on any surface is the way of Thailand.  But you need Buddha

So, you got a little space there to blame Thais for something. 

53 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

They made it one way with very little alternative for motorist to get to point B,  but to break the rule because they know it is the rule but no enforcement.

Hmmm....ok, that makes sense. :crazy:

oh dear Georgealbert,  he must be a real numpty to hit a parked car while he's going against traffic. 

lucky he didn't kill someone or himself ....    is he a drunk ? 

very disturbing I must say.   

2 hours ago, sumongkhwai said:

It's probably the fact that they make them drive on opposite sides that messed with his head (double vision has been known to do that.)

What a silly comment. The only thing that 'made' this bloke drive on the wrong side of the road was a dearth of braincells and an excess of alcohol. Apart from this it would seem you think that Britain drives on the right hand side of the road.  

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Darwin was right. Some people have the skills to survive and thrive in this world some people simply do not. 

It is all about catching people performing moving violations. That is what causes most accidents. And herein lies the deterrent. As long as everyone is allowed to get away with extremely reckless driving, entering the highway in front of an oncoming vehicle that is only 100 meters away, going 100kph, cutting in front of vehicles within one meter at high speeds, swerving like crazy idiots all over the highway, trucks and 40 year old cars occupying the fast lane doing 40kph, when other vehicles are approaching doing 120kph, drunk driving, etc, accidents, major injuries and deaths will continue to happen, and no amount of rhetoric and platitudes by the fabulously incompetent and insincere authorities are going to make any difference.

The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary.

If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment.

Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times.

Expect cars and trucks and bikes to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins. Expect stupidity and recklessness and you will likely avoid an accident. 

One good thing about driving here is that it teaches you to concentrate 100% of the time. No daydreaming.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

I hope he makes a speedy recovery, that Kriangsit is insured, and that Fatty loses some weight.

Being insured should be the worry of the one who caused the accident .

Keep the drunk in the nick until he coughs up the dough for the pick up damage.

If anyone would be driving on the correct side it would be an English driver. Many ‘foreigners’ do drive wrong side because that is not normal for them. Brit’s drive on Left.

So no ID and they assume an English speaker is English. Not yet in evidence. Most likely driving with a snootful and no clue which side if the road they are on.

If not there it would have been somewhere else. But it was there because of this bogus contractor/city hall kickback drain pipe project.  One way nonsense.As if the roads are not already enough of a problem to put up with. Then this also  forces all the North bound traffic up the chataphucket bottle neck.

21 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Fatty Brit on the motorbike seems to have weathered this collision better than the Thai who was in the car.

We build them tough in England.

I don't think "Fatty Brit" is the injured party, unless the guy on the ground is just "having a kip"!

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh dear Georgealbert,  he must be a real numpty to hit a parked car while he's going against traffic. 

lucky he didn't kill someone or himself ....    is he a drunk ? 

very disturbing I must say.   

"........... is he a drunk ?"

Is that a rhetorical question? :-

"The motorcyclist, identified as an English tourist, appeared to be heavily intoxicated and was without any form of identification."

Edited by sambum
Additional text
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Darwin was right. Some people have the skills to survive and thrive in this world some people simply do not. 

It is all about catching people performing moving violations. That is what causes most accidents. And herein lies the deterrent. As long as everyone is allowed to get away with extremely reckless driving, entering the highway in front of an oncoming vehicle that is only 100 meters away, going 100kph, cutting in front of vehicles within one meter at high speeds, swerving like crazy idiots all over the highway, trucks and 40 year old cars occupying the fast lane doing 40kph, when other vehicles are approaching doing 120kph, drunk driving, etc, accidents, major injuries and deaths will continue to happen, and no amount of rhetoric and platitudes by the fabulously incompetent and insincere authorities are going to make any difference.

The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary.

If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment.

Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times.

Expect cars and trucks and bikes to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins. Expect stupidity and recklessness and you will likely avoid an accident. 

However, in this case, I hope my fellow Brit is fined, jailed, and ultimately deported never to return. People behaving like this damage the reputation of the rest of us living in or visiting Thailand.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, sambum said:

"........... is he a drunk ?"

Is that a rhetorical question? :-

"The motorcyclist, identified as an English tourist, appeared to be heavily intoxicated and was without any form of identification."

he was heavily intoxicated then and there ....

Is he a drunk means in general .... as in today, tomorrow and everyday ... is he intoxicated daily ?  if so .... therefore he would be classed as a drunk.   

Edited by steven100
  • Confused 1

Stupid is as stupid does.

20K for driving while drunk.
100K damages to other vehicle
500 THB fine for driving the wrong way - Priceless!

Amazing Thailand!!!

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:
3 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

It wasn’t.

But I was replying to Richard.

He blames sunglasses for these accidents when there is no mention of it in the article.

and yet Richard made no mention of sunglasses...

He's just being a trollish idiot attempting to 'niggle, dig and trigger a conflict'....    

Sometimes I just ignore his stupidity - sometimes I have a little fun with his idiocy.

39 minutes ago, sambum said:
21 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Fatty Brit on the motorbike seems to have weathered this collision better than the Thai who was in the car.

We build them tough in England.

I don't think "Fatty Brit" is the injured party, unless the guy on the ground is just "having a kip"!

He's not very sharp... His only intention with that comment was to 'trigger' other Brits with his anti-British sentiment.... (a common method of his to attempt to trigger people and enter conflict).

20 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I ride along Jomtien Beach road every other day. 

I see foreigners riding in the wrong direction everyday I travel along this road. 

I expect to see the Thai's riding wrong way but find it strange seeing so many foreigners 

Monkey see monkey do.