Taxi Driver Arrested for Attacking Australian Tourist

webfact

7 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Well that is a bit sus.

Not that there is anything wrong with of course. 

This thread will bring out the anti thai taxi driver brigade. A thai bashing favorite, right up near the top.

personally I have always found Bangkok taxis to be cheap and plentiful. Better than the expensive ones back in the UK. For me the cheap taxis is one of the good things about Bangkok.

I find your statement bizarre. I lived in Bangkok for a few years and had several run it's with taxi drivers in that time as i do everytime i stay there for a few days, from over charging, taking extended journey's. Deciding they did not want to go so dropped off to get another taxi oh and my biggest pain "having to beg them to take you somewhere" only to get a shake of the head ""NO!". And, the No meter with stupid price!!! To compare to the uk is ridiculous.  Your not in the uk your in Thailand.  The majority of taxis are good but plenty of bad apples. Sometimes it's better to hire a taxi for the day.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A part from first timers and tourists, which foreigner in his mind stills uses the taxi meter ? Those taxis are rude people and will choose the customer to see if they can cheat and choose which trips to accept how much they will get. Anyhow in Bangkok, only a tourist or a fool will try to commute in a taxi. With the trafic, the Skytrain is far quicker. Even if I had a free chauffeur driven car, I would not use is as most of the time you would be stuck in trafic.

The bangkok Taxi Meter, tuk tuk mafia,  gives a horrible image of Thailand to tourists.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Daily News

A Bangkok taxi driver was arrested for attacking an Australian tourist after an argument over a slammed car door and fare dispute. The incident occurred on 23 October at 3:30 a.m. near Narathiwat Ratchanakarin Soi 9 in Sathorn District.

The 39-year-old Australian was injured with a cutter knife, suffering a wound to his right abdomen. Rescuers transported him to the hospital for treatment.

According to the initial investigation, the victim was travelling in a pink Toyota taxi when an argument broke out with the driver, identified as Mr. Somron, aged 49.

The altercation escalated when the driver demanded the fare, and the passenger slammed the car door. In response, the driver retrieved a cutter from the glove box and, during the confrontation, slashed the tourist.

Authorities from Thung Mahamek Police Station reviewed CCTV footage from the area and identified Mr. Somron as the perpetrator. He was later arrested and confessed to the crime.

He explained that he had picked up the Australian tourist and a Thai man from Silom Soi 2 and drove them to a hotel on Narathiwat Road. When the passenger slammed the door, it led to a heated exchange, resulting in the attack.

Mr. Somron was charged with assault causing injury, and legal proceedings are underway, reported Daily News.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-25

news-footer-2.png

image.png

A 39 year old or should that read a 39 stone convict losing to a small thai man. Embarrasing. 🙈

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, roo860 said:

Personally I don't bother with the taxi Mafia, when I've had a few too many I just drive my car or ride the motorbike slowly, I find I'm more aware of road conditions than many sober drivers.🙃🙃

Yeah, at least you believe that. The ones you read about crashing or killing somebody after drinking also believed that.

• Confused 2

While the driver’s begging for forgiveness, it looks the the Aussie’s having none of it.

I mean you don’t defend with a knife you attack with it, just a vicious mentality.

2 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Perhaps you should leave, because you comment makes absolutely no sense, you see sexpats everywhere... also you tarnish toursts, simply because they were attacked... you are very strange, but I now understand why you follow trump, you both have the same mentality. 

WAD - unbelievable - I can see why you would support Harris/Biden like most sexpats.

Please listen slowly.

Thailand is trying to attract 'quality tourists'

The story was not good for attracting quality tourists (taxi driver attacking passenger).

Get it yet?? 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Ooh! The notorious taxi driver mental illness. It´s funny how they always seem to have sharp object or something to use for blunt force action. Must be on the list, to always have in the car as a taxi driver. Just lucky it wasn´t a machete or katana this time. Next time, maybe a gun. Who know. All is possible in the land of smiles.

Its not just in taxis.  Most thais outside if BKK carry a knife or club in their cars. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Its not just in taxis.  Most thais outside if BKK carry a knife or club in their cars. 

I think the majority of people have some sort of weapon in their vehicles, or something they know can be used as a weapon. Getting stuck on the side of the road with nothing is a big no-no for most people.

42 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

WAD - unbelievable - I can see why you would support Harris/Biden like most sexpats.

has that been proven with statistics that sexpats tend to vote for harris?

i would have guessed the other way around. 

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Ooh! The notorious taxi driver mental illness. It´s funny how they always seem to have sharp object or something to use for blunt force action. Must be on the list, to always have in the car as a taxi driver. Just lucky it wasn´t a machete or katana this time. Next time, maybe a gun. Who know. All is possible in the land of smiles.

Yep, and that "abdomen" was hard to miss.

35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How could you know that?

Every thai's car i have been in here since 1984 has had some type of weapon easily available  so I'm basing it on personal experience.  I'm sure your going to say I haven't been in all thai cars and thats why I said "most"

• Thanks 1