Kawasaki Er6n

12DrinkMore

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 2012 Ninja 650 has just had its 30,000km service done (now currently reading 32,400km)

Here’s a list of things that were carried out by my local dealership here in Bangkok

1) Valve clearance check (I insisted it to be done early and measurement to be given to me. All were fine)

2) Compression check (Curious as to how the engine’s holding up, and she's running 175 & 173psi dry)

3) Throttle body Synchronization (Should have been done on the 12k and 24k but wasn’t! As 4) expected it was quite far off)

4) Spark plugs

5) Air filter

6) Engine oil

7) Oil filter

8) Cam cover gasket and O-Ring set

9) As well as all the regular 30,000km service checks.

10) 4 hours labor

Total cost 3200baht, 64 pounds, or $107

Absolute bargain, having the throttle bodies re-synchronized has made a noticeable difference in the bike’s power delivery, she seems a lot more grunty compared to how it’s been over the last 12,000km or so.

where did you have this work on your bike done? Kawasaki rama 9?

My 2012 Ninja 650 has just had its 30,000km service done (now currently reading 32,400km)

Here’s a list of things that were carried out by my local dealership here in Bangkok

1) Valve clearance check (I insisted it to be done early and measurement to be given to me. All were fine)

2) Compression check (Curious as to how the engine’s holding up, and she's running 175 & 173psi dry)

3) Throttle body Synchronization (Should have been done on the 12k and 24k but wasn’t! As 4) expected it was quite far off)

4) Spark plugs

5) Air filter

6) Engine oil

7) Oil filter

8) Cam cover gasket and O-Ring set

9) As well as all the regular 30,000km service checks.

10) 4 hours labor

Total cost 3200baht, 64 pounds, or $107

Absolute bargain, having the throttle bodies re-synchronized has made a noticeable difference in the bike’s power delivery, she seems a lot more grunty compared to how it’s been over the last 12,000km or so.

where did you have this work on your bike done? Kawasaki rama 9?

Real Motorsport Ramkhemheang (soi 146 i think)

Hi Mate,

May I ask where did you rent your er-6n. Was it in Pattaya? I'm going there tomorrow and am looking where I can get one there.

Thanks

John

There are a bunch of rental bikes off the beach soi 12 - soi 13.

Most of the renters are pretty cool & you can cruise more than the 50 kilos max stated in your contract.

If you notice the bike has been dropped when stopped put the damages on the contract so you don't get banged for someone elses damages.

I rented the Ninja & the ER6N so I knew the ER6N was the bike I wanted To puchase . Sometimes the bikes can be a little abused ....so if you notice the tranny is hard to shift(while driving) take it back & the shops will trade you up for a better one.

Edited by Beardog

Sorry if this has been posted, but does anyone have a 2012 ER6N and has a Tidy Tail that fits Thai number plates?

There are a few available online but they all look like they will not fit Thai plates properly.

Appreciate the brand if someone has one that works.

Sorry if this has been posted, but does anyone have a 2012 ER6N and has a Tidy Tail that fits Thai number plates?

There are a few available online but they all look like they will not fit Thai plates properly.

Hi DLock,all the tail tidy can fit a Thai number plate.It depends on where to drill the holes on the plate itself.

Hi DLock,all the tail tidy can fit a Thai number plate.It depends on where to drill the holes on the plate itself.

Thanks Mervyn. That made my choice easier.

a 180 on a 2009 model will run very close to the chain, perhaps you'll see some scuffing on the tyre's left-hand side...

You are correct; fitting a 180 onto the stock 5" rim will distort the tyre 'pinching' it giving the tyre a taller look as opposed to the full 180 width the previous owner was trying to achieve.

Fitting such a tyre on this bike is purely cosmetic, there are no advantages to be had from doing it, turn in will slow down as a result of the tyre's larger circumference and with the 'pinched' tyre you are currently running i'd assume feels a little more twitchy cornering...?

The other matter you have to consider is the warm up times of a tyre that was designed for a bike churning out 110bhp+, it'll take you far longer to reach a functional temperature on track or road.

Best bet, as i'm sure you have realised already is to stick with the stock 160 and enjoy the bikes nimble handling again. Pirelli Rosso II's are highly recommended by myself and plenty of other riders, they are great if you want a sticky tyre for the track that can also last 8000 - 10,000 on the road.

As for a good mechanic to do your first service, you sound like a switched on guy who knows his bikes, i'd invest in some tools and service the bike myself as it no longer has warranty. You will be hard pushed to find a competent mechanic or one that does / checks everything you ask!

Welcome to the 650 club :)

P.S. Norman W (aka Jonnie) will hock you up with BP Racing.

Totally agree the Pirelli rosso 2 is a essential mod for the 650 in the recommended size ie 160. I live on Phuket and constantly on the twisties. My friend even put them on his versys, much to the initial amusement of our Thai biker friends at first. ( they were all running the scorpions) they have now changed to the rosso 2 as well, at least when on the island and not touring) tyres are the best mod and for around 10000baht make the biggest difference to the handling

a 180 on a 2009 model will run very close to the chain, perhaps you'll see some scuffing on the tyre's left-hand side...

You are correct; fitting a 180 onto the stock 5" rim will distort the tyre 'pinching' it giving the tyre a taller look as opposed to the full 180 width the previous owner was trying to achieve.

Fitting such a tyre on this bike is purely cosmetic, there are no advantages to be had from doing it, turn in will slow down as a result of the tyre's larger circumference and with the 'pinched' tyre you are currently running i'd assume feels a little more twitchy cornering...?

The other matter you have to consider is the warm up times of a tyre that was designed for a bike churning out 110bhp+, it'll take you far longer to reach a functional temperature on track or road.

Best bet, as i'm sure you have realised already is to stick with the stock 160 and enjoy the bikes nimble handling again. Pirelli Rosso II's are highly recommended by myself and plenty of other riders, they are great if you want a sticky tyre for the track that can also last 8000 - 10,000 on the road.

As for a good mechanic to do your first service, you sound like a switched on guy who knows his bikes, i'd invest in some tools and service the bike myself as it no longer has warranty. You will be hard pushed to find a competent mechanic or one that does / checks everything you ask!

Welcome to the 650 club :)

P.S. Norman W (aka Jonnie) will hock you up with BP Racing.

Totally agree the Pirelli rosso 2 is a essential mod for the 650 in the recommended size ie 160. I live on Phuket and constantly on the twisties. My friend even put them on his versys, much to the initial amusement of our Thai biker friends at first. ( they were all running the scorpions) they have now changed to the rosso 2 as well, at least when on the island and not touring) tyres are the best mod and for around 10000baht make the biggest difference to the handling

Bridgestone battlax bt023 are a great tyre also if you can get your hands on them

They are so smooth, stick to the road like glue and even reduce your braking distances

Hi everyone

Loving this thread! I bought my white er6n 2012 at songkran last year. Few mods mainly cosmetic to distance myself from tourist rentals( lots on Phuket ) only added Pirelli diablo rosso 2. The essential performance mod! I think it's great we all help each other. If there are any newbies who need help finding mods on Phuket let me know. It can be difficult if you don't have a Thai girlfriend to translat websites etc.

This is my ride, hope you like what ive done, most of it is on a dive instructor budgetattachicon.gifIMG_5991.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_5986.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_5997.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_5992.JPG

Great stuff, nice to see another special hit the road. so to speak :)

Thanks bro

Budget exhaust, only 8900baht from k speed for full system. Wanted a zard but 27000 out of reach. Actually like the sound especially with baffle out and stuck a yoshi plate made in uk. The 3m wrap Matt blue stripe is from local wrap place they even did the color matched er6n on side pods, he kept the pattern for anyone else wanting to change graffix color but still keep factory look

Thanks mania, I appreciate the comments. Mervyn where you based? I'm in Phuket and we try to be out riding as much as possible, everyone welcome. We like to ride relitively fast and have the odd beer and talk bikes:)

Hi Ginger761,thanks.I'm in Phattalung,about 800km from Phuket.It is quite a long way for a to and fro week end ride but if I'm going to Phuket for a few days I will PM you.Cheers.

Yes mervyn just a small commute:) 800kms:) If you ever make it down, our little racetrack (Phuket coast road) is fun and full of hazards to keep you on your toes. Tourists on T-Maxs to name one, as well as the usual colorful driving tactics we have come to expect from Thailand:)

Yes mervyn just a small commute:) 800kms:) If you ever make it down, our little racetrack (Phuket coast road) is fun and full of hazards to keep you on your toes. Tourists on T-Maxs to name one, as well as the usual colorful driving tactics we have come to expect from Thailand:)

Thats nice.I will try to plan a short holiday to Phuket soon.Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a shop in Pattaya area as far as Rayong or Chonburi that has some Rossi 2 Pirellies & can mount & BALANCE the tires?

I realize the ultimate lack of confidence in cornering on my ER6n is the original tires are deathtraps & I don't want to be laid to waste because I was to cheap to remedy the handling issue.

Well I finally got all my lights done. Unfortunately BP racing could not get the rear hugger I wanted. Over 250 on Ebay & they can't find a hugger at all. Thailand lameness at its worst!.

Here are the night pics. The lights are so bright now they are like Cadillac or lincoln cornering lights all the way around! Sorry about the poor quality of the pics , but my point & shoot has not much in the way of shutter time for night shots. And it was a bit windy.

Thanks if anyone has any knowlege of a place for the tire balancing. Not much sense in buying tires & not having them balanced!

post-32440-0-11724700-1363615377_thumb.j

post-32440-0-63091900-1363615612_thumb.j

post-32440-0-99935800-1363615676_thumb.j

Does anyone know of a shop in Pattaya area as far as Rayong or Chonburi that has some Rossi 2 Pirellies & can mount & BALANCE the tires?

I realize the ultimate lack of confidence in cornering on my ER6n is the original tires are deathtraps & I don't want to be laid to waste because I was to cheap to remedy the handling issue.

Well I finally got all my lights done. Unfortunately BP racing could not get the rear hugger I wanted. Over 250 on Ebay & they can't find a hugger at all. Thailand lameness at its worst!.

Here are the night pics. The lights are so bright now they are like Cadillac or lincoln cornering lights all the way around! Sorry about the poor quality of the pics , but my point & shoot has not much in the way of shutter time for night shots. And it was a bit windy.

Thanks if anyone has any knowlege of a place for the tire balancing. Not much sense in buying tires & not having them balanced!

lame but looks fine!