Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kasikorn bank (Red Green and White ATM's) are still not charging for transactions at the moment and from my quick tour of my local ATM's seem to be the only ones without the 150 Baht fee, well they will be getting regular visits from me whilst this remains the same as I'm damned if I'm paying 150 Baht to take out my money.

I'm presuming that they still make a little money on transactions without the 150 baht fee so the farmers bank has now become the farangs bank ;]

Was Bangkok Bank & Bank of Ayudhaya in that little tour you made? As we need to know if their also free or not cheers.

As of Saturday

SCB Bank, warning before finishing transaction, was able to cancel before 150 THB charge

Thai Military Bank, warning before finishing transaction, was able to cancel before 150 THB charge

Siam City Bank, 150 THB fee, NO WARNING

Kasikorn Bank, no fee

Bangkok Bank, no fee

Bank of Ayudhaya, no fee

Government Savings Bank,

I have read in another forum that Bangkok Bank started to charge as of Monday BUT I HAVE NOT VERIFIED IT

I will do the test again tomorrow Wed 22 April

Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang! That's Thailand doing something that is like shooting one's self in the foot 7 times with a 6 shooter; impossible to do, but somehow Thailand manages to do it. My foreign bank ATM card will definitely remain as a last resort for use; will continue to use my Thailand bank ATM card. However, tourists don't have that option and it will leave a bad taste in their mouth regarding their trip to Thailand...will make them feel like they are getting ripped off. Yeap, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang!

I have read in another forum that Bangkok Bank started to charge as of Monday BUT I HAVE NOT VERIFIED IT

Yeah, it would appear from this link that if Bangkok Bank aren't yet charging, then it won't be too long now before it kicks in.

I'm pretty sure that the 'grey text' confirming this at the bottom wasn't there last week.

Edited by thecatman

Yeah, it would appear from this link that if Bangkok Bank aren't yet charging, then it won't be too long now before it kicks in.

I'm pretty sure that the 'grey text' confirming this at the bottom wasn't there last week.

This from Bangkok Bank site.

* A transaction fee of 150Bt will be charged for ATM withdrawals on VISA, MasterCard and JCB cards issued by banks in foreign countries or any other bank or financial institution not an ATM Pool member.

I searched ATM pool members & this is what i came up with it states no charge if your bank is a pool member, i can see that there are a few overseas banks. Citi bank being the Big one.

BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> BANK OF ASIA PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> BANK THAI BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> BANK FOR AGRICULTURE AND AGRICULTURAL COOPERATIVES

>> BANK OF AYUDHYA PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> CITIBANK CO., LTD.

>> KASIKORNBANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> KRUNG THAI BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> UOB RADANASIN BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> SIAM CITY BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> STANDARD CHARTERED NAKORNTHON BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> STANDARD CHARTERED BANK

>> THAI MILITARY BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> THE GOVERNMENT SAVINGS BANK

>> THE GOVERNMENT HOUSING BANK

>> THE HONGKONG & SHANGHAI BANKING CORPORATION

>> THE BANK OF TOKYO-MITSUBISHI LTD.

http://www.pcc.co.th/solutions/atm_pool_csm.html

I wouldn't take much hope in CitiBank being in the pool since they only have 6 ATM's, all in their only branch in Bangkok

I don't know if things have changed but the highest fees and lowest exchange rate was the CitiBank / Bangkok Bank combination

when I was raising the deposit for my condo a couple of years ago

I wouldn't take much hope in CitiBank being in the pool since they only have 6 ATM's, all in their only branch in Bangkok

I don't know if things have changed but the highest fees and lowest exchange rate was the CitiBank / Bangkok Bank combination

when I was raising the deposit for my condo a couple of years ago

The way i understand the statement is that anyone with a foreign card from any of these banks are not charged the fee.

Isn't citibank a big US bank?

Kasikorn bank (Red Green and White ATM's) are still not charging for transactions at the moment and from my quick tour of my local ATM's seem to be the only ones without the 150 Baht fee, well they will be getting regular visits from me whilst this remains the same as I'm damned if I'm paying 150 Baht to take out my money.

I'm presuming that they still make a little money on transactions without the 150 baht fee so the farmers bank has now become the farangs bank ;]

Was Bangkok Bank & Bank of Ayudhaya in that little tour you made? As we need to know if their also free or not cheers.

I used a Ayudhaya/Krungsri ATM last night and it was free not sure about the Bangkok bank though as my citibank card has always been problematic with thier ATM's.

Just used my HSBC Singapore Mastercard Electronic ATM card to withdraw from a UOB ATM in Chiangmai. Asked first in the bank, where they turned over the card, saw the Cirrus logo, and said "mai me fee". Tried the card in the machine and they were right - no fee charged. UOB also have the highest maximum withdrawal limit - 30,000 per time - which is very convenient.

Fingers crossed for next time.

CMMCB

This from Bangkok Bank site.

* A transaction fee of 150Bt will be charged for ATM withdrawals on VISA, MasterCard and JCB cards issued by banks in foreign countries or any other bank or financial institution not an ATM Pool member.

I searched ATM pool members & this is what i came up with it states no charge if your bank is a pool member, i can see that there are a few overseas banks. Citi bank being the Big one.

BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> BANK OF ASIA PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> BANK THAI BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> BANK FOR AGRICULTURE AND AGRICULTURAL COOPERATIVES

>> BANK OF AYUDHYA PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> CITIBANK CO., LTD.

>> KASIKORNBANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> KRUNG THAI BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> UOB RADANASIN BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> SIAM CITY BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> STANDARD CHARTERED NAKORNTHON BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> STANDARD CHARTERED BANK

>> THAI MILITARY BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD.

>> THE GOVERNMENT SAVINGS BANK

>> THE GOVERNMENT HOUSING BANK

>> THE HONGKONG & SHANGHAI BANKING CORPORATION

>> THE BANK OF TOKYO-MITSUBISHI LTD.

http://www.pcc.co.th/solutions/atm_pool_csm.html

I used a Ayudhaya/Krungsri ATM last night and it was free not sure about the Bangkok bank though as my citibank card has always been problematic with thier ATM's.

Hi Sushi

That's great news but it may also be that you have the Citibank card that your free at all the ATM's, the way i understand the above is all those named banks can share their ATM's with no fee as their pool members, seems like your the lucky one.

You wouldn't give your card a try in a Siam bank ATM would you? Their machine's apparently tell you about the charge pre transaction it would confirm this theory as we all know they definitely charge.

Maybe you have already confirmed this you say Krungsri ? I'm sure this is a bank that's already charged some members.

Looks like Citibank are going to have a run from new card holders here,i wonder do they have a UK card to apply for i feel a search coming on.

Phom rak Kasikorn Bank :o at least for now.

Still no charge at ATM or over the counter Rate 51.97 across the 2 transactions.

Spoke to the staff at the local branch and they did not know if/when any charge will be introduced.

Seems that citibank Uk are not foreign ATM friendly.

<h1 class="heading">Interest Rates & Charges</h1> if(n==1) document.write('') else document.write(''); 1grey.gifdogcoupleinside.jpgpixel.gif <h2 class="CategoryHeading">Charges</h2>

<h3 class="subhead">Foreign Currency Charges</h3> Branch trans.gif Foreign money, sale or purchase~ no fee*** trans.gif Travellers Cheques, sale, purchase or encashment no fee*** Remote trans.gif Delivery of foreign currency and Travellers Cheques** £5 ~ Call 0800 00 55 00* to place your order, if you wish to collect currency from a branch. A fee may be levied if orders are not collected within 5 days of order placement.

** Call 0870 243 2061 or go online at www.citibank.co.uk if you would like home delivery.

*** Exchange rates apply

Foreign cheques

trans.gif Cheques drawn abroad £15 Deposited: USD or £ cheques deposited into any account No fee € cheques deposited into a € account No fee All other foreign cheques deposited £15 Cheques drawn from certain countries and for values over $25,000 will only be available on your Citibank account once the funds have cleared. These cheques may be subject to a fee from the paying bank.

<a name="2">

<h3 class="subhead">Cash withdrawal or purchase</h3> If you make a cash withdrawal or purchase using your Citibank Card in a currency other than the currency of your account Visa exchange rates will apply. In addition, we will charge you the following commission for foreign exchange. The commission charge depends on the network used and the geographical location of the transaction.

Foreign Exchange Commission trans.gif From a Citibank savings or current account denominated in British Pounds: 2.75% of the transaction. trans.gif From a Citibank foreign currency account into a different currency: up to 4.75% of the transaction value.

ANOTHER Definitive Test Wed 22 April between 13:45 to 13:49 Tukcom, Pattaya 1,000 THB

E*trade Bank ATM card with the VISA logo, DEBIT. (Part of the Plus and Interlink networks)

SCB Bank, warning before finishing transaction, was able to cancel before 150 THB charge

Thai Military Bank, warning before finishing transaction, was able to cancel before 150 THB charge

Siam City Bank, warning before finishing transaction, was able to cancel before the 150 THB charge

Krung Thai Bank, warning before finishing transaction, was able to cancel before the 150 THB charge

Bangkok Bank, still no fee, Exchange rate 35.57

Bank of Ayudhaya, still no fee, Exchange rate, 35.57

Government Savings Bank, still no fee, Exchange rate 35.57

Kasikorn Bank, still no fee, Exchange rate 35.57

Exchange rate a posted in the window of Kasikorn Exchange booth next to Tukcom 35.20

Here is the detail from E*trade online bank page (in case anyone thinks I would fudge the figures :o )

In Process ATM 002299000018 BANGKOK B... -28.11

In Process ATM GSB TUEKCOM PATTAYA FL... -28.11

In Process ATM THAI FARMERS BA COM PA... -28.11

In Process ATM BAY COM BUILDING PATTA... -28.11

The rate has obviously gone up slightly since Saturday but the only change I can report is that we can add Krung Thai Bank to the list of usurious

LSM

ANOTHER Definitive Test Wed 22 April between 13:45 to 13:49 Tukcom, Pattaya 1,000 THB

E*trade Bank ATM card with the VISA logo, DEBIT. (Part of the Plus and Interlink networks)

Siam City Bank, warning before finishing transaction, was able to cancel before the 150 THB charge

Krung Thai Bank, warning before finishing transaction, was able to cancel before the 150 THB charge

Bangkok Bank, still no fee, Exchange rate 35.57

Bank of Ayudhaya, still no fee, Exchange rate, 35.57

Government Savings Bank, still no fee, Exchange rate 35.57

Kasikorn Bank, still no fee, Exchange rate 35.57

Exchange rate a posted in the window of Kasikorn Exchange booth next to Tukcom 35.20

Here is the detail from E*trade online bank page (in case anyone thinks I would fudge the figures :o )

In Process ATM 002299000018 BANGKOK B... -28.11

In Process ATM GSB TUEKCOM PATTAYA FL... -28.11

In Process ATM THAI FARMERS BA COM PA... -28.11

In Process ATM BAY COM BUILDING PATTA... -28.11

The rate has obviously gone up slightly since Saturday but the only change I can report is that we can add Krung Thai Bank to the list of usurious

LSM

Thanks for the info...I'm getting out of Thailand May 4th and will head down right away to see if I can get all the money out, before leaving Thailand.

Need about another $3000 Canadian and it would have sucked to have to pay $5 per transaction from Canada, plus another 150 Baht from this end. I'm off to the bank right now.

Thanks again

Cheers

May i ask you a question?

I have a Greek Cash card but no visa type(maestro type).

When i use the thai atm i have to pay the fee or not?

Thnx a lot

Yes, I believe you will have to pay this fee at certain ATM machines.

Banks not charging the 150Bt ATM fee at this moment in time are

Kasikorn Bank

Bangkok Bank

Bank Of Ayudhaya

Government Savings Bank

Keep checking back to this thread as I'm sure any developmentson this matter will continue to be posted here.

Edited by thecatman

In response to the E-Trade ATM Fee reimbursement controversy: A friend with an E-Trade Checking Account VISA Debit card contacted E-Trade via their secure e-mail center yesterday ( Tuesday April 21 ) -- Here is the interchange:

Question: I am currently traveling in Thailand and all the banks here have this week started to impose a fee for use of a US ATM card. Will E-Trade re-imburse me these fees?

E-Trade Answer: Thank you for your message regarding using your E*TRADE Bank ATM/Debit Card outside the US. Your E*TRADE Bank ATM/Debit Card can be used at any Interlink or PLUS ATM. In addition, your debit card is accepted at all locations that accept VISA.

Please note that ATM fees assessed at international locations, and Point of Sales (POS) transaction fees, will not be refunded. For additional information and important details about how the ATM fee refund will be applied, please visit: http://www.etrade.com/atmrefundpolicy

On a related subject subject: I have heard that there may be ATMs in Pattaya that allow a maximum of 30,000 Baht withdrawals in one transaction -- Does anyone know the locations of these ATMs? -- or possibly ATMs with higher limits?

Just used my HSBC Singapore Mastercard Electronic ATM card to withdraw from a UOB ATM in Chiangmai. Asked first in the bank, where they turned over the card, saw the Cirrus logo, and said "mai me fee". Tried the card in the machine and they were right - no fee charged. UOB also have the highest maximum withdrawal limit - 30,000 per time - which is very convenient.

CMMCB

I used my HSBC (Hong Kong) ATM card and was charged HKD25, instead of the usual HKD15. I emailed my relationship manager and advised that there was a difference the the fee normally charged and asked if HSBC Hong Kong had put up their rates. The reply is:

As we check that there's a different charge from Visa/Plus,

MasterCard/Cirrus and UnionPay network for overseas ATM cash withdrawal.

For your information:

HKD 25 - Visa/Plus, MasterCard/Cirrus network

HKD 15 - UnionPay network

I used a Kasikorn Bank ATM, and have used it previously and only been charged HKD15, so I am trying to get clarification, but clearly no THB150 charge, (which would be about HKD33).

Today I waved my nationwide debit card at a teller at a Kasikorn branch and asked if I could have 100k please. I was told the limit was only 20k, but if I waddled down the soi to the "Yellow bank" (Krungsri) Their limit was 50k. I didn't press the issue as I had forgotten my deposit book, but I will trot out again tomorrow and have another go.

Looks like I will resume my daily 15k withdrawals from K-bank ATMs until further notice (i.e. until they start charging too).

What's the most any Nationwide Visa-Debit card holders have drawn over the counter recently and at what bank? (And was it transaction charge free?)

Today I waved my nationwide debit card at a teller at a Kasikorn branch and asked if I could have 100k please. I was told the limit was only 20k, but if I waddled down the soi to the "Yellow bank" (Krungsri) Their limit was 50k. I didn't press the issue as I had forgotten my deposit book, but I will trot out again tomorrow and have another go.

Looks like I will resume my daily 15k withdrawals from K-bank ATMs until further notice (i.e. until they start charging too).

What's the most any Nationwide Visa-Debit card holders have drawn over the counter recently and at what bank? (And was it transaction charge free?)

took out 150k from the Ayuthai bank(sorry about the spelling)

Not recently, but I have drawn 100,000 Baht at Bangkok Bank and credited it to my Bangkok Bank account. The fee was about 200 Baht. That was a long time back though and not at the branch with my account.

I have no up to date info I'm afraid.

CMMCB

I used my HSBC (Hong Kong) ATM card and was charged HKD25, instead of the usual HKD15.

Just double checked my transaction via internet banking and can confirm just the normal HSBC Singapore charge of 8 SGD (about 180 baht) and no extra fees at this end.

CMMCB