Whats A Real Bike ?

Thaifan2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaifan2. I wouldn't concern myself with what others consider a "real bike" as far as engine size goes. For me, anything with a manual clutch and gears is a motorbike and I guess the rest are scooters etc. I remember starting out on a 50cc Yamaha FSIE and progressing to a GSXR1100, both were motorbikes which gave me a lot of pleasure at the time. This whole thing about cc and hp is b@llocks and reminds me of "my dad is bigger than your dad" in the school playground. Ride what you're happy with :)

This whole thing about cc and hp is b@llocks and reminds me of "my dad is bigger than your dad" in the school playground. Ride what you're happy with

Agreed 100% :)

Saving a honda blackbird for a mate and just wish i could drive such a big bike.Lucky i have got a brain not like some tourists that come to Pattaya,hire a big bike and kill themselves.

Go to any bike week - you will see vintage restored Honda Cubs (I think they are called) - 70cc. Tricked out Vespas parked next to Honda Valkaryes. They're all bikes. I've gone thru a Suzuki Raider, Honda Phantom, Honda Shadow 400, FZ1 before the current bike which I won't mention in deference to the OP :) . Some Hayabusa owners look down on everything else, including GSXR's. Some HD owners do the same. I really don't care whatever anyone else rides, I can admire a Super 4, a Ninja or a nice chopper. I do however kind of get defensive when someone slags off the bike I ride.

Scooter: The engine is mounted to the swingarm and the fuel tank is under the seat.

20090705-225853-.jpg

Motorbike: The engine is mounted on the chassis and the fuel tank is in front of the seat.

yamaha-xjr-1300-50-ans-3.jpg

Step-through: The engine is mounted on the chassis and the fuel tank is under the seat.

yamaha_nouvo_main.jpg

Sorted. Which does your phantom fall into? That's what it is. To check if it's real, try and sit on it. If you do that and you find that you fall through it and and up on the road, it's not real. :)

Edited by Zzinged

Scooter: The engine is mounted to the swingarm and the fuel tank is under the seat.

20090705-225853-.jpg

Motorbike: The engine is mounted on the chassis and the fuel tank is in front of the seat.

yamaha-xjr-1300-50-ans-3.jpg

Step-through: The engine is mounted on the chassis and the fuel tank is under the seat.

yamaha_nouvo_main.jpg

Sorted. Which does your phantom fall into? That's what it is. To check if it's real, try and sit on it. If you do that and you find that you fall through it and and up on the road, it's not real. :D

Yamaha Tmax 500cc auto at 555.000 baht is according to this a stepthrough and phantom a real bike :):D:D:D I have owned both. Phantom I found boring, Tmax great :D

It seems you can not call yourself a real biker with a Phantom ,so what is the mininum sized bike you need to be a real biker in Thailand ?Is a Honda steed 400cc enough ?

He-He

Yes I agree with earlier posts, heart and soul man, that what counts. I am a HD rider myself but always salute other bikes/bikers, also the young Thai gang on their old Honda Cups 70.

The farang who rode Pattaya-CM-BKK and back to fun town on a cheap honda Dream, well he is certainly a real biker too.

What is a real biker? I am not sure, I guess it what one self make out of it.

The HD rider who rides his bike to bike meetings on the back on a pickup truck is a lesser biker than a chap on a Phantom who actually rides there on his own bike, well that is my opinion.

Enjoy the Steed

big.jpg

Yamaha Tmax 500cc auto at 555.000 baht is according to this a stepthrough and phantom a real bike :):D:D:D I have owned both. Phantom I found boring, Tmax great :D

Fixed the photo for a step-through. The T-Max is a scooter. The engine is swingarm mounted and the fuel tank is under the seat. And yes, The point of my post was that a 'real' bike is one that's corporeal lol. I didn't say whether it was fun to ride or not!

It seems you can not call yourself a real biker with a Phantom ,so what is the mininum sized bike you need to be a real biker in Thailand ?Is a Honda steed 400cc enough ?
Personally, I think a Phantom suits you fine. :)

An old BMW boxer would suit me better .Have had in Europe an R750 ,R650 and an R80 RT .Did all my own services and repair .

Few of them in Thailand though and expensive .

Hi

A real bike is more than 1500CC and thats it, (this is a joke but i can feel it coming :):D:D )

I'll play along with the joke...so, all the under-1500 Harleys were never real bikes, but the Honda Gold Wing 1800 and Triumph 2300 are real? :D

harleys where never really bikes anyway, just 1440 cc tractors. :D Since i m riding a Ninja 650R now, I m glad I had the pleasure to own one real bike in my life, VTX 1800cc V-twin. the Ninja is just so much more fun :D So was the TMax :D:D

big.jpg

Fixed the photo for a step-through. The T-Max is a scooter. The engine is swingarm mounted and the fuel tank is under the seat. And yes, The point of my post was that a 'real' bike is one that's corporeal lol. I didn't say whether it was fun to ride or not!

I must have missed something. never picked it apart, but engine in TMax seems mounted to frame, like Suzuki Burgman 650 and Honda DN 01. All 3 real bikes in my opinion. Just auto, like Porsche and Ferrari.

Anyway i just put a deposit down on a nice SH Honda steed 400 cc .I just want a change after riding my Phantom for 18 months .

400 cc is big and powerful enough for me . :)

I'd just be worried that you maybe wouldn't find the power/weight ratio on your Steed that much better? I've a mate with an old 250cc Phantom, I often take the wife's 400cc Desperado out when riding with him to even things up, we've both only got a top end of around 130kmh, and he's never far behind on a run, up with us by the time helmets are off.

Nothing about 'a real bike', just figure that such a small step up in actual performance may leave you wanting more in a very short time indeed? Your Steed may well look, feel, and certainly sound better, but that's about it.

Anyway i just put a deposit down on a nice SH Honda steed 400 cc .I just want a change after riding my Phantom for 18 months .

I'd just be worried that you maybe wouldn't find the power/weight ratio on your Steed that much better? I've a mate with an old 250cc Phantom, I often take the wife's 400cc Desperado out when riding with him to even things up, we've both only got a top end of around 130kmh, and he's never far behind on a run, up with us by the time helmets are off.

Nothing about 'a real bike', just figure that such a small step up in actual performance may leave you wanting more in a very short time indeed? Your Steed may well look, feel, and certainly sound better, but that's about it.

I used to rent 400 Shadows (bit more heavy than Steed), heavy and underpowered. Actually found the Phantom perform just as good.

I used to rent 400 Shadows (bit more heavy than Steed), heavy and underpowered. Actually found the Phantom perform just as good.

Think the Desperado has the same problem, too heavy. Steed a little lighter, but not by much!!

If you only want a 400cc machine, you're FAR better off going for something out of the Honda CB stable. Fully understand you may not want a 'crotch rocket' but the little CB 400 Super Four's (more of a touring style than the sports CBR version) really are a cracking machine. You can pick one up 2nd hand for around 50k these days with book & plate, they've absolutely bullet-proof engines, brakes that are 10times better than any cruiser, and the tyres for such bikes are far superior too. Goes better, stops better, grips better, handles better, probably cheaper, no comparison really! V-twins really only come into their own at 1,000cc and above, the Thai's love for choppers/cruisers here keeps the prices artificially inflated.

Edited by Milo

It's got to be the mindset and passion. Those guys touring all over SE Asia on a Wave or similar hard hard core bikers. They are out there riding.

If I had that 8-cylinder 750 cc Honda, I might look down on all other bikers who do drive different bikes. anything goes as long as I can convince myself that I am Leader of the Pack :)

Seriously, the Phantom is a real bike with a real clutch. You can have fun, enjoy the ride and don't worry about some guys on bigger bikes. If they need folks to look down to, so be it.

There will always be others with more money, better riding skills and prettier girlfriends. Get over it and make the most with the hand you have been dealt.

Chris

Hi

A real bike is more than 1500CC and thats it, (this is a joke but i can feel it coming :):D:D )

I'll play along with the joke...so, all the under-1500 Harleys were never real bikes, but the Honda Gold Wing 1800 and Triumph 2300 are real? :D

Yes they are, well the gold wing i am not sure. :D:D