The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

mark45y

There are a lot of foreigners who live in Thailand who don’t write in English and I guess a lot of people on vacation who never get to a computer.

There are a lot of people from the UK who post on TV who don’t live in Thailand.

I would imagine the mods would know, are the majority of postings from outside of Thailand?

Is this really a forum of Thai ex pat wannabees?

Any guesses as to the percent of posters locations.

Edited by mark45y
  • Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty sure my screen-name is clue enough

:ermm:You live in JamesTown ? :lol:

There have been numerous polls, but it couldbe got using IP Addresses and the forum internet logs - given the effort. Even the Fromfield is dubious - I have spoken to people here whoare regular visitors,but not expats, who put their usual destination in - and some expat who use it as origin - most peopledon't fill it in at all.

Just noticed actually, the old forum version had where I am based under my GROUP name on the left of all posts - seems to be missing now.

Edited by wolf5370

If the forum wanted it could record the ip adress a post was made from and that could be linked to a location that could be displayed next to a post. That would make things clear.

Not that i really care but it is possible.

I doubt that IP tracking would be a popular feature in a place where anonymity is valued.

However I am sure the mods know or can find out in a blink exactly where a post came from.

I don't really understand the attraction for this forum for posters who are frequent contributors but live somewhere else. I have tried keeping up with TV from the west, but for me this place is really irrelevant when I am in the alternate reality of farangland.

you say many people live in uk and post on thai visa i take it these are the sort of people who do 6months thai 6 months england many people just go back to england to work for 4-6 months do you not class these people as ex pats,i myself would class them as expats...............

you say many people live in uk and post on thai visa i take it these are the sort of people who do 6months thai 6 months england many people just go back to england to work for 4-6 months do you not class these people as ex pats,i myself would class them as expats...............

They are fake expats.. come one we the ones staying here full time are better then they are and our opinion is more valuable then them. We can use this to shut them up.. don't you see what the OP wants :D

They are fake expats.. come one we the ones staying here full time are better then they are and our opinion is more valuable then them. We can use this to shut them up.. don't you see what the OP wants :D

fake expats...lol to go with the fake watches,, t shirts, bags etc love it thailand has it all :cheesy:

I doubt that IP tracking would be a popular feature in a place where anonymity is valued.

However I am sure the mods know or can find out in a blink exactly where a post came from.

As with most other websites, we collect and use the data contained in log files. The information in the log files include your IP (internet protocol) address...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

I guess I am amazed at some of the opinions people hold supposedly living in Thailand.

I came here for the women sure, but after that for an absence of the PC stuff that bothered me in the States.

I had a man come in my restaurant one day in the US and complain to me that my cashier wore her slacks too low and you could see her bottom cleavage. You know like you see anytime a female sale clerk bends over in almost any mall in Thailand.

I kicked the guy out of my restaurant told him never to come back and to tell all of his friends I kicked him out and why. He told the local newspaper and they wrote a negative story about it and a local woman’s group protested me. He filed a law suite in small claims court because I kicked him out. I got a ton of new business out of the deal which, of course, I had realized would happen but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I do marketing in Thailand and I read TV for entertainment and for a feeling of the attitudes of Falang here. From my point of view what I see and hear daily from ex pats on the ground in Thailand is not what I see on Thai Visa.

Which leaves me confused unless there a lot of people posting who are still confined to the west.

I am sure this is the case. I can understand their interest in many topics and Thai Visa is a good source of information. But I wonder why they try and change and complain about the Thai culture and people who have adapted to that culture.

A good example is the current thing about Thailand backing out of an agreement not to tax beer and whiskey from other Asian countries. Why would that be a surprise to anyone. Of course they will protect their industry especially when they are producing such an inferior product.

And all the political opinion and anger over a subject that anyone living here already knows the answers to. It is just silly to expect Thailand to conform to ideals grown and practiced in the west.

I think it is great to stay informed about politics and necessary to stay safe but take sides is nonsense.

I mainly agree with Jingthing, but would add there are posters who add richness to a discussion and there are those with an agenda.

There a lot of young kids (under 40) posting on here who could not afford to live in Thailand and need to take it out on the people who do and can.

There are a lot of unhappy married guys in the west who seem to need to take it out on the single men, mostly older who are no longer married and live in Thailand.

I do think, in general the more the merrier with the caveat that some day when you grow up or if grown up when you get older you will hopefully gain some wisdom.

• Like 2

I guess I am amazed at some of the opinions people hold supposedly living in Thailand.

I do marketing in Thailand and I read TV for entertainment and for a feeling of the attitudes of Falang here. From my point of view what I see and hear daily from ex pats on the ground in Thailand is not what I see on Thai Visa.

That's very true. As someone else once said on here, where DO these guys drink? I've never met any of the wet, clown-headed liberals that pervade this forum in thailand. Almost everyone I met in thailand were there to escape the fascism that has taken root in their home countries.

What? You old gits manage to survive on your DHS pensions don't you?

Don't slay me just kidding.

Though I'm sure some do.

The old git that lives next door to me makes 70,000 from his pension and 50,000 from teaching. 120,000 baht per month. He seems to do OK.

LOL- Plainly not a DHSS pension (UK).

I guess what I really wanted to say is that is there are plenty of people under 40 here who make very nice livings, or at least, like myself, comfortable ones. (Though I turned 40 two days ago so I'm on your side now) :lol:

I came here for the women sure, but after that for an absence of the PC stuff that bothered me in the States.

I had a man come in my restaurant one day in the US and complain to me that my cashier wore her slacks too low and you could see her bottom cleavage. You know like you see anytime a female sale clerk bends over in almost any mall in Thailand.

I kicked the guy out of my restaurant told him never to come back and to tell all of his friends I kicked him out and why. He told the local newspaper and they wrote a negative story about it and a local woman's group protested me. He filed a law suite in small claims court because I kicked him out. I got a ton of new business out of the deal which, of course, I had realized would happen but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Which leaves me confused unless there a lot of people posting who are still confined to the west.

I am sure this is the case. I can understand their interest in many topics and Thai Visa is a good source of information. But I wonder why they try and change and complain about the Thai culture and people who have adapted to that culture.

A good example is the current thing about Thailand backing out of an agreement not to tax beer and whiskey from other Asian countries. Why would that be a surprise to anyone. Of course they will protect their industry especially when they are producing such an inferior product.

And all the political opinion and anger over a subject that anyone living here already knows the answers to. It is just silly to expect Thailand to conform to ideals grown and practiced in the west.

I think it is great to stay informed about politics and necessary to stay safe but take sides is nonsense.

I mainly agree with Jingthing, but would add there are posters who add richness to a discussion and there are those with an agenda.

There a lot of young kids (under 40) posting on here who could not afford to live in Thailand and need to take it out on the people who do and can.

There are a lot of unhappy married guys in the west who seem to need to take it out on the single men, mostly older who are no longer married and live in Thailand.

I do think, in general the more the merrier with the caveat that some day when you grow up or if grown up when you get older you will hopefully gain some wisdom.

Actually JT, I believe you'll find quite a difference in the character of said poster on a respective forum {residing in Thailand} - there real life personae and online one. It's more than likely that many a player here are involved with other Thailand-based forums. It's my observations that this interesting paradox is true throughout all of these Thai expat forums. If you were to sit down with a favourite or two at your local pub in BKK, have a chit-chat and whatnot, you'd be surprised towards the difference that these jokers might display. Real residents, travellers, commuters, wannabes, never-been-here should all be welcome here on TV. Historically, what separates the fakers and those whom really know and understand the subtleties of the social and political environment in Thailand is quickly apparent.

LOL- Plainly not a DHSS pension (UK).

I guess what I really wanted to say is that is there are plenty of people under 40 here who make very nice livings, or at least, like myself, comfortable ones. (Though I turned 40 two days ago so I'm on your side now) :lol:

I don't buy into the age category item, as it applies to those residing. I need to laugh as to the proposed stereotype of the retiree dominating the domestic scene. Quite a percentage of 20 and 30 somethings have made it quite well. Surely, the younger set dominate a travelling and tourist scene, but more and more are finding a way in LOS. Think of all the old codgers that have been here for years.....how old were they when they decided to make the move, for whatever reason?

So let me get this right.... The OP tells us

There are a lot of people from the UK who post on TV who don’t live in Thailand.

I would imagine the mods would know, are the majority of postings from outside of Thailand?

And then adds:

I guess I am amazed at some of the opinions people hold supposedly living in Thailand..

So off the Pot Marky you've made your statement. Now back it up. Tell us who you think is:

• An Expat Wanabee
  • Posting from the UK
  • A young kid (under 40) who cannot afford to live in Thailand
  • Unhappily Married in the West

You presumably have some kind of a basis for your comments and hence should have no trouble giving us the names.

Over to you Marky, the floor is your's.

And then adds:

I guess I am amazed at some of the opinions people hold supposedly living in Thailand..

So off the Pot Marky you've made your statement. Now back it up. Tell us who you think is:

• An Expat Wanabee
  • Posting from the UK

You presumably have some kind of a basis for your comments and hence should have no trouble giving us the names.

Against forum rules. Can't talk about certain people. It might insult them. And I am sure two or three other rules. I think you know what I mean. Don't ask me to be a bad guy. Over to you.

There are a lot of people from the UK who post on TV who don't live in Thailand.

And then adds:

• An Expat Wanabee
  • Posting from the UK

mark is just trying to discredit the value of the opinions of some posters who don't agree with his sordid views.