Buy Old Motorbike In Pattya And Take It To Phuket?

ole9

Will this be a problem for me:

the bike is a Yamaha Elegance 135cc 2008

Posted 2009-09-15 08:52

A bike being registered in a different changwat is not really a problem..

But it does beg the question WHY is it not registered in the home province ??

Firstly the book should be checked over.. The make model must be correct, then also the age of the bike in the book must be the age that this exact model is, any discrepancy is clearly showing the bike could not be the same as the book.

Also then engine and frame numbers must be checked and exact.. Then the stamps must be straight and correct, I have seen some utter bodges.. Run your hand over the frame area to see that its truly round and doesnt have a flat spot where previous numbers were filed down.

Then look back through the book.. Make sure it didnt change color and engine number at the same time at any point in its history.. A give away that the frame number was shifted to a donor bike.

If bike make model age and numbers all match the book then theres not much the government can say, its in the computer, its numbers match, and it cannot be told apart from a legit one.

On Phuket they are also refusing transfers if the page 18 tax information is not in there. This is a total fuc_k up as the law applied to bikes aged between 2542 and after (IIRC its in some thread I posted) so from 98 onwards, however Phukets DMV illegally apply this rule to ANY bike missing page 18 information and simply say go speak to customs.. Customs again lie and demand money for any age machine, even with a smart lawyer who got many bikes released without payment, they refuse to write 'clearance letters' which the DMV insists on to transfer. Basically they are simply trying to extort money by exploiting peoples ignorance.. Also fact is this information was considered irrelevant and many DMV's simply didnt bother to move it over when they made new books. This is not enforced in any other province I know of but it s major hassle here.

Also Phukets DMV are not transferring bikes that are 'non standard' even down to aftermarket indicators or light clusters.. Just being total dicks about big bike transfers. Again this is here only to my knowledge.

This post has been edited by LivinLOS: 2009-09-15 08:56

is the bike registered in the sellers name?...........if not and the paperwork from the previous owner as detailed below is not with the machine then u have no chance of registering it in your name so forget it

u must get a SIGNED copy of the registered owners passport if farang or ID card and taiban book if a thai

u need to get the 2 sell forms from the driving office and have the owner sign these too

u can take the bike to any post office with the greenbook and have it posted to anywhere in thailand......cost 3-4 k