Self-Defense Within Your Home

connda

It seems that every so often there is an article about a farang or farang couple getting murdered within their own home, apartment, condo, or rented room. Happened again at a beach resort south of Bangkok recently.

I've heard that you essentially can not protect yourself in self-defense during a robbery without incurring jail time yourself. So if someone comes into your home with the intention of murdering you or inflicting bodily harm in the execution of a robbery, you don't have a lot of options. Or do you?

Legally, in Thailand, what can I do to protect myself and my family within the confines of our home or property? What's my rights to self-defense in this country?

• Like 1

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i heard a thai can legally own a gun for self defense and if necessary shoot a burglar and that is legal

of course ,if a farang shoots a thai burglar ,everything might be completely differnt ;)

check this with a laywer before you shoot anyone though !

I have an electronically operated trap door that drops the intruder into a basement hole full of hungry crocodiles. It takes care of unwanted relatives as well.

pm sent ! i have some relations id like to invite to dinner at your place ;)

i shal buy the beers afterwards ,new best friend ! :D

• Like 1

I have an electronically operated trap door that drops the intruder into a basement hole full of hungry crocodiles. It takes care of unwanted relatives as well.

pm sent ! i have some relations id like to invite to dinner at your place wink.png

i shal buy the beers afterwards ,new best friend ! biggrin.png

If you want to make a real big party of it, I could also provide some numbers! Venue for the next TV outing?

pm sent ! i have some relations id like to invite to dinner at your place wink.png

If you want to make a real big party of it, I could also provide some numbers! Venue for the next TV outing?

Since nobody took me up on the offer of my wife and a new LED TV, perhaps my wife could "drop" round to your place for tea sometime this week. No hurry, but the sooner the better.

Perhaps just invite some likely candidates for the upcoming UK Pension forum.

i heard a thai can legally own a gun for self defense and if necessary shoot a burglar and that is legal

of course ,if a farang shoots a thai burglar ,everything might be completely differnt wink.png

check this with a laywer before you shoot anyone though !

Yes they can...Mrs Soutpeel has one

Way back when, there was a former SAS guy on here who claimed that he beat up a couple of burglars that were in his house and ended up getting charged for it.

Did he live Pattaya by any chances and some of his closest associates were ex-navy seals, CIA and ninja's

Perhaps just invite some likely candidates for the upcoming UK Pension forum.

Naah they would end boring the crocodiles to death with their whining

Way back when, there was a former SAS guy on here who claimed that he beat up a couple of burglars that were in his house and ended up getting charged for it.

Did he live Pattaya by any chances and some of his closest associates were ex-navy seals, CIA and ninja's

Phuket and he hated yanks. biggrin.png

Once I have my house completed I intend on ensuring my wife and I have adequate protection.

This starts out with decent perimeter security, i.e. decent walls, sensors etc, and continues with decent windows, secure roofing, locks etc…

And as a last resort - A shot gun, I would prefer to have some form of non lethal projectile, i.e. rocksalt shots loaded, I would also like a hand gun, locked in a conveniently located safe - It is my understanding we can obtain legal ownership in BKK.

I would also like a ‘safe-room’ as per the movie. Designing our own house gives us this luxury.

Ultimately, I’ll stop caring about the law if someone has the intention of doing my family harm.

I believe that an individual situation can be judged on its own merits. If I am ever forced to become the person I don’t wish to be and take justifiable action I will not take issue with the repercussions, protecting my family takes priority. That said, I believe that given a situation where I feel lethal force on my part is required I believe the law may favor my side.

I hope the TV anti-gun lobby don’t roll in and destroy this thread as they did another recently.

• Like 1

Once I have my house completed I intend on ensuring my wife and I have adequate protection.

This starts out with decent perimeter security, i.e. decent walls, sensors etc, and continues with decent windows, secure roofing, locks etc…

And as a last resort - A shot gun, I would prefer to have some form of non lethal projectile, i.e. rocksalt shots loaded, I would also like a hand gun, locked in a conveniently located safe - It is my understanding we can obtain legal ownership in BKK.

I would also like a ‘safe-room’ as per the movie. Designing our own house gives us this luxury.

Ultimately, I’ll stop caring about the law if someone has the intention of doing my family harm.

I believe that an individual situation can be judged on its own merits. If I am ever forced to become the person I don’t wish to be and take justifiable action I will not take issue with the repercussions, protecting my family takes priority. That said, I believe that given a situation where I feel lethal force on my part is required I believe the law may favor my side.

I hope the TV anti-gun lobby don’t roll in and destroy this thread as they did another recently.

Yes I think when it comes to family I'll do what I have to do and worry about the consequences later. If I did time then so be it,.

• Like 1

I recall a few years back a foreigner chased and drowned a Thai after a nasty attempt to break into a house. There's an old thread about it somewhere on the forum. If my failing memory serves me right the police didn't charge him as it was self defence.

I recall a few years back a foreigner chased and drowned a Thai after a nasty attempt to break into a house. There's an old thread about it somewhere on the forum. If my failing memory serves me right the police didn't charge him as it was self defence.

I think in that case the Thai wife was shot and very seriously injured at the front gate. Her husband, the foreigner was also shot as he grappled with the shooter and drowned him in a drain next to the house. As far as I know he was never charged with anything.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

A relatively simple one is locking your bedroom door at night (and of course having an actual hardwood door, not one of those light parawood doors). No 'average' burglar is going to break down a locked internal door when they know someone is inside. Now if you have been targeted personally, that's another issue.

:)

• Like 1

A relatively simple one is locking your bedroom door at night (and of course having an actual hardwood door, not one of those light parawood doors). No 'average' burglar is going to break down a locked internal door when they know someone is inside. Now if you have been targeted personally, that's another issue.

smile.png

indeed - and in that scenario having a gun in there is simply not a good idea, not least because the person targeting you might be locked in the room with you whistling.gif

I need your contractor's name for digging the basement and installing the trap door. Will the run-of-the-mill Asian crocs work, or do you suggest importing the Australian saltwater variety?

What's involdved with legally owning a firearm in Thailand, both for Thai's and Farang.

For the Thai, not much. an application, some minor conditions, takes a few months.

You can I believe get a licence for 2 guns.

For a Farang it is more complicated but can be done.

It seems whenever the issue of firearms appear on this board, the anti-gun lobby shows up.

I just don't feel like arguing today. I will say for anyone contemplating home defense that firearms are legal for both Thais and Falangs to own/keep in their homes subject to certain rules and procedures. Search Thaivisa and the procedures and rules are out there already. Just because you are Falang, do not automatically assume that you will be denied the ability to have a firearm. This is simply not true.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Greek for "Come and take them!"; Response of Greek King Leonidas to the demand of Persian King Xerxes to surrender his weapons at the battle of Thermopylae.)

It seems whenever the issue of firearms appear on this board, the anti-gun lobby shows up.

This is the third mention of this infamous anti-gun lobby in this thread . . . yet not a sign of even an individual. You guys sound like the NRA hyperventilating about their rights being abused when a bill is proposed to ban armour-piercing bullets.

I guess one can always create an enemy

• Like 1

This was one of the main 'burning issues' that was to be addressed at the 'LIVE' internet conference with Lawyers some months ago. I don't think there ever was an answer, just a double-talking anicdotal story which I fell asleep during. Maybe someone else managed to stay awake long enough to get an answer.

Oz