Thailand Needs Cricket

Now .. it would be poor form to have a page here without an interesting graphic.

Woman in cricket ... we agree that we all need that?

post-104736-0-90524600-1337776626_thumb.

As I explained in another thread a few weeks ago I am not sure about women's cricket, per se

While in theory, women playing cricket is a combination made in heaven, in practice someone needs to make the sandwiches

I suppose this would be less of an issue in Thailand due to the easy availability of low wage foreign workers (e.g. from Burma)

Regardless of whether they play, I am confident women can benefit from some involvement in cricket; and obviously men will benefit from the involvement of women

Mindful that we have to spread the gospel of cricket and the nature of Thailand ... thoughts on 'Beach Cricket' as a hook for the populace to piqué their interest in the game?

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now .. it would be poor form to have a page here without an interesting graphic.

As I explained in another thread a few weeks ago I am not sure about women's cricket, per se

While in theory, women playing cricket is a combination made in heaven, in practice someone needs to make the sandwiches

I suppose this would be less of an issue in Thailand due to the easy availability of low wage foreign workers (e.g. from Burma)

Regardless of whether they play, I am confident women can benefit from some involvement in cricket; and obviously men will benefit from the involvement of women

Mindful that we have to spread the gospel of cricket and the nature of Thailand ... thoughts on 'Beach Cricket' as a hook for the populace to piqué their interest in the game?

Sand gets into all the wrong places.

This girl is signed up already!

post-147205-0-46279700-1337777039_thumb.

Can I drive her coach?

SC

EDIt: Apologies for the missing comma

I'll ask around, next time I'm down at the Beach Club

While the OP is considering the potential for Beach Cricket to be a catalyst for a greater appreciation and take-up of the game, these two photos demonstrate the possibilities for change ...

From this ... post-104736-0-59997100-1337824806_thumb. to this ... post-104736-0-22052300-1337824811_thumb. then finally as part of the establishment but adapted for local form to this ... post-104736-0-04352100-1337824814_thumb.

While the OP is considering the potential for Beach Cricket to be a catalyst for a greater appreciation and take-up of the game, these two photos demonstrate the possibilities for change ...

From this ... post-104736-0-59997100-1337824806_thumb. to this ... post-104736-0-22052300-1337824811_thumb. then finally as part of the establishment but adapted for local form to this ... post-104736-0-04352100-1337824814_thumb.

Classic photos!

It seems so far we have:

Traditional mens cricket 5 Day tests (Standard Laws of the Game)

Vacant lot cricket (Backyard Rules)

Women's cricket team (Breaking the barrier rules)

Ladyboy cricket team (Where Fashion Rules!)

Bargirl cricket team (Anything goes Rules to win!)

Beach cricket (Play until beer cooler empty Rules)

Cheerleader squad (Who cares about Rules here!!!?)

It seems so far we have:

We're going to need a bigger coach...

Beach cricket is indeed a very good idea for practice sessions

As the West Indies team shows, generations of playing cricket on the beach has led to great strength in pace bowling (spinners generally prosper on a beach wicket) and flamboyant front foot focused batting (waiting for the ball to come to you and hoping to use the pace of the ball is difficult on a beach); by practicing on the beach, Thai cricketers could develop similar skills

It should be noted though that, as with the West Indies, beach cricket can engender careless running between the cricket; it is difficult for a beach cricketer, during a match on a real grass pitch, to judge the much faster pace that the ball will travel across a grass outfield and the faster pace that fielders are able to move across grass than sand; therefore beach cricketers often see a run when there is none available and are run out

therefore beach cricketers often see a run when there is none available and are run out

This brings another problem. Has anyone seen a Thai run? The most they can manage is a very short slow walk with a book held to shade the face.

Edited by harrry

It seems so far we have:

SC you are brilliant...thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

High speed train from Chaing Mai to Bangkok

Now...There's a reason why "Thailand Needs Cricket"...clap2.gif

/quote]

SC you are brilliant...thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Thats a thought......we can always use the tracks for cricket pitches.....after all no train will run for 20 years.

It seems so far we have:

I've never actually driven a train; I'm worried about being able to keep on those tiny narrow little rails... I don't know how the MRT fellows manage, in the dark as well. Anyway, I'm up for it - surely can't be that difficult

SC

/quote]

Thats a thought......we can always use the tracks for cricket pitches.....after all no train will run for 20 years.

Well, no worries. I'll enjoy me Cheer squad coaching and we can import an ex london dubble decker for SC....wink.png

SC

I don't think you would find it difficult, but,as I just mentioned in my reply to Harry,any problems,

then we can import an ex London Dubble Decker....wink.png

SC

I don't think you would find it difficult, but,as I just mentioned in my reply to Harry,any problems,

Fez pleese

Will need to get the Manager to negotiate....smile.png

SC

Fez pleese

Wearing a fez, I can drive it just like that!

I love it when a plan comes together...

SC

Fez pleese

Will the dubble deker have a good sound system?

Or will everyone have to sing.

The wheels on the bus go round and round

Round and round......

Edited by harrry

SC

Fez pleese

Round and round......

I can just see me driving a double-decker, wearing a fez

Like Tommy Cooper meets Cliff Richards

SC

Fez pleese

Round and round......

The sound system will be bigger than anything ever produced in Thailand....smile.png

And as you have been nominated "DJ"....clap2.gif .

You can sing "round and round and round and round the wheels on the bus turn table goes"...ermm.gif

Edited by kevjohn

The sound system will be bigger than anything ever produced in Thailand....smile.png

You can sing "round and round and round and round the wheels on the bus turn table goes"...ermm.gif

We've been talking at cross-purposes, haven't we?

When you said "double-decker" I thought you meant a bus, not two phonogram turntables...

When you said "double-decker" I thought you meant a bus, not two phonogram turntables...

I agree with StreetCowboy and have been busy researching the available options.

So I was able to locate this ... post-104736-0-66714300-1337832362_thumb.

This allows both the air-conditioned comfort for the journey to the grounds, with the added advantage of a viewing platform for public appearances.

post-104736-0-04153800-1337832671_thumb. post-104736-0-55140200-1337832674_thumb.

Thus, when Thailand transforms from a Cricketing minnow into a world force in the game the viewing platform will become a stage by which the populus can admire their new found heroes.

Benefit to Thailand ... increased self esteem through success on the sporting field?

Edited by David48

Beach cricket is indeed a very good idea for practice sessions

As the West Indies team shows, generations of playing cricket on the beach has led to great strength in pace bowling (spinners generally prosper on a beach wicket) and flamboyant front foot focused batting (waiting for the ball to come to you and hoping to use the pace of the ball is difficult on a beach); by practicing on the beach, Thai cricketers could develop similar skills

It should be noted though that, as with the West Indies, beach cricket can engender careless running between the cricket; it is difficult for a beach cricketer, during a match on a real grass pitch, to judge the much faster pace that the ball will travel across a grass outfield and the faster pace that fielders are able to move across grass than sand; therefore beach cricketers often see a run when there is none available and are run out

Much easier doing Spin bowling as you get older also!

Edited by BookMan

OK Just to elaborate

Dubble decker.....Dubble Decker Bus

Sound system.....Turn Table plus whatever....Biggest ever seen in Thailand

Harry...................DJ

SC......................Driver wearing Fez

Fez.....................Not to be confused with fees smile.png

I agree with StreetCowboy and have been busy researching the available options.

So I was able to locate this ... post-104736-0-66714300-1337832362_thumb.

This allows both the air-conditioned comfort for the journey to the grounds, with the added advantage of a viewing platform for public appearances.

post-104736-0-04153800-1337832671_thumb. post-104736-0-55140200-1337832674_thumb.

Thus, when Thailand transforms from a Cricketing minnow into a world force in the game the viewing platform will become a stage by which the populus can admire their new found heroes.

Benefit to Thailand ... increased self esteem through success on the sporting field?

I may even encourage my soon to be born half-Thai son to represent the Thai national team

I expect him to be the best cricketer ever so he will likely lead Thailand to great cricketing success

He will be more of a batsmen but I will ask the wife if we can make a bowler next year

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules