Manchester United

redrus

I find it amazing how some people view a game of football

Manu were bullied off the ball throughout the game which to be fair the ref did respond too to a degree, the penalty was the right call but was like a CM close to being a good challenge and a challenge that probably didn't need to be made, weakest link was Rashford……………..he has been off form for several weeks why was even on the pitch, the rest of the players put their heart and sole into the game bar none, Luka should have been on from the start or declared unfit period, maybe he sneezed on the bus on the way there, Chelsea defended the whole game playing like a loosing side and they got lucky, a goal up it just looked the same - 8 defenders

Chelsea played like a bottom three team like West Brom and got lucky

Edited by smedly

On 5/14/2018 at 1:04 PM, nev said:

50/50 mate, he was either rested for the final or he has played his last game for us.

Great player but inconsistent at times, maybe that's due to lack of games.

I think the lack of playing time has a lot to do with it, same for Rashford.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

The FA Cup final was a disappointment on several levels.

Well done to Chelsea, they did what they needed to do and their performance was reminiscent of many under Mourinho’s stewardship.

I wouldn’t want to be a Chelsea season ticket holder though.

United were dire in the first half - they just didn’t turn up . The second half half was much better from them and they ‘deserved’ an .equaliser. 

I am not sure where United go from here. They did not look at all balanced and, apart from a few good spells late on, they looked like a bunch of misfits.

Jones has been pilloried in the press and I have World Cup concerns about him - neither he nor Smalling looked commanding.

I didn’t really notice Antonio until late on and the pundits called Herrera correctly in that he was neutralised by his man marking of Hazard.

Pogba looked good in small doses but for £89m he simply has to be more effective and contribute more goals. Matic  and Lingard OK but didn’t pull up any trees. 

Sanchez was appalling; didn’t look interested, didn’t fit in anywhere and @ £200k p.w. he is looking a worse purchase than Pogba.

Ashley Young was one of the few to impress me and he has morphed into a decent left back. Looked dangerous going forward although his crossing could have been better. 

I will always be a Rashford fan but he struggled to get in the game and I am not sure what system he was supposed to be playing to.

Mourinho........the game is better for having him. However, I would raise question marks over the team selection... Lukaku on the bench was a no win situation;short of match sharpness, he was unlikely to make an impact in the last quarter.

Personally, I would have started with Lukaku and Rashord up front and Mata in midfield - leaving out Lingard.  Lukaku might have grown into the game and there seems to a better understanding between him and Rashford. Martial was available if a change was required or Lukaku suffered fatigue or injury recurrence. I am sure I would have replaced Sanchez with Lingard at some point and McTominay for Mata after his shift.

Man City must have looked at this game and thought ...yep, the title is ours again next season. Klopp must fancy second place.

PS.... Hazard’s penalty was piss-poor and if De Gea stood up, or chose to dive to his left, he could have saved Jones’ blushes.

IMO, a spot on summary of the game...….and cannot disagree with anything you have written!

5 hours ago, smedly said:

Chelsea defended the whole game playing like a loosing side and they got lucky, a goal up it just looked the same - 8 defenders

Chelsea played like a bottom three team like West Brom and got lucky

on any other day of the season you are talking about the Portuguese Pulis' United side, the irony.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Rednose is on the mend.

Ferguson has left hospital less than one month after emergency brain surgery.

Ferguson, 76, is now recovering at home.

Hopefully he will make a full recovery.

Cracking manager and character.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wilai said:

Woodward....."Jose?....Neymar, Bale, Griezemann? Who do you want?"

Mourinho......."I want Da Lot"

Woodward......" Done"                 :biggrin:

Do you reckon he could turn Neymar into a right back?

Interesting  that RedNev says back in the 80s there were loads of Liverpool  fans at his school in Bury, about 8 miles from Manchester  town hall .

My school, also about 8 miles away, in the 70s was almost 100% City or ManU fans [i remember  one Leeds fan, and a cockney WHU fan (one of the few non-mancunians in the school)]; i don't  recall ANY liverpool fans. Bury is a little  bit closer to liverpool than my place but were there really loads of Liverpool  fans at his school? How was it at your school Nev?

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Interesting  that RedNev says back in the 80s there were loads of Liverpool  fans at his school in Bury, about 8 miles from Manchester  town hall .

My school, also about 8 miles away, in the 70s was almost 100% City or ManU fans [i remember  one Leeds fan, and a cockney WHU fan (one of the few non-mancunians in the school)]; i don't  recall ANY liverpool fans. Bury is a little  bit closer to liverpool than my place but were there really loads of Liverpool  fans at his school? How was it at your school Nev?

Remember Gnev is younger than us and in the 80's Liverpool attracted a lot of glory hunters.

My school was I would say mainly United City and County, only other team fans I can remember was one Burnley who turned to city later, one Leeds and one Liverpool.

^We used to go to watch County on Friday night (when i was 6th form age my dad would drop me off at the pub in Romiley
to meet up with friends for the last hour ) and watch City on Saturday's - my old man reckoned we should help out County by 4 of us going along. Did you get down Edgeley Park as well as Old Trafford?

On 6/5/2018 at 11:43 AM, wilai said:

Woodward....."Jose?....Neymar, Bale, Griezemann? Who do you want?"

Mourinho......."I want Da Lot"

Woodward......" Done"                 :biggrin:

Told youse! :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^We used to go to watch County on Friday night (when i was 6th form age my dad would drop me off at the pub in Romiley
to meet up with friends for the last hour ) and watch City on Saturday's - my old man reckoned we should help out County by 4 of us going along. Did you get down Edgeley Park as well as Old Trafford?

Yes I went to many county games, I was mates with most of county's top lads, used to drag me to away games with county too.

When United played county at old Trafford in the league cup I went in their end it was all good banter with county leading 2-1 then United scored two late goals to win.

3 hours ago, carmine said:

Sounds like you've made a very good signing from Porto, that lads supposed to be the business.

So now to form the "backline" we have...………….

This new guy,

Valencia,

Darmian,

Baille,

Jones,

Smalling

Rojo

Blind

Shaw

Young

Lindelof

And a young academy guy who played a few games.

So 11 players for 3 or 4 positions...……….pure madness.

Edited by xylophone

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

So now to form the "backline" we have...………….

This new guy,

Valencia,

Darmian,

Baille,

Jones,

Smalling

Rojo

Blind

Shaw

Young

Lindelof

And a young academy guy who played a few games.

So 11 players for 3 or 4 positions...……….pure madness.

And a very expensive collection at that.  I wouldn't be surprised he he binned some over the summer.

So now United have a new right back, who can also play left and will probably be signing Alderweirald.  At full strength that would be one helluva back five.

Its going to be a big year for Mourinho and United.

+Another. Axel Tuanzebe (20) another Academy player who played last season on loan at Aston Villa.The best game he had during the season was at right back.

If my contact is right Darmian is in negotiation with Inter and Blind is also looking to move back to Europe but still far too many and too many young players not getting enough games. You dont get better sitting on the bench or in the stands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carmine said:

At full strength that would be one helluva back five.

Back twelve you mean!!

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

If my contact is right Darmian is in negotiation with Inter and Blind is also looking to move back to Europe but still far too many and too many young players not getting enough games. You dont get better sitting on the bench or in the stands.

Absolutely agree with your last point, but Mourinho wants cover in all positions so will be careful whom he lets go.

I rate Blind, but not so much Darmian………...any way IMO the strongest are; Lindelhof, Jones (when not injured), Smalling, Shaw, Young (caught out of position easily), Valencia on occasion, Baille when not charging around the place.

Problem is that many seem to have fallen out of favour with Mo...……..eg. Shaw, Baille, Darmian, Blind etc and I hope these guys can find other clubs with a more flexible thinking manager.

As said above I think Darmian and Blind can be taken off that list. Shaw's future at Utd is still questionable, as I wouldn't beiu surprised if either Smalling or Jones went.

Also worth bearing in mind Valencia and Young are over 30 and we need to look at their successors.

And on Bailly - I think he will be back to the first XI next season. Jose said he deliberately didn't play him towards the end of the season to give those playing in the WC a chance to gain form / match fitness / stake a claim for selection. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I was very disappointed to read ManU had beaten City to a first summer signing but then i was very happy to read it was only only a 2 yr extension for Fellaitio. You reds must be thrilled.

We have signed two other players Fred and Dalot, Fellaini was only holding out for a two year contract as he was at first offered only a 1 year one, By the way he is not everyone's cup of tea but he gives 100% every game and a good addition to have in the squad.

• Like 2