The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

NEW RESTAURANT

BBQ Prime Time at Soi MIT (Made in Thailand)at Pagoda Bar Central Pattaya

Between 2nd road and Soi Buakhow

Mini version of BBQ Prime Time at Thepprasit Soi 9 Jomtien 

https://www.facebook.com/bbqprimetimesoimitpagoda

Recently opened. 

BBQ Prime Time Jomtien is well regarded.

Hopefully there will be similar quality at the Pattaya location.

Video about the Jomtien location --

Edited by Jingthing

Tulip House 

Dutch Restaurant 

Jomtien Beach Road

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g3366878-d6677121-Reviews-Tulip_House-Jomtien_Beach_Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Years ago I "reviewed" Ons Moeder Dutch Restaurant in Jomtien but I haven't eaten there in a very long time.

I was weirdly craving some Dutch Kroketten and was randomly near Tulip House which I have never tried before, so it happened.

Enjoyed a small meal of Ertwensoep Dutch pea soup 120 (includes some meat) and a Goulash Kroketten on a Euro loaf type of white bread, 130. I was unclear whether they serve Kroketten a la carte in a portion plate or a choice of it with bread. I thought I ordered a portion but got it as a sandwich, which turned out to be a good thing anyway. Only one Kroketten though so I wonder if served as a portion without bread it might be two. Don't know.

The pea soup was actually better than I remember at Ons Moeder. I never had Kroketten there, but the Kroketten tasted standard (good) at Tulip House. No condiments were offered but I asked for mustard and got basic American yellow mustard. I was hoping for a more European mustard.

You will also find other standard Dutch dishes, such as cheese, Bitterballen which are similar to Kroketten but smaller ball shaped, Hutspot, Stampot with endive and large meatball, and even an Indonesian fried rice with chicken sate dish. Moderate prices for everything.

Such items are offered in Dutch only. Be sure to look at sign boards for these Dutch choices.

It's Winter Olympics time now so the Dutch fans are all oranged out at the moment (Dutch t.v. showing it there) so maybe better to visit at a less busy time.

• Like 1

AREPAS Venezuelan "Street Kitchen"
Shop house restaurant not yet open on Thappraya Road, Jomtien close to Simon's Fish and Chips

Definitely will be the first Venezuelan restaurant in town!

I wish they were going to do baked South American empanadas too but that's asking too much.

What are Apepas?

Arepas are great! There are stands in NY where they make them on the street. Should be a good addition here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Arepas are great! There are stands in NY where they make them on the street. Should be a good addition here.

Yeah I know they're often done in trendy food court settings in stalls. Not sure about dedicating an entire fixed restaurant to them in Thailand though. Seems like a big bold risk and of course I wish them the best of luck.

Now please someone open an Ethiopian restaurant here!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Khunthong Thai Restaurant

(no English sign)

Pattaya Klang, north side of street

Just past Big C Extra towards Sukhumwit, next to the 7-11 on the corner

Most of us are spoiled for access to Thai food here in ... Thailand. So "basic" Thai food is usually available close to home, or wherever we happen to be around town. People don't usually go out of their way for such food. 

Khunthong might be one of those more special Thai restaurants worth a special trip. I'm not fully convinced after one visit, but I think it will probably be so for me. As I don't get to that area all that often, I'm not sure how long it's been open, but I think it's relatively new-ish. 

They have many menu items you don't see at the "basic" places with an emphasis on fish and seafood dishes. 

The menu itself is clear with English and pictures. The staff is quirky, charming, super friendly and welcoming. Thai smiles are still happening in Pattaya. Who knew? 

I tried pea sprouts fried with garlic in a Thai style bean sauce (120), spicy fried pork balls salad (130), and a clear broth mackerel soup rather Chinese style with lettuce in it (70). Rice and drinks for non-tourist prices. 

I was very impressed with the food and looking forward to trying other items on their menu.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Khunthong Thai Restaurant

(no English sign)

Pattaya Klang, north side of street

Just past Big C Extra towards Sukhumwit, next to the 7-11 on the corner

Most of us are spoiled for access to Thai food here in ... Thailand. So "basic" Thai food is usually available close to home, or wherever we happen to be around town. People don't usually go out of their way for such food. 

Khunthong might be one of those more special Thai restaurants worth a special trip. I'm not fully convinced after one visit, but I think it will probably be so for me. As I don't get to that area all that often, I'm not sure how long it's been open, but I think it's relatively new-ish. 

They have many menu items you don't see at the "basic" places with an emphasis on fish and seafood dishes. 

The menu itself is clear with English and pictures. The staff is quirky, charming, super friendly and welcoming. Thai smiles are still happening in Pattaya. Who knew? 

I tried pea sprouts fried with garlic in a Thai style bean sauce (120), spicy fried pork balls salad (130), and a clear broth mackerel soup rather Chinese style with lettuce in it (70). Rice and drinks for non-tourist prices. 

I was very impressed with the food and looking forward to trying other items on their menu.

In my neighbourhood, thanks.  Will try soon.  My Thai comparison food is green chicken curry.  Sure hope they have a good version.

On 2/11/2018 at 6:45 PM, DannyTheWriter said:

I was also very impressed on my first trip to Big Kahuna. Had the Cuban sandwich, which was outstanding, and the service was very good. Had heard good reviews from others, and it didn’t disappoint.

Burgers for over 400 thb...how much was the Reuben?

Had a burger at The Hard Rock.

Got to be one of the biggest ripoff places in town.

20 bucks I had to send it back because it was raw.

I guess I was paying to look at all the supposed  memorabilia.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2018 at 9:01 AM, HLover said:

Burgers for over 400 thb...how much was the Reuben?

Big Kahuna burgers range between 235 and 425. The 425 one is a ridiculously large sized one. Most choices are under 300. All include a soft drink.

Reuben is 325 also including a soft drink. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2018 at 9:07 AM, bkk6060 said:

Had a burger at The Hard Rock.

Got to be one of the biggest ripoff places in town.

20 bucks I had to send it back because it was raw.

I guess I was paying to look at all the supposed  memorabilia.

The rip off price is expected but I reckon from their POV serving it "raw" may have been a gourmet feature. :stoner:

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Big Kahuna burgers range between 235 and 425. The 425 one is a ridiculously large sized one. Most choices are under 300. All include a soft drink.

Thank you,sir.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:29 PM, champers said:

Recently, I reported that Shamalamadindong has closed. This will be opening at the location (no timeframe, sorry).

20171220_174307.jpg

Now closed - always seemed very quiet.

Also, the recently opened Thai Express (at the old Coffee Club location) on Naklua Road may soon suffer the same fate. Walked past the other day at 7pm and the place was empty.  Kiss next door was about a third full, the unnamed Thai place the other side of Kiss was completely full. 

Edited by champers

On 2/11/2018 at 2:33 PM, Jingthing said:

Regarding this post about BBQ Prime Time, I'm not sure if the new Pattaya location is a second location or if the original Jomtien BBQ Prime Time has closed. Does anyone know?

It looked shut when I went passed the other day ( lunchtime).

On 12/21/2017 at 2:23 PM, Roger Lee said:

Meeting Point Darkside

A German restaurant with a friendly staff and an owner with good prices on their food.  I had the Schnitzel with gravy and mushrooms, my friend had the Currywurst (small size), both priced about 149 baht apiece, not bad imho.  Very tasty, well presented and fairly priced.  The Schnitzel was very tender and very delicious as was the sausage, definitely authentic German food. 

I got the fried potatoes as french fries can be obtained about anywhere, and the other dish had potato salad.  The potato salad was outstanding and memorable.  It had a cream sauce which I couldn't id but it was excellent, not the usual mustard additive that usually is added to potato salad.  The fried potatoes were very good also but that potato salad was extraordinary.

A smaller place but nearly fully packed at about 11:30am so it's a popular place.  Located on 60 Moo 10, Soi Khao Talo, Pattaya (Darkside).  I'll gladly return for more great food.

LL4A4172.jpg

LL4A4173.jpg

LL4A4177.jpg

LL4A4178.jpg

I think your good post will cause me to pay the Meeting Point Resto a visit sometime  during the next few days.

Thanks.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, roger101 said:

It looked shut when I went passed the other day ( lunchtime).

Which location looked shut?

The new one in Pattaya definitely exists.

I think it might be a NIGHTTIME only place.

What I'm asking about is if the JOMTIEN location, the original one of the same brand, still exists, or did they close that to move to the small Pattaya location. 

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Which location looked shut?

The new one in Pattaya definitely exists.

I think it might be a NIGHTTIME only place.

What I'm asking about is if the JOMTIEN location, the original one of the same brand, still exists, or did they close that to move to the small Pattaya location. 

The one in Jomtein. But as I only drive past there at luchtime I cant help you with the evening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roger101 said:

The one in Jomtein. But as I only drive past there at luchtime I cant help you with the evening.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't really care about the Jomtien location for myself but others might be curious. I hope to get around to trying the Pattaya location sometime. I'm a little skeptical as it looks like a dive but it's got that respectable branding.

Edited by Jingthing

14 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I think your good post will cause me to pay the Meeting Point Resto a visit sometime  during the next few days.

Thanks.

I agree, it's a great place.    I had lunch there a few weeks ago and will certainly return.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I thought it was pretty clear from their facebook page that they have moved to Soi made in Thailand, not opened a second venue.

I suppose you're right. I just was seeking definitive confirmation more than pretty clear. BTW, based on the FB page the Pattaya location is open during the daytime. 

• Haha 1

On 04/06/2017 at 4:11 PM, Jingthing said:

Now back to the type of post that this thread is supposed to be all about!:partytime2:

GUMBO HOUSE

(previously mentioned by another but this is about my visit)

Cajun Seafood Restaurant and Bar

New Orleans / Lousiana style food of course but also Thai food.

Jomtien Beach road (far out)

It's a long walk south (but doable if you like to walk) from the last place baht buses stop, which is at Chayuphreuk.

The restaurant is near The Aeras condo

Map here:

https://goo.gl/maps/wbtiP6yLCVw

Hours -- Open DAILY, 11 am to 9 pm

What a delightful little restaurant with of course spectacular sea views.:post-4641-1156694572:

One doesn't expect world class New Orleans / Lousiana style food in Pattaya, but overall based on the two dishes I tried, they are making a serviceable effort, and it should satisfy a craving for those that know the food, and something "exotic" for others. No, the food won't ever replace a trip to Lousiana, but what did you expect? My context for my comments is that I do have some (not massive) experience eating world class food of this type, in New Orleans and elsewhere. 

(Even cooked by the famous deceased chef Paul Prudhomme, sorry name dropping is so crass.)

Had the red beans and rice, 150 and the seafood gumbo, 180.

Served with meh garlic bread and a "lagniappe" of a very nice potato salad (free taste). 

Might seem like a big order, but I was hungry, and it wasn't really too much food. 

The red beans and rice was satisfying. I don't think strictly authentic but certainly very pleasant. The sausage surely not the authentic Andouille style, but still worked in the dish. 

The seafood gumbo featured limited chunks of shellfish in a too bland, but still authentic enough tasting sauce. I'm assuming they cooked a real "roux" a key to this cooking, based on the flavor.

A great thing about the gumbo is that there was GUMBO FILE powder on the table which is typically added to the soup after cooking to add more flavor. Surprising to see that here! Make sure you use it for flavor. It makes a big difference. It's not a hot spicy thing but a FLAVOR thing. 

Other dishes from the New Orleans menu include jambalaya (rice mixture with seafood), chicken/sausage gumbo, the classic shrimp etoufee which another member found good, and Po Boy sandwiches made with fried seafood (even had a shrimp stir fry sandwich which isn't authentic). 

One really cool thing about their menu is that you can get their New Orleans / Lousiana style standards in three different sizes! So you can taste a bunch of stuff. Appetizer size, side dish size, and of course main course size (as I ordered). Not for the Po Boys though. 

This isn't a "rave review" by any means, but I am certainly well pleased that this place exists here, and do plan on visiting again. That's sometimes the ultimate measure, is it good enough to want to visit again. 

Also consider the rarity of this food style here and the sea view, the price levels seem to me more than reasonable. No plus plus. 

I am kind of surprised that they don't have Cajun BLACKENED fish on the menu. 

For food nerds ... Cajun vs. Creole. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/Menuism/cajun-vs-creole_b_1447822.html

Last but not least.

Pictures.

IMG_20170602_173154.jpg.f6efdf477b3c29ac54c34c61a86f237b.jpg

IMG_20170602_164857.jpg.c0bac648f9234b6703e49e7111222957.jpg

IMG_20170602_173138.jpg.f8a700286f0a64a904b0c1b887eaf858.jpg

Excellent review. I also like Gumbo house although I am not an expert on the food. I particularly like the Jambalaya although now it seems to be sausage only.

Also, baht buses now go down there, quite a lot actually, so it is not so isolated any more.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2018 at 1:31 PM, Jingthing said:

Not sure if all the sandwiches do, but the ones I've had also included a side dish, which was a choice of onion rings, fries, and a couple others (cole slaw, maybe?).  Also, have had a nice big pickle with each sandwich.

Hannki

Food stall on the outside of the basement food court Central Pattaya Beach Mall

Modern Korean Fast Foods

Hannki joins another tiny Korean restaurant that is adjacent and replaces a Korean desserts stall. Hannki and the existing Korean place are not the same business and have different menus.

The menu and prices at Hannki sound appealing --

1. Pork Bulgogi on rice (marinated pork) 150

2. Dak Gangjeang (sweet and spicy fried chicken nuggets) 100

3. Beef Bulgogi on rice 180

4. Beef Bulgogi on bread roll 120

5. Pork Bulgogi on bread roll 90

6. Potato salad 60

Edited by Jingthing

On 2/15/2018 at 8:11 PM, watcharacters said:

Thanks.

I've been there and enjoyed it. German owner takes pride in his food. Good value.

• Thanks 1

Tok Lae Dee ( good & cheap) basement Foodland Pattaya Beach Rd.24Hrs.

69 Baht breakfast before 09:00  -75 Baht after

Good cheap Thai food ,  Red Pork & Dumpling Soup with lots of greens  -  a standout.

Open kitchen is a feature I like - if you get a seat nearest the kitchen you can watch your food being cooked.

IMAG0938.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1