The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Indian Rasoi is for me the best Indian that I have tried in Thailand.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d7904896-Reviews-Indian_Rasoi_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Price are at least ok (so many places more expensive) but some are even very cheap, as 60 thb big salad.

The choice is huge, I have never found any Indian restaurant with so many dishes and they even have western food and Thai food (expensive). I tried all the usual Indian dishes and they were all good.

I am not expert but if someone is I would like a confirmation of my review, as I am ready to learn.

When eating at Indian Rasoi I feel like all other Indian restaurants and not half as good and so much more expensive.

You can go at any time of day or night, this restaurant is always full, even when so many other Indian restaurants around are empty at the same time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Indian Rasoi is for me the best Indian that I have tried in Thailand.

Yes Indian Rasoi place has been discussed here before quite a lot:

General agreement that it is a good place for the price.

I later had repeated issues with them getting my spice level requests very wrong (which a place that knows you as a repeat customer really shouldn't) and switched my regular Indian custom to Bollywood Kurry (which is overall more expensive but you can get 10 percent off by mentioning Thaivisa).

Proactive mention. Bollywood Kurry doesn't have a facebook page or tripadviser listing. However. directions are provided in the link. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes Indian Rasoi place has been discussed here before quite a lot:

General agreement that it is a good place for the price.

I later had repeated issues with them getting my spice level requests wrong (which a place that knows you as a repeat customer really shouldn't) and switched my regular Indian custom to Bollywood Kurry (which is overall more expensive but you can get 10 percent off by mentioning Thaivisa).

I tried bollywood, no interest for me, all my fav dishes are more expensive and not better than Rasoi.

Also, why is Dosa hut so famous when it is also so expensive and not better ?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d8808420-Reviews-The_Dosa_Hut-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

All the food that I had didn't have the usual taste, even the Indian tea and the Lassi.

Maybe it's too good for me and I do not get it, but it would mean dozens of other Indian restaurants where I ate in my life where wrong. For me Dosa hut is a no go zone.

• Like 1

Funny you mentioned Dosa Hut. 

I plan on posting about it soon with some fresh thoughts. 

Enjoy Indian Rasoi. You don't need anyone else's "confirmation" if you like it! 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2016 at 2:47 PM, Jingthing said:

Indian Rasoi Restaurant

2nd Road, South Pattaya, going towards Jomtien

(opposite Nova Platinum Hotel)

Recently, I mentioned the new Indian restaurant Namaste.

On that same theme, over the years my go to moderate priced Indian restaurant often changes.

Not talking about higher end places like Indian by Nature, which is great but pricey, but more "regular" places.

So I would like to mention Indian Rasoi, a current favorite place.

In a similar location as Namaste but a fair trek further towards Jomtien on the same 2nd road (South Pattaya) in the Indian/Middle Eastern district.

Here's the tripadvisor listing:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d7904896-Reviews-Indian_Rasoi_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

I've found some dishes better than others but they are quite consistent and yes I would recommend Indian Rasoi over Namaste for overall experience.

Aside from the quite decent and authentically Indian food at fair prices, they always put a vegetable plate, mint sauce, and pickles on the table for every order.

Also very good response for whatever your spice level request is. Unlike so many Indian places that are so annoying with racial profiling and not believing it when a non-Indian person asks for it to be spicy.

A sample of how fair their prices are ... very good Dal Tadka for only 100 baht.

I am only referring to their Indian and Chinese-Indian fusion food. They also offer Russian and Thai food but not sure why you'd go there for that.

In 2016 it seems that you were able to post clear and useful reviews :-) (sorry but I still can't believe that the "vietnamese" restaurant on central pattaya is even worth looking at! *when it is not a vietnamese and even not a restaurant in my opinion))

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Thank you, I am really interested to read your review about Indian hut where staff don't care and do not even greet customers when arriving at the restaurant (4 of them came in when I was eating and not even a smile).

People at Indian Rasoi are very friendly, smiling, and the girl is cute :-)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

In 2016 it seems that you were able to post clear and useful reviews :-) (sorry but I still can't believe that the "vietnamese" restaurant on central pattaya is even worth looking at! *when it is not a vietnamese and even not a restaurant in my opinion))

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Again.

Keep in mind this thread is not restricted to posting about "wonderful" restaurants.

Its much more open ended and INFORMATION based than that.

Personally I don't want to eat BALUT ever, but someone posting about a new place serving BALUT, even dodgy BALUT, would be a perfect fit for this thread. 

• Like 1

How about Indian by Nature? Is this place still run by the Indian lady? I haven't been there in years and I pass by on my push bike regularly and never notice whether the place is still operating or not.

I remember enjoying it back then but it certainly wasn't on the cheap side as most Indians seem to be on the more expensive side over here.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DMC1 said:

How about Indian by Nature? Is this place still run by the Indian lady? I haven't been there in years and I pass by on my push bike regularly and never notice whether the place is still operating or not.

I remember enjoying it back then but it certainly wasn't on the cheap side as most Indians seem to be on the more expensive side over here.

People are welcome to post about it.

I have tried in the past when they used to be on eatigo and the food was wonderful.

Personally I don't value all the posh affectation, the gin service, etc.

Yes it's definitely still in business and it's definitely still expensive!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2017 at 0:20 PM, KittenKong said:

You can deliberately make very crispy toast (Melba toast) by grilling the sliced bread then slitting it across its thickness and then grilling the now visible insides. Very nice, very posh. Particularly good with pates or fish roe.

But here I suspect that they just used stale bread.

I think toast was invented to use up stale bread.

• Like 1

BEEFEATER STEAKHOUSE

Soi Diana (off 2nd road)

Another historic closing?:coffee1:

Possibly premature. Not sure. Does anyone know?

Last two times I walked by totally dark.

There is no sign saying "on vacation" or anything.

Their website says open daily.

I peaked inside the dark place and can't really see well enough for more clues.

• Like 1

UPDATE on Le Bistrot

I had mentioned before I wanted to try their Thai food. Well, I did try some of it tonight and my reaction to it is that the jury is still out.

The charming Thai lady host recommended the Choochee (dry red curry) fried fish fillet and the picture did look good, 179. Also the chicken massaman which by default has filet but you can get thigh meat on the bone on request. 

But I tried the spicy mussel salad and the pad krapow gai instead.

The spicy mussel salad (89) had a sort of European presentation but the flavor was definitely Thai. Good vegetables, the flavoring was a good balance though surprising a little short on chili, and the mussels were abundant. But that was the problem. They were quite small mussels and seemed overcooked. 

The pad krapow gai w/ rice and fried egg was 60 baht. Requested spicy it was short on chili and definitely long on fish sauce. That messed it up for me. The too much fish sauce. You can choose mince or filet. The egg requested runny was cooked perfectly. The feature was the "touch of France" -- some thin French style green beans in it. I liked that part.

I probably wouldn't order either dish again there, but I liked their Thai food enough to return to try other dishes.

Another member mentioned crepes. YES! They  do have a dessert crepe menu that I didn't seem to notice before. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2017 at 5:42 AM, bangkokairportlink said:

Again some smart owners not even able to put a sign on the door. Wish them to close definitively.

Sign on the door was there ahead of the annual close

I had a meal there just before  that.

Had this as main :

• Tournedos – Fillet steak center cut wrapped with bacon. Served on a bed of fried forest mushrooms and sautéed potatoes. Red wine sauce

It was excellent.

Shrimp cocktail was starter, also good.

Not cheap but good food.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 9:10 PM, Jingthing said:

UPDATE on Le Bistrot

I had mentioned before I wanted to try their Thai food. Well, I did try some of it tonight and my reaction to it is that the jury is still out.

The charming Thai lady host recommended the Choochee (dry red curry) fried fish fillet and the picture did look good, 179. Also the chicken massaman which by default has filet but you can get thigh meat on the bone on request. 

But I tried the spicy mussel salad and the pad krapow gai instead.

The spicy mussel salad (89) had a sort of European presentation but the flavor was definitely Thai. Good vegetables, the flavoring was a good balance though surprising a little short on chili, and the mussels were abundant. But that was the problem. They were quite small mussels and seemed overcooked. 

The pad krapow gai w/ rice and fried egg was 60 baht. Requested spicy it was short on chili and definitely long on fish sauce. That messed it up for me. The too much fish sauce. You can choose mince or filet. The egg requested runny was cooked perfectly. The feature was the "touch of France" -- some thin French style green beans in it. I liked that part.

I probably wouldn't order either dish again there, but I liked their Thai food enough to return to try other dishes.

Another member mentioned crepes. YES! They  do have a dessert crepe menu that I didn't seem to notice before. 

Thank you, I guess that I won't go to a French restaurant to eat Thai food and thanks to you I won't find weird anymore Thai who go to Italian restaurant and ask for Somtam :-)

Are you going to try more French dishes ? Is the owner French ?

Thanks for your report.

DOSA HUT

2nd Road, South Pattaya

Location map:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d8808420-Reviews-The_Dosa_Hut-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#MAPVIEW

Tripadvisor (highly rated)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d8808420-Reviews-The_Dosa_Hut-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

These days there are very many Indian restaurants in town and there are quite a few 100 percent vegetarian ones as well.

This one is 100 percent veg.

I think DOSA HUT is generally a safe bet for decent Indian food but it's not the cheapest. I won't get into rating the "best" (I will never even try them all!) but it's definitely not the worst. 

Prices are moderate for the Pattaya Indian food market level, and the menu is varied within the vegetarian theme, and 7 percent tax is added.

North Indian, South Indian, Chinese fusion, and of course the specialties of the house, DOSAS. 

I recall a long time ago I tried a thali there and wasn't overly impressed but it's been so long I wouldn't put much weight on that. 

Recently I've been very happy with some of their dishes and less happy with others.

Their masala dosa I think is very good. Their dosas had better be good, eh?

Vegetable pakora. (120?)

Almost zero grease. Almost like a Japanese tempura kind of experience. I loved it.

IMG_20170603_194130.thumb.jpg.2fe7bca465f21626b6972e7696edb89f.jpg
Bisi Bele Bath ordered spicy.

(rice and lentils cooked with veg), 140?

Loved it.

IMG_20170603_194135.thumb.jpg.56188d33a1296423124efd6962949dde.jpg

Tandoor stuff potato thing (150?)

Not much flavor, won't repeat

IMG_20170606_205108.thumb.jpg.ab318101e528f547168a934a67542ea4.jpg

Kadai plate w/ rice. 150 

I made the mistake of thinking it would be kadai with pakora (dumplings). No pakora. The kadai had almost no flavor. At about 150 this was an atrociously poor value. I did express the "mistake" to the staff and they could have worked something out for me because they do sell an a la carte portion of kadai pakora. They were of no help. In my opinion, a better restaurant takes note of customers that are very unhappy with their food and makes an effort to try to deal with it if possible. ESPECIALLY if they have seen the customer before and might be a potential regular.  No effort was made.:1zgarz5:

Another member mentioned that the staff is not cheerful. I'm afraid I'd have to agree with that characterization. 

IMG_20170606_205114.thumb.jpg.96a1f97a5b6c117b8449a838b243bce1.jpg

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Thank you, I guess that I won't go to a French restaurant to eat Thai food and thanks to you I won't find weird anymore Thai who go to Italian restaurant and ask for Somtam :-)

Are you going to try more French dishes ? Is the owner French ?

Thanks for your report.

The French menu is very limited. There are actually more Thai food choices. Other than the mussel choices and the pot au feu, they also have a beef stew and a chicken stew and perhaps a few other European style dishes. 

I haven't seen any CVs but the Thai lady host speaks French well and I assume she has lived in France. 

I have noticed French customers there as well. 

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

DOSA HUT

2nd Road, South Pattaya

Location map:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d8808420-Reviews-The_Dosa_Hut-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#MAPVIEW

Tripadvisor (highly rated)

These days there are very many Indian restaurants in town and there are quite a few 100 percent vegetarian ones as well.

This one is 100 percent veg.

I think DOSA HUT is generally a safe bet for decent Indian food but it's not the cheapest. I won't get into rating the "best" (I will never even try them all!) but it's definitely not the worst. 

Prices are moderate for the Pattaya Indian food market level, and the menu is varied within the vegetarian theme, and 7 percent tax is added.

North Indian, South Indian, Chinese fusion, and of course the specialties of the house, DOSAS. 

I recall a long time ago I tried a thali there and wasn't overly impressed but it's been so long I wouldn't put much weight on that. 

Recently I've been very happy with some of their dishes and less happy with others.

Their masala dosa I think is very good. Their dosas had better be good, eh?

Vegetable pakora. (120?)

Almost zero grease. Almost like a Japanese tempura kind of experience. I loved it.

IMG_20170603_194130.thumb.jpg.2fe7bca465f21626b6972e7696edb89f.jpg
Bisi Bele Bath ordered spicy.

(rice and lentils cooked with veg), 140?

Loved it.

IMG_20170603_194135.thumb.jpg.56188d33a1296423124efd6962949dde.jpg

Tandoor stuff potato thing (150?)

Not much flavor, won't repeat

IMG_20170606_205108.thumb.jpg.ab318101e528f547168a934a67542ea4.jpg

Kadai plate w/ rice. 150 

I made the mistake of thinking it would be kadai with pakora (dumplings). No pakora. The kadai had almost no flavor. At about 150 this was an atrociously poor value. I did express the "mistake" to the staff and they could have worked something out for me because they do sell an a la carte portion of kadai pakora. They were of no help. In my opinion, a better restaurant takes note of customers that are very unhappy with their food and makes an effort to try to deal with it if possible. ESPECIALLY if they have seen the customer before and might be a potential regular.  No effort was made.:1zgarz5:

Another member mentioned that the staff is not cheerful. I'm afraid I'd have to agree with that characterization. 

IMG_20170606_205114.thumb.jpg.96a1f97a5b6c117b8449a838b243bce1.jpg

Everything I hate there cannot compare with anything that I ate at Indian Rasoi.

It seems that dosa hut do not even know what is a sweet lassi ?

All their food was also over salted. I won't go again and I do not think that most price are acceptable. Everything that I have seen was more expensive than nay other Indian restaurant in Thailand.

16 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Everything I hate there cannot compare with anything that I ate at Indian Rasoi.

It seems that dosa hut do not even know what is a sweet lassi ?

All their food was also over salted. I won't go again and I do not think that most price are acceptable. Everything that I have seen was more expensive than nay other Indian restaurant in Thailand.

OK. Interesting. I am sensitive to over salted food and I've never noticed that at Dosa Hut. Also the menu as Dosa Hut is quite a bit different than Indian Rasoi.

Cheers.

If anyone is up for a pizza there is a promotion running now at Pizza Pizza , in the Avenue. Buy 1 get 1 free.  Regular size , so that means you pay only 160 baht  for one . 

And their pizzas are pretty good. 

• Like 1

Went to Sandbar by the Sea (200m from Beach Road, Jomtien along Dongtan Beach) Have eaten B'fast their often and never got on with their morning food other than the Omelette which is the best I've had anywhere.

Haven't eaten an evening meal there before, but tried the T-Bone Pork steak last night.

The Pork steak was cooked through (not Pink) but was juicy. Had Boiled Potatoes and I think they're called Sugar Snap Peas in their Pods.

Gorgeous, not cheap at 320 Bt and with a Red Wine was 500 Bt but lovely.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Indonesian restaurant in Pattaya

That is great news , we need it! 

If they have an Indonesian chef chances are good the food will be authentic. I will go there for a Gado-Gado .  Just to test if they can make it as I remember from Bali.  

It's on their menu for 139 baht  . At least 50 dishes has been named in the menu so can't wait. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 2