New Financial Requirements for Type O from Hull

It seems you now need the same requirements for a type O visa from Hull/UK as you would in Thailand seeking a retirement Visa, I have a feeling this will exclude an awful lot of people who reside here under 65 and over 50

extract below

or
5) Visiting Thailand as Pensioner aged 65 and over.
Evidence required:
a) Bank Statement or Pension Statement showing receipt of State and/or Private Pension.

Either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances.
or
6) Visiting Thailand as Retired Person aged between 50 and 64 years
Evidence required:
a) Copy of Bank Statement showing income of minimum 65,000 Baht (approx £1,400) per month or lump sum of minimum 800,000 Baht (approx £18,000)

Either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances.
Abb 01.08.13
3/

ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE FOR NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS

Category "O"

This is from Hull dated 7th august 2013

Nothing mentioned about the 900 gbp per month as it was previously

Yes , this has been a requirement for some time.sad.png

yes it has but not for that amount, it was 9000gbp cash or 900gbp per month until this change basically the same for unmarried retirement visa in Thailand and now they have revised it to reflect the full single mans retirement requirement and applied it for multiple O in the UK i.e 800k baht in bank or 65k income or mixture, in my opinion this will leave a lot of people out in the cold with fewer options if any, possibly getting the type O in neighbouring countries were this requirement is currently more relaxed

ultimately you may as well get a retirement visa as it's just the same

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

yes it has but not for that amount, it was 9000gbp cash or 900gbp per month until this change basically the same for unmarried retirement visa in Thailand and now they have revised it to reflect the full single mans retirement requirement and applied it for multiple O in the UK i.e 800k baht in bank or 65k income or mixture, in my opinion this will leave a lot of people out in the cold with fewer options if any, possibly getting the type O in neighbouring countries were this requirement is currently more relaxed

I wonder whether the 9,000 GBP bank balance / 900 GBP monthly income figures might actually be Hull's financial requirements for a marriage non-O visa (corresponding to the 400,000 THB bank balance / 40,000 THB monthly income requirements for marriage annual extensions of stay here in Thailand). Either that or it's simply down to the forever plunging value of the good old GBP as it declines relentlessly towards parity with the THB and, ultimately, the satang sad.png

I wonder whether the 9,000 GBP bank balance / 900 GBP monthly income figures might actually be Hull's financial requirements for a marriage non-O visa (corresponding to the 400,000 THB bank balance / 40,000 THB monthly income requirements for marriage annual extensions of stay here in Thailand). Either that or it's simply down to the forever plunging value of the good old GBP as it declines relentlessly towards parity with the THB and, ultimately, the satang sad.png

it is exactly as in my OP, the monetary requirement change within the last couple of weeks as per Hulls website - it now reflects exactly the same as an over 50 single persons retirement Visa obtained in Thailand except that this is a Type O visa - all I can see this doing is forcing people who can't qualify to resort to some under the table basically illegal practises - either going without any visa or paying some falang crook 20k baht to get a retirement visa

There was no need for it and all it's doing is penalising people who did everything correctly - this government gets worse by the day

Oh and it doesn't affect me but I know lots of good people it will affect

Edited by smedly

"it is exactly as in my OP, the monetary requirement change within the last couple of weeks as per Hulls website - it now reflects exactly the same as an over 50 single persons retirement Visa obtained in Thailand except that this is a Type O visa - all I can see this doing is forcing people who can't qualify to resort to some under the table basically illegal practises - either going without any visa or paying some falang crook 20k baht to get a retirement visa"

I am not understanding the logic !

How does adhering to the requirements "force" someone into illegal activity ?

"it is exactly as in my OP, the monetary requirement change within the last couple of weeks as per Hulls website - it now reflects exactly the same as an over 50 single persons retirement Visa obtained in Thailand except that this is a Type O visa - all I can see this doing is forcing people who can't qualify to resort to some under the table basically illegal practises - either going without any visa or paying some falang crook 20k baht to get a retirement visa"

I am not understanding the logic !

How does adhering to the requirements "force" someone into illegal activity ?

I didn't say that - I said people who can't qualify the new financial requirements

Hull is not the only honorary consulate in the UK. You could contact one them to find out what their requirements are.

I'm sharing this for the benefit of others, it doesn't affect me personally, but I suspect the other consulates will be following Hulls lead very soon

To obtain my retirement extension of stay these are the amounts I have to furnish, I waited until I had the money to be able to legally retire in Thailand, why some think they are special be it Brits, Americans, or who ever and do not need to adhere to the rules they get no sympathy from me.

• Like 2

I have removed three off-topic posts and the replies to them. The non-O visa is issued for many different purposes. This topic is neither about the non-O to visit Thai wife nor about the non-O visa for people younger than fifty years in general. It is about the non-O visa for people of 50 years or older to travel to Thailand for the purpose of applying for the retirement extension after arrival in Thailand (erroneously called "retirement Visa" in the opening post of this topic)

I have removed three off-topic posts and the replies to them. The non-O visa is issued for many different purposes. This topic is neither about the non-O to visit Thai wife nor about the non-O visa for people younger than fifty years in general. It is about the non-O visa for people of 50 years or older to travel to Thailand for the purpose of applying for the retirement extension after arrival in Thailand (erroneously called "retirement Visa" in the opening post of this topic)

my passport has retirement visa stamped in it

am i special or what?

" all I can see this doing is forcing people who can't qualify to resort to some under the table basically illegal practices"

If they don't qualify then they could resort to not coming to Thailand. Not everyone in the world is entitled to live or visit here.

Maybe some people need to face the fact they can't have everything they want and being denied something doesn't justify illegal behavior. I realize that's a tough lesson for Brits who think they are "special."

Rather than being racist against Brits, maybe you should realise that there are people in Thailand on legally obtained non-o visas who will now have trouble meeting the requirements to renew these visas. It is not their fault that the goal posts were moved on them. I guess you just have vitriol and no compassion.

Hope you never need anyones sympathy, help or advice.

• Like 1

RabC

It is still possible for a retired British person (65 yrs or older) to obtain a visa (single or multiple entry) to visit Thailand.by producing evidence of a "pension".

A British state pension pays a maximum of £5,720pa (approx 268,840 bht).

Clearly this level of income would not qualify a person for an extension of stay unless substantial savings could be evidenced.

However, if someone believes that their income will support them in buying flights, making border runs as well as maintaining a chosen lifestyle then good luck to them !

For those under aged 50-64 years the requirements , I believe, have not "changed" but rather are now being enforced.

Your complaints about "vitriol, racism and lack of compassion", I believe, are misplaced smile.png

Edited by jrtmedic

I can see how the rules have changed and maybe it is the way the consul applies the rules that seems to worry some people. When I went to Hull last November for Non-Imm 'O' 50-64 they asked me for a statement showing £20k in the bank. I don't really see what has changed from that point of view in fact now less seems to be needed.

Thanks to OP for bringing this to our notice.

I can see how the rules have changed and maybe it is the way the consul applies the rules that seems to worry some people. When I went to Hull last November for Non-Imm 'O' 50-64 they asked me for a statement showing £20k in the bank. I don't really see what has changed from that point of view in fact now less seems to be needed.

Thanks to OP for bringing this to our notice

Ditto. I have had 2 yearly visas already with proof of 20K in a UK bank.

The only main difference now I believe is that the paperwork has to be sent to the London consulate for approval of the non-O multiple entry visa. This is reported to take at least 4 days,. This is the subject of another active thread.

Over 65 only proof of pension (regardless of amount) is required for visa issue.

Apologies for hijacking the thread a bit. Does this mean that over 65's can get a retirement extension with just proof of their pension ?

Over 65 only proof of pension (regardless of amount) is required for visa issue.

Apologies for hijacking the thread a bit. Does this mean that over 65's can get a retirement extension with just proof of their pension ?

No, you can get a visa from Hull with just proof of pension. For an extension of stay from immigration you must still be able to show the required 65,000 a month OR 800,000 in the bank in Thailand OR a combination of yearly income and money in the bank totaling 800,000.

I don't understand the difference for those over 65.

Yes Lopburi3, it's what I read here, but like NeverSure I don't understand this difference : There is no such 65-yo limit in rules to get an extension "for retirement" while in Thailand, so why would Hull make an exception that allow people to make long-stay (using non-O multi) when they may not be able to get a "Retirement extension" or a O-A visa ?

For me a "non-O + retirement extension" or this "non-O multi" give (about) the same result : They authorize someone to live "indefinitely" in Thailand (using 12 or 15 months renewals). They should then have (about) the same financial requirement (800'000 baht). Not ?

Over 65 with a "pension" can obtain a multi-entry visa from their home country.

If the persons pension income does not meet the requirements of obtaining an extension of stay they have to leave Thailand once the visa expires. (If used wisely 15 months approx can be obtained.)

From what I know it is unlikely that a multi-entry visa based on being over 65 could be obtained from any nearby country.

Expensive return flights to the home country for the purpose of obtaining back to back "over 65" visas is likely to be a significant deterrent if one only has a limited income !

Edited by jrtmedic

As said apples and oranges - a visa is not an extension of stay and they have entirely different rules for issue from different government agencies. This 65 and older seems to be unique to Hull and maybe UK but many countries are liberal in issue of non immigrant visas older folks.