How can I geta Thai credit card ?

This is my first post and I would really appreciate any recommendations. I moved to Pattaya 6 months ago and purchased a condo and car in cash. I obtained a Retirement Visa and opened a bank account at Kasikorn where I have a balance in excess of 3 million bhat. I have AMEX and Citibank credit cards (issued in Australia) . I have spoken with Kasikorn, Citibank and American Express in Pattaya and Bangkok and have been told that I cannot get a Thai credit card. The reasons I was given were foreigners must either be working in Thailand (and have a work permit) or be collecting an overseas Government pension. I do not want to work and I am a few years too young for a pension. I can continue to use my Oz credit cards but I would prefer to have a local credit card ( I do not want a Debit Card). I assume the Thai Government is concerned about credit card bad debts. But can anyone give me advice on Thai financial institutions that are willing to issue cards to foreigners with a 'reasonable" financial net worth. Thanks

Yes, I had the same response with Bangkok Bank, they would give be a Credit Card for THB 100,000 but had to leave a deposit of THB 100,000 so not really a credit Card. I have two Debit Cards,and usually they are sufficient but occasionally when booking flights or holidays a Credit Card is required. Like you I had an AMEX Card (mine from UK) and applied for a Thai AMEX Card using my UK AMEX as a reference, I have been with them for over 30 years. No problem just completed the form and a few photocopies of Passport, Residence etc and Bingo I now have a Thai Amex. The only stumbling block, you are supposed to have a Landline telephone but here in the Jungle where we live there is no such animal which I explained and they accepted my mobile. I have used it a few times, mainly to test it, with purchases from Freshmart. I have a Direct Debit for payment and this also worked well. However when I had a Hotel Bill for about THB150,000 it was declined but I got the hotel to phone AMEX and it was cleared. I contacted AMEX on my return home and complained as I never had this before with my UK AMEX but they explained that large amounts are automatically blocked for reason of security (Fraud) and in future if I was going to spend a large amount to let them know in advance with details of the company accepting the payment and there would be no difficulties. Hope this helps.

I was told at Kasikornbank in July 2013 that I can get a credit card if I buy a "ife insurance for 200,000bath for 6 years". Fixed time deposit as mentioned on TV in other threads isn't an option anymore. Then applied for "online shopping card" which worked fine for internet purchases in online shops without "3D secure/veryfied by Visa" process. Later found out the normal Kasikorn Debit card can be activated at every ATM to be used as Credit Card for online purchases. This works fine even for shops with "3D secure/veryfied by Visa" process (the additional PIN code gets sent to your phone). As I was just looking for a card to pay hotel and flight bookings in THB without loss of currency conversion this works well for me.

• Like 2

Where folks have mentioned being required to make a deposit of say Bt100K to get a credit card line of credit for Bt100K, that nothing more than a "secured" credit card. Pretty much anyone in Thailand can get on of those as the deposit you made is locked/can't be withdrawn until you cancel the credit card/pay off the balance...and if you don't happen to pay off the balance they just use your deposit to handle that little chore. You are really just spending your own money...but as some folks have mentioned a debit card just won't be accepted by some companies for certain services/products but a credit card will be accepted.

• Like 1

Bangkok Bank offered me one linked to a fixed term deposit equal to the limit of the card. Not really "credit" but a bit more convenient for things like plane tickets and hire cars than a standard bank card.

As far as I know an actual credit line is practically impossible without either employment here or something to secure it against, as the flight risk is simply too great. I can see their point, really.

I am holding Thai-creditcards from both Citibank and KTC, each with limits between THB 200000 and 300000. The reason why this is possible is, that my wife is qualified to have creditcards from these, and that she is the guarantor for both her own and my card.

I was recently offered a Kasikorn Bank credit card. They refused to use my savings account as safety for the card, but was willing to give me a creditcard, if I would open a THB 200000 life-insurance with them.

I was told at Kasikornbank in July 2013 that I can get a credit card if I buy a "ife insurance for 200,000bath for 6 years". Fixed time deposit as mentioned on TV in other threads isn't an option anymore. Then applied for "online shopping card" which worked fine for internet purchases in online shops without "3D secure/veryfied by Visa" process. Later found out the normal Kasikorn Debit card can be activated at every ATM to be used as Credit Card for online purchases. This works fine even for shops with "3D secure/veryfied by Visa" process (the additional PIN code gets sent to your phone). As I was just looking for a card to pay hotel and flight bookings in THB without loss of currency conversion this works well for me.

Hi Mr Cronus. I had the same thread as you about 2 months ago, and had no joy. Like you all I want is a credit card for hotel and flight purchase, and maybe online purchase, and I have a Kasikorn account. Living in the sticks, no one at my bank can speak English. Can you tell me how to activate my debit card at the ATM?

...but as some folks have mentioned a debit card just won't be accepted by some companies for certain services/products but a credit card will be accepted.

I recently gave my Thai credit cards back to the bank after discovering there is very little protection here if your card is used fraudulently. Just use the debit card. Any company who insists on a credit (rather than debit) card is in the dark ages, and doesn't get business from me. Main problem is Car Rental, but I found many smaller companies happy to use Debit cards.

• Like 1

NeverSure, on 20 Sept 2013 - 10:21, said:

Will an American (or other) Visa or Mastercard or Amex work anywhere?

I use my no foreign transaction fee U.S. bank issued Visa and MasterCard credit cards and debit cards all the time in Thailand...no problems. Now, I can't really speak to AmEx or Discover cards as I don't have any of those cards anymore but even when still living in the States there were some places (usually small stores/shops) that wouldn't accept AmEx and Discover cards.

Edited by Pib

Bangkok Bank offered me one linked to a fixed term deposit equal to the limit of the card. Not really "credit" but a bit more convenient for things like plane tickets and hire cars than a standard bank card.

As far as I know an actual credit line is practically impossible without either employment here or something to secure it against, as the flight risk is simply too great. I can see their point, really.

I offered my Kasikorn bank to leave 50.000 baht locked, and give me a credit limit with the same amount. They said no, I must have a work permit. Just another case of TiT,

Bangkok bank has a new card which is a debit card. You can use it to make online purchases and normal purchases. With 3 million in the bank why would you need a credit card, unless you wanted to rent a car, but to answer your question a friend of mine has a credit card with a 50,000 baht limit. He had to give the bank a deposit of 50,000 to get it, so not really a credit card. That was also with Bangkok Bank.

This is the only way you will get a credit card. I was given the same deal & refused but if you have 3M of deposits in a fixed term account I am sure that BKB would give you a credit card with a limit under your deposit account amount.

It is not really any value. Better to run on a debit card with your overseas credit cards as a backup. I am an AUS national as well & I simply use my AUS credit cards.

P.S. You being a Pattaya farang, the bank is probably wondering how long your 3M nest egg will last once the ladys get their hands on it.

Edited by BuriramRes
  • Like 1

"Generally," unless you have a Work Permit along with enough salary you won't get an "unsecured" Thai credit card. You could be retired with multiple govt lifetime pensions coming in monthly and have very large savings that would even make a millionaire envious, but the Thai bank would still most likely only issue you a "secured" credit card if you put up the locked deposit. Note: I said "generally"...you will see people post they got a unsecured credit card without a work permit--they are the exceptions.

• Like 1

Thai rent a car lets you rent with a visa debit.. I have rented with them about 20 times. They actually pre authorise 20,000 baht as the deposit. After i rented about 2-3 times I asked that they only pre authorise 5000 baht and they didn't have an issue. Now i always rent and only get a 5000 baht pre auth. All on my Aussie debit card.

I can't trust myself with credit so only use the money i already have access to :)

I offered my Kasikorn bank to leave 50.000 baht locked, and give me a credit limit with the same amount. They said no, I must have a work permit. Just another case of TiT,

I think BBL are a bit more geared up for foreigners. I'm sure it also depends on who you speak to and in which branch. If you're in Nakhon Nowhere forget it. The Bangkok Bank in Paragon have always been quite helpful, and the Standard Chartered on Thong Lo were good.

I think BBL are a bit more geared up for foreigners. I'm sure it also depends on who you speak to and in which branch. If you're in Nakhon Nowhere forget it. The Bangkok Bank in Paragon have always been quite helpful, and the Standard Chartered on Thong Lo were good.

Thanks NBD, I'll take a note of that.

Bangkok bank has a new card which is a debit card. You can use it to make online purchases and normal purchases. With 3 million in the bank why would you need a credit card, unless you wanted to rent a car, but to answer your question a friend of mine has a credit card with a 50,000 baht limit. He had to give the bank a deposit of 50,000 to get it, so not really a credit card. That was also with Bangkok Bank.

This is the only way you will get a credit card. I was given the same deal & refused but if you have 3M of deposits in a fixed term account I am sure that BKB would give you a credit card with a limit under your deposit account amount.

It is not really any value. Better to run on a debit card with your overseas credit cards as a backup. I am an AUS national as well & I simply use my AUS credit cards.

P.S. You being a Pattaya farang, the bank is probably wondering how long your 3M nest egg will last once the ladys get their hands on it.

Let's ignore the PS for obvious reasons.

If one does not work, or have a government backed fixed income (government pension or social security services), one can not get a credit card, even if one is a non-foreigner. However, if you wish to have a credit card Bangkok Bank will give you one, provided you deposit on a "frozen account": (which you are unable to touch) an amount equivalent the limit of your credit card.

I do mention Bangkok Bank, as I know of some banks that would not issue a credit card, even on the back of a frozen account to a foreigner over the age of 60.

I really think that it is worth having a Thai credit card for Thailand, as if you use your AUS, or UK, or other Credit cards issued in other currencies, you are being charged by the issuing bank in AUS etc a surcharge of between 1.5 to 2%, in addition for not always very favourable exchange rates, so tha the transaction can be up to 5% more expensive than with a Thai credit card.

As far as the deposit on the "frozen account" (a saving account bearing interest) is concerned, surely, you can afford to deposit 100 to 200K Baht and such limit would certainly suffice for your normal requirements.