Patong Mayor Pian suspended

webfact

@ stevenl

Probably because the "pessimists" look at economic indicators and data to back up their pessimism, and an "optimist" just looks at tourist arrival figures. smile.pngsmile.png

In that case the pessimists are the accountants and the optimist are the people who build the future.

Accountants can be good voice of reason and should be listened, but they should never be let to be in charge.

@ stevenl

Probably because the "pessimists" look at economic indicators and data to back up their pessimism, and an "optimist" just looks at tourist arrival figures. smile.pngsmile.png

In that case the pessimists are the accountants and the optimist are the people who build the future.

Accountants can be good voice of reason and should be listened, but they should never be let to be in charge.

Would you invest in Greece at the moment????

Would you invest in Phuket at the moment????

Seems that there is lot's work to do, so that people on this forum does not drop to the NKM's dark side.

NKM as you have not yet selected your avatar, could I suggest this smiling one ;)

a16bacdccefc9624128d208d0d6d5dd9.jpg

Would you invest in Greece at the moment????

Would you invest in Phuket at the moment????

With my financial status, that's really not an problem that I have to think about.

But Greece has been one of the locations where I could move to. The prices are likely to be low now or in the near future. After some years or decades the prices will go up once again.

Shocking - well it will be if he's convicted and required to spend some time in Phuket Prison.

Watch how the wheels of justice turn for it's likely this will take years and once the statute of limitations has been reacted the prosecution will then declare there was little or no evidence.

Shocking - well it will be if he's convicted and required to spend some time in Phuket Prison.

Watch how the wheels of justice turn for it's likely this will take years and once the statute of limitations has been reacted the prosecution will then declare there was little or no evidence.

Never happen. He would die of old age before any final judgement was handed down.

• Like 1

"Things need to change a lot quicker if Phuket is to regain the tourism it has lost over the last 2 to 3 years."

If it is to regain the tourism it lost over the last 2 or 3 years within 1-2 years I agree with you. But these things take time, and it will take a few years for things to really change.

Also, I don't think the 'lost tourism' will come back, things never go back to the way they were. But with fundamental changes, which are slowly slowly starting to happen now, it will be on the up again in a few years. And I don't mean tourist numbers, because these are up, but I mean another change in tourist demography.

In my opinion - Too late already

I agree, and headlines such as this one serve only to show everyone what a joke the whole place has become.

How on earth can anyone have faith in a province (island) such as Phuket where a past vote-rigger has been allowed to stand again ... and win, based upon further vote-rigging.

Those who used to be regular visitors to Phuket, including myself, simply shake our heads when we read this sort of stuff day after day. And there's no way you will ever drag us back there.

Why do only pessimists call their views 'realistic' and those of optimists 'rose tinted'? Why don't optimists call their views 'realistic' and those of the pessimists 'black tinted'?

Valid point stevenl. From my point of view I have witnessed years of official corruption, years of very poor planning, ineffective law & order. I now have a view that this has all caught up with Phuket and over the last 2 or 3 years I have witnessed the flight of the western tourists and long stay expats from our Island. The power of the internet has exposed the tuk tuk/taxi scams, the jet ski scams, the crime and violence (not all by Thais), the polution at the beaches, the over development of buildings, and under developement of utilities such as public water, reliable electric grid, and functional sewage treatment.

I believe that the city fathers and central government are aware of this flight, they must feel it in their brown envelopes, and they are being forced into this show of anti-corruption, improved law & order. But I do believe it's all far too late. The damage has been done.

"LIK, I welcome you to the dark side. Together, we shall rule the Phuket Forum, forever. Well, at least until Phuket gets a baht bus system." cheesy.gif

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

"Things need to change a lot quicker if Phuket is to regain the tourism it has lost over the last 2 to 3 years."

If it is to regain the tourism it lost over the last 2 or 3 years within 1-2 years I agree with you. But these things take time, and it will take a few years for things to really change.

Also, I don't think the 'lost tourism' will come back, things never go back to the way they were. But with fundamental changes, which are slowly slowly starting to happen now, it will be on the up again in a few years. And I don't mean tourist numbers, because these are up, but I mean another change in tourist demography.

I agree, and headlines such as this one serve only to show everyone what a joke the whole place has become.

How on earth can anyone have faith in a province (island) such as Phuket where a past vote-rigger has been allowed to stand again ... and win, based upon further vote-rigging.

Those who used to be regular visitors to Phuket, including myself, simply shake our heads when we read this sort of stuff day after day. And there's no way you will ever drag us back there.

You do know, the top position in the country, no, not The King, The Prime Minister, (Army Generals aside) paid for votes, in more than one election, and gained power.

The only way they got rid of him was a military coup. Even after this, he paid again, and now he, through his sister, maintains control.

People laugh when I say it will take military intervention to fix this place up, and even then, I couldn't be sure it would.

Yes, the place has got that bad, but yet, it's just a small reflection of Thailand in general.

Seems that there is lot's work to do, so that people on this forum does not drop to the NKM's dark side.

NKM as you have not yet selected your avatar, could I suggest this smiling one wink.png

a16bacdccefc9624128d208d0d6d5dd9.jpg

I welcome all to the dark side. Pian and his son are doing "lot's of work" to bring more and more over to the dark side.

Who would ever have thought that Pattaya would become "the bright side" of Thailand. :) :)

As for avatars - I think this one would sum up my dark side quite well. :)

phuket-tuk-tuk-scam.jpg

The only way they got rid of him was a military coup. Even after this, he paid again, and now he, through his sister, maintains control.

People laugh when I say it will take military intervention to fix this place up, and even then, I couldn't be sure it would.

Yes, the place has got that bad, but yet, it's just a small reflection of Thailand in general.

Yes, I also laugh at your statement that "military invention will fix this place up".

The military have had their chance..........eighteen times to be precise.

Shows how much you know.........which is not much.

Edited by KarenBravo

Is the Maneesri clan the only viable alternative in a new election? IMO they were the ones who started all the unfettered development in Patong along with all the other controls. During their administration we had only just started work on an indoor renovation when a guy pulled up on a motorbike & shut us down at the behest of the local authorities even though he had no official insignia but it was obvious who he represented. At that time one construction company seemed to be doing nearly all the work in Patong.

Surely the situation in that area is enough indication that he is not doing his job. Whether voting fraud is an issue or not is irrelevant. People who cannot do the job in any position do not deserve to hold that position whether Govt. or private business. Election should not be a stamp of competensy !

Surely the situation in that area is enough indication that he is not doing his job. Whether voting fraud is an issue or not is irrelevant. People who cannot do the job in any position do not deserve to hold that position whether Govt. or private business. Election should not be a stamp of competensy !

Competensy, unfortunately, is not a pre-requisite for election!

You do know, the top position in the country, no, not The King, The Prime Minister, (Army Generals aside) paid for votes, in more than one election, and gained power. 

The only way they got rid of him was a military coup.  Even after this, he paid again, and now he, through his sister, maintains control.

Military intervention in 2006 was a disaster for Thailand and solved absolutely nothing. Until a true champion of democracy, campaigning on an anti corruption ticket, is elected to high office then sadly nothing will change.

Can't see it happening anytime soon either but I live in hope.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@ edwinchester

I was thinking along the lines of military intervention at the provincial level, not the national level.

Sure, Phuket tourism would take a hit - it's not a good look or advertisement for the place, but it would be better to take a hit in the short term, and install new managment, than to die a slow death, which is happening now.

Yet to be transferred to an inactive position though.

Which means he can't make decisions,

but the kick backs still flow to him.

He is elected, so there will not be any transfer to an inactive position.

This is the second time lately he has faced a major setback.

In past times he was never named in any kind of negative tone, but the times are changing.

I agree, he has been more in the spotlight lately, However, if "times are changing" - they are not changing fast enough to save this island from going broke.

Under the past, and current management, which are the same - look at the damage they have done to the tourism industry here.

Things need to change a lot quicker if Phuket is to regain the tourism it has lost over the last 2 to 3 years.

" .. . tourist demography." I presume you mean stupid new suckers from other countries, whose nouveau riche have yet to be bloodied.

Good scams never die. They just reach new customers, from different markets. This is not meant to be cynical, its just the way it goes.

• Like 1

He is elected, so there will not be any transfer to an inactive position.

This is the second time lately he has faced a major setback.

In past times he was never named in any kind of negative tone, but the times are changing.

I agree, he has been more in the spotlight lately, However, if "times are changing" - they are not changing fast enough to save this island from going broke.

Under the past, and current management, which are the same - look at the damage they have done to the tourism industry here.

Things need to change a lot quicker if Phuket is to regain the tourism it has lost over the last 2 to 3 years.

" .. . tourist demography." I presume you mean stupid new suckers from other countries, whose nouveau riche have yet to be bloodied.

Good scams never die. They just reach new customers, from different markets. This is not meant to be cynical, its just the way it goes.

No,that is not what I mean.

@ edwinchester

I was thinking along the lines of military intervention at the provincial level, not the national level.

You mean a localised coup.

Never going to happen.

The military have been bought off with an increased annual budget and the generals do very nicely with the funds that are siphoned off.

@ edwinchester

You mean a localised coup.

Never going to happen.

The military have been bought off with an increased annual budget and the generals do very nicely with the funds that are siphoned off.

Yes, I know it will never happen, but the army would be the only Government department that would have the resouces and training to go head to head with the mafia here, and as a solider, based in another part of Thailand, hw would have no financial interests or conflict of interests here, so, they should be able to do their duty. Eg. when the red shirt protesting turned to rioting, they shot and killed around 90 Thai people.