DSI presses for prosecution of firm in Thai police-station fiasco

webfact

DSI presses for prosecution of firm in police-station fiasco
The Nation

30217261-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation is still demanding criminal prosecution of the construction company involved in the scandal over police-station renovations, despite reports that the Office of the Attorney-General decided to drop the case.

DSI director-general Tarit Pengdith said yesterday that he had insisted that criminal action must be taken against PCC Development and Construction for failing to rebuild 396 police stations across the country, but it would be up to the attorney-general to indict them.

The company was well aware that its quote for the project was lowball and it could not complete the work on schedule, he said.

Witnesses had testified that the firm had bribed politicians after it secured the contract, he said.

"If [the state] does not sue the company, it might affect the case against former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban that has been already submitted to the National Anti-Corruption Commission, as there must be a link between a private company and government officials in a corruption case," he said.

PCC executives had confessed that they paid kickbacks to politicians after winning the bidding, Tarit said. There was also evidence that politicians were involved in changing the bidding procedures and specifications.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-17

The pursuit of convictions against the Dem leaders is obviously becoming worrysome for the toothless DSI......

As the case against PCC has been dropped, as announced recently, Tarit seems to be getting desperate.....

Name the people in government that recieved payoffs from PCC.....after all, PCC have made these revelations.....chase them also.....

Is this a pitiful attempt by the DSI to look effective and relevant ?

Tarit will know prosecutions like this are unlikely to be authorised but it looks good pressing for one, maybe somebody will actually believe he's doing a good job.

Where's the missing ex-monk these days ? How's the luxury car investigation progressing or are all resources engaged on the scam involving berry pickers ?

• Like 2

Is this a pitiful attempt by the DSI to look effective and relevant ?

Tarit will know prosecutions like this are unlikely to be authorised but it looks good pressing for one, maybe somebody will actually believe he's doing a good job.

Where's the missing ex-monk these days ? How's the luxury car investigation progressing or are all resources engaged on the scam involving berry pickers ?

You forgot the Red Bull Heir !

Damn, there's just so many of them but I think that one is being mishandled by the police who are showing such concern over the death of a colleague.

I think it is a great idea.

this is a case that will cover both the Dems and PTP along with the police. This is their job.

Obviously they are standing up to the government and should be given credit for that.

As for the results of the investigation if they go through with it weeeelllllllll that can be a different kettle of fish but give them credit for trying.

Throw your rocks if you don't like the results. I may join you.

The DSI is pressing the buttons, but he knows, what we already know , he's a wind bag , just like the rest of them at PTP , this little bit of bul!shi!t is to convince the public that DSI is neutral, the only neutral person at the DSI headquarters is the 85 year old blind janitor. bah.gif

Isn't the AG his boss? DSI part of Dept. of Justice.

Hmmm. New AG just into the job and some scrote challenges my decisions. Whoops, not a good career move.

Perhaps Tarit will also challenge the AG's decision not to prosecute Thaksin for terrorism. I'm sure his valued opinion will be given full consideration.

It appears to be something of a dilemma for Tart. If he goes after PCC it could open a big can of worms involving who knows who and yet if he doesn't it interferes with his relentless campaign against the Dem leaders.

I guess he'll just to have to refer this one upstairs.

Not sue I fully understand. Has the construction stopped? I know it is behind schedule and has missed deadlines

but has the building replacement program been abandoned with projects half completed?

The DSI is pressing the buttons, but he knows, what we already know , he's a wind bag , just like the rest of them at PTP , this little bit of bul!shi!t is to convince the public that DSI is neutral, the only neutral person at the DSI headquarters is the 85 year old blind janitor. bah.gif

I heard the blind janitor retired last year. Your hypothesis concerning the capabilities or integrity of the entire DSI may also be a bit "shortsighted".

• Like 1

You pay your bribes and get the job issue the invoice get payment, Job Done next contract, Pay the bribes.

Similar to back home in some cases. It not just Thailand where this happens. Perhaps It just seems that way because it's a smaller country, we are foreigners living here and some of the focus is zeroed in on anything negative. (Plenty of ammunition there).

I don't recollect reading any stories where projects were completed ahead of schedule and on or under budget. Statistically, this must have happened in Thailand in the last 25 years. If they did, I wonder if it would make the news?

Before I even opened this piece, I was wondering why the DSI were getting involved, open it an lo and behold, there it was a democratic party connection....The DSI are so predictable

True it was initiated under the Dem leadership. But the case involves the police department and the PTPredshirts.

Even though nothing wass going on they twice I believe it is paid out money for the construction. Apparently there was no inspection done on their part just a couple of brown envelopes delivered,

36_5_1.gif

• Like 1

You pay your bribes and get the job issue the invoice get payment, Job Done next contract, Pay the bribes.

Similar to back home in some cases. It not just Thailand where this happens. Perhaps It just seems that way because it's a smaller country, we are foreigners living here and some of the focus is zeroed in on anything negative. (Plenty of ammunition there).

I don't recollect reading any stories where projects were completed ahead of schedule and on or under budget. Statistically, this must have happened in Thailand in the last 25 years. If they did, I wonder if it would make the news?

The right building was completed ahead of schedule......cheesy.gif

post-188855-0-64377800-1382057366_thumb.

• Like 2