Shutdown Bangkok protest enters the third day

webfact

Shutdown Bangkok protest enters the third day

s__3104777_0-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban started the third day of the Shutdown Bangkok protest campaign to force the resignation of caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

He marched out of the main protest site at Asoke Intersection at 9.00 a.m. along the Sukhumvit road to Ekkamai, Phetburi,

Soi Thonglor and return to Asoke intersection using Sukhumvit road in a loop march.

Along the way he was cheered by crowds and received cash donations by residents.

Suthep and other core leaders of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee will have lunch on the street at Soi Thonglor before returning to Asoke intersection.

Meanwhile another large group of protesters led by the Network of Students and People for the Reform of Thailand (NSPRT) also marched to the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation to persuade civil servants to stop work.

Protest leaders also were seeking explanation from the department head over a report that it was mobilizing some of its 2,000-strong park officials from national parks and forest reserves to counter the protesters.

Park officials are enforcement officials who are authorized to carry arms.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/shutdown-bangkok-protest-enters-third-day/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-15

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Suthep warmly welcomed as he marches on Sukhumvit Rd
By Digital Content

13897695648921.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 15 – Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban was welcome by cheering crowds along Sukhumvit Road today as he walked along the streets to urge people to join the Bangkok shutdown.

The 10.6-km march started from Asoke rally site along Sukhumvit Road to Ekamai, Phetchburi and Soi Thonglor.

He said people’s intensified movement will accelerate the removal of the caretaker government and victory is looming.

Mr Suthep said he believed the government was behind last night’s attacks on protesters at Hua Chang Bridge near Pathumwan rally site and bombing at the Sukhumvit residence of Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

“People do not waver as they have overcome fear. A people’s reform assembly will materialise in the next few days,” he assured.

Meanwhile, caretaker Education Minister Chaturon Chaisaeng was chased out by a group of protesters who blew their whistles at him as he was inspecting schools in Yannawa vicinity this morning.

The protesters entered a school in Sathupradit for a roaring encounter with Mr Chaturon who immediately walked into his car and left the scene.

Issara Somchai, a core leader of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee in charge of the Lat Phrao rally site, went on stage this morning to urge protesters to move to the nearby Department of National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation to seal it off and request officials to call off their work.

A group of protesters later headed for the department for the closure mission.

Another group of PDRC protesters, led by Ravee Masmadol, went from the Energy Ministry on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road to the Huay Kwang residence of caretaker Energy MInister Pongsak Raktapongpaisarn to strengthen their pressure against the Cabinet.

They carried with them a coffin attached with Mr Pongsak's name and blew whistles on their arrival. They were to submit a letter to him, demanding the caretaker government's resignation and a suspended increase in cooking gas price.

A representative received the letter on behalf of Mr Pongsak who was not at home. Dr Ravee said the group will move back to the Energy Ministry. (MCOT online news)

xtnalogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.RVjOeGV-Kz.web
-- TNA 2014-01-15

Here are classic examples of what we have been talking about all day. The crowds have gone.... and the media are doing there bit by cropping the pics to make them look full.

Where are the drone shots? Why is twitter awash with photo of empty streets and deserted stage areas? why are ALL media reports from creditable media talking of "HUNDEREDS" of protesters in some of their pics? Where are the millions?

Getting dirty now is this war and the media who have sucked up to Suthep are going to come out with egg on their faces.

Stop supporting this madman and go for some real reform. Reform that would see these crazies behind bars as well.

'empty streets'? well cars cannot go through. 'deserted stages'? provide links

Hundreds of protesters? more likely thousands and times staging areas.

All this input from you seems to suggest that the anti-anti-government group is getting really desperate. Now suggestions, half-truths and insinuations. Next white lies, real lies and personal attacks.

At least I don't hear any shooting, that's nice.

• Like 2

POLITICS
Victory is looming : Suthep

BANGKOK: -- Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban was welcomed by cheering crowds along Sukhumvit Road on Wednesday as he walked along the streets to urge people to join the Bangkok shutdown.

The 10.6-km march started from Asoke rally site along Sukhumvit Road to Ekamai, Phetchburi and Soi Thonglor.

He said people's intensified movement will accelerate the removal of the caretaker government and victory is looming.

Suthep said he believed the government was behind last night's attacks on protesters at Hua Chang Bridge near Pathumwan rally site and bombing at the residence of Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

"People do not waver as they have overcome fear. A people's reform assembly will materialise in the next few days," he assured.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-15

Here are classic examples of what we have been talking about all day. The crowds have gone.... and the media are doing there bit by cropping the pics to make them look full.

Where are the drone shots? Why is twitter awash with photo of empty streets and deserted stage areas? why are ALL media reports from creditable media talking of "HUNDEREDS" of protesters in some of their pics? Where are the millions?

Getting dirty now is this war and the media who have sucked up to Suthep are going to come out with egg on their faces.

Stop supporting this madman and go for some real reform. Reform that would see these crazies behind bars as well.

All this input from you seems to suggest that the anti-anti-government group is getting really desperate. Now suggestions, half-truths and insinuations. Next white lies, real lies and personal attacks.

You should get out of TV and Bluesky more often. thousands of pics on Twitter. Firm evidence to all but those who don't want to see it. The march today wasn't much more than 50m long. At most 2,000 people. So maybe best ou don't look.!!!

• Like 1

I hope things stay quiet,

and the number of people stay low,

then just maybe the steam will fall down,

and the people will finally go home.

I have no issues with them protesting,

but why can't they do it to the limited areas of the government building?

Why do they have to take over the streets,

and put themselves in the middle of the streets?

Sleep on the streets?

We all realize this isn't our country, so no need to come at me with that angle...

but it's still fascinates me, on how the protestors demand to be heard,

and will stop everything if given the chance,

so heard they are.

It doesn't seem like they are asking for respect,

but more like they are demanding it.

All the while destroying all the daily operations that are in place,

and need to be in place, just to allow a normal day to function properly.

In Asoke a minute ago. Crowd size will undoubtedly grow as offices close and the weather cools down.

Shame but no matter how one tries to spin it, it's not really a mass uprising of the discontented and disenchanted masses. The man / woman on the street just don't have the stomach or commitment to see it all the way through.

post-143305-0-31547300-1389777554_thumb.

You should get out of TV and Bluesky more often. thousands of pics on Twitter. Firm evidence to all but those who don't want to see it. The march today wasn't much more than 50m long. At most 2,000 people. So maybe best ou don't look.!!!

Looking out of the window I don't see much traffic on RamaIII. This morning also a new record in getting here. 'shutdown bangkok' seems to work. Edited by rubl

Gweiloman

Thanks for the photos shots.

I hope more can follow,

as I for one am not interested in becoming a twitter follower,

or joining Facebook, just to see what is really going on up there.

Since this is now effecting my shipment supplies to support my business,

I am interested in how big the crowds really are.

All of our suppliers have stated they can't ship materials out of Bangkok at the moment,

and they don't know when that will change?

Looking out of the window I don't see much traffic on RamaIII. This morning also a new record in getting here. 'shutdown bangkok' seems to work.

Rubl, I think you may have mistaken the meaning of "shutdown bangkok". Bangkok is not shut down, far from it. People are going about their normal daily lives, pretty much the same as before.

On the positive side, traffic flow is noticeably smoother, less cars on the road. What a bonus!

• Like 1

Its running out of steam even quicker than I guessed it would. Life goes on and Suthep is left to announce yet another "Final Push" or invent kidnapping stories to extend his moment of fame. Time for the Dems to disown this clown and put forward a young, untainted politician to take things forward (not that English fella that was Prime Minister before).

A posponed election is easily bargained and it should be after the 180 days from the Amnesty Bill to avoid any doubt. I actually think they could even get Yingluck to stand down as part of the negotiations as well but that remains to be seen.

Then in 6 months time we have a new election and a fresh start and Thailands democracy is saved. If the Dem candidate was any way smart he could leverage the discontent amongst rice farmer and actually make inroads into the ruling parties lead.

One things for certain this isnt going anywhere now and its time for anti government forces to think a bit smarter and set their heart on achievable goals that benefit the people.

• Like 1

I suggest you get your act together.

This shutdown is not about making things look huge, it is about shutting down BKK and it has been 100% successful so far and is increasing.

Many are at work during the day and join the rally in the evenings, and many are getting clean, eating and don't forget the numbers are fragmented across about 20 different areas at once.

Of course there are going to be pictures showing empty spaces, that is what the photo is all about.... emptiness and the effectiveness of the shutdown.

Like it or not, get used to it, these rallies and strategic dispursmnets across simultanious sites will bring the government down. Which is its only objective. We have seen the PDRC support from previous weeks.

It is not the protesters who are obsessed with numbers, it is the red shirted farang with overly simplistic thought processes.

We will be coming there from the northeast at the weekend when we have the time to do it. We are the same as most of the public, we have things to do Monday to Friday. As long as there are enough there to keep the thing going and intensify everything on a daily basis, we are happy.

Edited by poisonus
  • Like 1

Are those the millions of sheep following him that I can see in the picture bet a million bucks he goes home to his nice warm bed while all the fools who have followed him are stuck in makeshift tents what a pity it's not the rainy season

• Like 2

I suggest you get your act together.

This shutdown is not about making things look huge, it is about shutting down BKK and it has been 100% successful so far and is increasing.

Many are at work during the day and join the rally in the evenings, and many are getting clean, eating and don't forget the numbers are fragmented across about 20 different areas at once.

Of course there are going to be pictures showing empty spaces, that is what the photo is all about.... emptiness and the effectiveness of the shutdown.

Like it or not, get used to it, these rallies and strategic dispursmnets across simultanious sites will bring the government down. Which is its only objective. We have seen the PDRC support from previous weeks.

It is not the protesters who are obsessed with numbers, it is the red shirted farang with overly simplistic thought processes.

it is about shutting down BKK and it has been 100% successful so far and is increasing.

Many are at work during the day

How the hell is the city shut down if everyone goes to work as normal? Changing commuting patterns does not bring down governments <deleted>

Since when did I point out that changing commuting patterns brings down governments??

See what I mean about simplistic thought processes... Lol this is a great example.

Shutting down ministries and strategic sites brings governments down.... Wait till they shut down air traffic control then come back and talk to me..... <deleted>

The government are now running around like headless chickens not knowing what the hell to do next. That tells me that the shutdown is working well.

CAPO said it is due to finish tonight (3 days)... we will see about that.

Since when did I point out that changing commuting patterns brings down governments??

See what I mean about simplistic thought processes... Lol this is a great example.

Shutting down ministries and strategic sites brings governments down.... Wait till they shut down air traffic control then come back and talk to me..... <deleted>

The government are now running around like headless chickens not knowing what the hell to do next. That tells me that the shutdown is working well.

CAPO said it is due to finish tonight (3 days)... we will see about that.

You said the city was shut down then said all the protesters are at work facepalm.gif

The fact is most of the civil servants work on as normal (Unless you and Suthep think they work out of a som tam cart at asoke) with only marginal disruption in Bangkok whilst other cities are unaffected.

Sutheps paymasters arn`t stupid enough to shut down air traffic control. (in a way I wished they were to draw people away from them.)

Read my point above. Time for the Dems to play smarter and move away from this sillyness that is doomed to failure. 2 months theyve been at it and operation fizzle out is in its death throes, having achieved sweet FA.

Edited by tullynagardy

it is about shutting down BKK and it has been 100% successful so far and is increasing.

Many are at work during the day

How the hell is the city shut down if everyone goes to work as normal? Changing commuting patterns does not bring down governments <deleted>

You've just countered your own point.

''It is about shutting down BKK and it has been 100% successful so far and is increasing.''

Then your next line... ''Many are at work during the day''

Erm, err, aah,..!!!

To the casual observer it would be very difficult to promote any other opinion than the shutdown is losing physical support and rather than volume of people disrupting traffic, removing road blocks would have Bangkok running free, but no rush to confront the manned blockades

Protest well handled by the Government, RTP, RTA

• Like 1

The MCOT article reported that a procession of PDRC protesters carrying a coffin bearing the name of the Energy Minister of Thailand's presented themselves at the Energy Ministry and then paraded onwards to the Energy Minister's residence to deliver a letter to him.

Suthep's PDRC has already established its own security force and now appears to be offering courier services.