Phuket rental shops send passport pictures to Bangkok via smartphone application

Lite Beer

Phuket rental shops send passport pictures to Bangkok via smartphone application
Phuket Gazette -

1_20144121079734_MppTaPUrWVJOaOsLsOvTWqm
Maj Gen Apichat Suriboonya, head of the Interpol Bangkok Liaison Office, is working to prevent the use of stolen and fake passports. Photo: Interpol Bangkok

PHUKET: Nearly one-third of rental shops in Patong have started to send photos of renters’ faces and passports to the Interpol branch in Bangkok via the messaging application Line in an effort to identify stolen passports and protect against passport theft on the island.

The push for tighter security follows the news that two passports stolen in Phuket had been used to board missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 one month ago

“Royal Thai Police Commander Adul Saengsingkaew has ordered police to check for fake passports being used on the island, especially those used to rent vehicles,” Maj Gen Apichat Suriboonya, head of the National Central Bureau – Interpol Bangkok office, told the Phuket Gazette.

In response, 23 out of 80 rental operators in Patong have joined the Line messaging group through which they send pictures of renters and their passports to officers in Bangkok.

“Getting this information allows us to check for the use of fake and missing passports, and could eventually lead us to an organized crime network,” Gen Apichat explained.

“Asking operators to photograph renters also should help ensure that passports are returned to the correct person, and having the information in our database means we can use it later in the event of a problem.”

Gen Apichat, along with many other officers, said police are powerless in preventing rental operators from continuing to hold tourists’ passports as collateral .

“To my knowledge, there is no law in Thailand prohibiting foreigners from handing over their passports to another person as per their own agreement. We can only launch a campaign to raise awareness among rental operators against keeping the documents as collateral,” he said.

“Although we do not support holding customers’ passports [as collateral], we have to understand that operators take a risk when they rent out their property to strangers.

“Operators, aside from sending photos to Bangkok, need to make sure that information on the rental contracts is thoroughly filled out, including the renter’s name, nationality and address in Phuket. They should also call the hotels to make sure the customer is staying there.”

Patong Police Deputy Superintendent Khunnadet Nanongkhai told the Gazette that police are trying various approaches to solve the passport problem.

Another part of the solution is providing Patong Police with Case Management and Intelligence System (CMIS) software, said Gen Apichat. Phuket already has two locations with the software: one at Phuket International Airport and the other in Phuket Town.

“This software contains information about every wanted criminal in the Interpol database throughout Interpol’s 190 member countries. It can search passports in the system by name, telephone number or any relevant information about the person. It can also match the face to the name,” Gen Apichat explained.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-rental-shops-send-passport-pictures-Bangkok/29125#ad-image-2

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-12

To my knowledge, there is no law in Thailand prohibiting foreigners from handing over their passports to another person as per their own agreement. We can only launch a campaign to raise awareness among rental operators against keeping the documents as collateral, he said.

As a foreigner stayng in Thailand on any visa you may at all times carry your passport...so that means that you are not allowed to handle it over to another person....as Thailands own law says so.You can give them a copy - thats all.

Excellent point. Thai law states clearly that foreigners must carry passport for inspection. And a passport is usually the property of the issuing country. This officer is clearly speaking out of both sides of his mouth, wants to appease every side.

• Like 2

Copy of the driving licence for the bike or car they are renting shoukd also be there , and fine the rental shops that rent out vehicles to persons that are not qualified to drive em

Also all rental cars and bikes must have #1 INSURANCE .

“To my knowledge, there is no law in Thailand prohibiting foreigners from handing over their passports to another person as per their own agreement. We can only launch a campaign to raise awareness among rental operators against keeping the documents as collateral,” he said.

As a foreigner stayng in Thailand on any visa you may at all times carry your passport...so that means that you are not allowed to handle it over to another person....as Thailands own law says so.You can give them a copy - thats all.

I believe there is one that foreigners must carry their passports whilst in LOS, so to me, handing over your passport to a stranger means you are not carrying your passport. Seems breaking the law...........whistling.gif

"...so that means that you are not allowed to handle it over to another person....as Thailands own law says so."

One of the points of the report is that there is not a law in Thailand prohibiting the handing over of a passport to a 3rd party.

"...so that means that you are not allowed to handle it over to another person....as Thailands own law says so."

One of the points of the report is that there is not a law in Thailand prohibiting the handing over of a passport to a 3rd party.

They don't need a law because they already say you must carry your passport....................rolleyes.gif

If there isnt a law....then what the accepted way to a tourist to ID himself?

Passport with valid visa should be the only way, since tourist in general wont carry any sort of thai ID, like a thai driving license.

I never leave my passport with anyone let alone a bike shop.Its probably just stuffed in a draw with a few others.You know we all look the same to a Thai.

Its too much hassle and agro to get a new one and new visas.

If they want to rent out bikes they should get proper insurance and take a deposit.

Just another official spouting crap and covering his arse

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the procedure adopted by the motorbike rental shops when they rent to a Thai?

Obviously, they would have to show their Thai ID Card, but is it retained by the shop? Isn't it the case the Thai's must carry their ID Card at all times?

Even if the shop kept their ID Card, they are cheap to replace, so it's hardly, "collateral."

• Like 1

I don't mind a rental shop having a photo or photocopy of my passport, but I'd never let them keep it and I'd never let them take it out of my sight.

Leaving a passport when renting a vehicle is just plain stupid, if the rental shop insists I will just go elsewhere,

• Like 2

To my knowledge, there is no law in Thailand prohibiting foreigners from handing over their passports to another person as per their own agreement. We can only launch a campaign to raise awareness among rental operators against keeping the documents as collateral, he said.

Excellent point. Thai law states clearly that foreigners must carry passport for inspection. And a passport is usually the property of the issuing country. This officer is clearly speaking out of both sides of his mouth, wants to appease every side.

Not really.

1. Foreigner must carry passport.

2. No law against rental company holding passport.

Both are true.

3. No law against flushing the passport down the toilet.

If foreigner chooses 2 or 3 then compliance with 1 would be a problem for him.

No problem for rental company or toilet.

Well no legal problem anyway.

Blockage, sure.

You're missing the point,, by leaving your passport with the rental shop you are breaking the law by not having your passport with you. So there doesn't need to be a law against them keeping it, it is common sense that they can't.

The article only looks to the rental shop , are they breaking the law ? ,if the renter is in violation is totally not important

Send with Commodore 64 using Thaivisa Connect Mobile App

Rental operators should call the hotel to ensure the person is staying there?

No no no no no, that is not right. Any reputable hotel group will not release that info to someone (who could be 'anyone') over the phone. A police commander and he doesn't know this? Since when is a hotel's guest-list public information?

Rental operators should call the hotel to ensure the person is staying there?

No no no no no, that is not right. Any reputable hotel group will not release that info to someone (who could be 'anyone') over the phone. A police commander and he doesn't know this? Since when is a hotel's guest-list public information?

There appear to be several very basic things that this particular police "commander does not understand or does not want to bother to understand. Once again he brings his own police force into disrepute and ridicule. Talking out of his a**e.

Phuket needs a completely new police force, not endlessly shuffling the same cretins around. Try the Hong Kong model maybe...