THAI reports a consolidated net loss of 9,117 mil Baht for the first nine months of 2014

webfact

Actually THAI seems not very interested to sell tickets. The hotline waiting time is usually at least 20 minutes. Some trips are not bookable on their website, and also reservation changes need to be done with hotline support. At least one time I selected another airline because I could not get through on their hotline. I like to fly THAI, but the call center is awful.

9,117 million baht

2,864 million baht

1,097 million baht

1,086 million baht

6,182 million baht

Is there something wrong with using the word "billion" ?

They don't like decimals?

There are (or rather were) 2 definitions for 'billion' so best to avoid confusion where money is involved I think. I agree that these days it is defined to be 10^9

There are 2 definitions of billion. The european 1000000000000 and The English 1000000000 known as Milliard in many European countries.

Having just traveled Thai Air from Hong Kong -Bangkok return all I can say is" Never again will I use this airline."

The plane was well past it's sell by date, seats incredibly uncomfortable with leg room for a midget, and the inflight "meal" was a cardboard box of luke warm mess.

Never again!

Yes they have gone even longer downhill than before. I recently flew to Vietnam and return with TG and only got the same lousy food as on their domestic routes. Air fare around 9000 B. Beer is only served if specifically asked for.

On airasia I get a decent hot meal for 120 B. Not free but certainly better than TG.

From now on TG will be last choice on regional routes. They are usually more expensive anyway.

mate...you were on a bus with wings...stop complaining....if you can get a cheaper bus go for it. or bring your own sandwiches and beer if you need it.
Sure if the fare also went down when they lowered service it would be OK .

But TG charge 8000 to 10000 b for a 90 minutes return flight to Vietnam. At a fare like that you should expect more than lousy service.

9,117 million baht

2,864 million baht

1,097 million baht

1,086 million baht

6,182 million baht

Yes, there actually is. Brits say a billion is 1x million million. Yanks say it is 1x thousand million. So if you see a billion in an English or American publication, as long as you realize the difference you probably know the figure. In a Thai publication, which one is it? So a thousand million means exactly what it says, no guessing games required!

At this point Thai Airways is not viable. People are staying away in droves because of the high fares. Case in point I am going to Europe on the 26th of November I checked out Thai and they are 40% more . So I ask myself 40% more for what ? So I can travel on the Flag carrying Airliner . For 40% Not a chance I am flying Lufthansa and the service is the same with them but 40 % less. They are not the cheapest Aeroflot is much cheaper. There is a price point I will go to for service but not 40%

Hey Thai learn from the travelers not the board of directors they are not your customers

So this is your answer to why Thai airways is loosing big money. Not just me of course but their pricing.

Thai will not survive in its present form. This is the era of low cost airlines.

Hehhehh ii's just as always: look for the ones who are responsible for the losses but never ever look into your own strucutre and company to realize that this are problems of THAI AIRWAYS and nothing else!!!!!!!!!!111

Just traveled yesterday by Thai Airlines, Taipei -> Bangkok.

*Sound for entertainment system cut out every few seconds making the system useless.

*For the first time ever in my 40+

years of flying, was caught in a human traffic jam in the windowless non-air conditioned jetway upon arrival in Bangkok for 15-20 minutes, while we waited for late shuttle buses. Thought some of the passengers would pass out from the claustrophobic conditions in the 40+ degree heat.

*During the international flight, no embarkation immigration cards were distributed, resulting in long delays at immigration while passengers scrambled to find cards and fill them out while queuing up.

All of these unacceptable lapses in service remind me to favor the competition on future journeys.

THAI can talk all they want about tourist numbers down; but we who have recently flown with them know the real story for their losses.

The "I don't care" employee mindset will kill ANY business.

Even if these are AOT staff, THAI AIR is obligated to exercise some kind of quality control over them because it involves THAI customers and a THAI flight, and is still a step in THAI's complete process.

Another nail in THAI's coffin...

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/11/17/watch-your-luggage-kicked-thrown-and-generally-abused-suvarnabhumi-video

Edited by Fookhaht

9,117 million baht

2,864 million baht

1,097 million baht

1,086 million baht

6,182 million baht

They don't like decimals?

There are (or rather were) 2 definitions for 'billion' so best to avoid confusion where money is involved I think. I agree that these days it is defined to be 10^9

There are 2 definitions of billion. The european 1000000000000 and The English 1000000000 known as Milliard in many European countries.
You think someone is going to count all your frickin' comma-less zeroes to ascertain your point? (Roll-the-eyes emoticon) Edited by Fookhaht

We are flying to Australia , and Thai came in the cheapest .For 2 of us we got a return ticket for 52000 baht. This was cheaper than Jet star and Qantas. With Jet star you have to think about all the extra's they put on .Qantas only flies to Sydney then you have to get a domestic flight to Melbourne

A very one off price, Do you or wifey work for Thai. I think you are one of two posters that are happy---fine stick with them.

Make that 3. Me and the missus just flew to Brisbane return. Bt56000 all up. Was the only direct flight available and was cheaper than all the other airlines. Plane half empty so plenty of room to stretch the legs. Good friendly service with reasonably good food and plenty of refreshments. Will stick with them.

HERE IS YOUR ANSWER having said all that-------plane half empty.??? if it was cheap and good service, why has it a problem filling the aircraft ???

Why problem with filling the plane? It must be the other side of the deficit coin: just not large enough passenger market on this route generally. The other carriers have made the correct commercial decision and don't fly this direct route anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Gulf Air have discontinued a bunch of flights to Thailand from Bahrain - supposedly for the 'winter low season'. These are flights that have been running year in year out daily for at least 10 years. The seats were mostly occupied by German, French or Turkish tourists making the onward connection from Europe. So it's not surprising that Thai Airways is struggling. It would appear that Thailand has lost its lustre a bit, and given Thai Air's prices....

Makes me chuckle, Thai airways has for over a decade been way overpriced and flying out of date stock, the food is appalling for a national Thai airline. And some people still use it facepalm.gif

If you fly Thai your basically being scammed and cheated in both quality and price.

Effectively your paying top class rates for a very sub class product, all very Thai

I guess theres a mug born every minute.

• 1 month later...

To fly Thai is to demonstrate your Thainess. Expensive personal PR. It also is a government-enforced mandate for many.

I recently took a trip abroad with government school administrators and we flew Thai Airlines despite the fact that it was priced three times over its competitor for the same route.

It was then that I found out any government-funded trips require the use of Thai Airlines.

Apparently this captive audience is not enough to keep this over-bloated corporation afloat.

A seriously obese ACM (Air Chief Marshal) said publicly some 20+ years ago "Thai sucks" and guess what = he is still right!

Flew with them last month to Australia and he is still right "Thai sucks"

I give Thai always a chance online.
One adult with kid (over 10 yo)
defined departure date and return journey date
BKK - Europe BKK with shuttle flight to a smaller City.
Traveltime 13- 15 hours, no 30 hours up traveltime for a cheap ticket.
Thai: 90.000 Baht
Lufthansa get the job for 60.000 Baht.

Edited by tomacht8

"He attributed the loss for the past nine months to the tourism industry which is still not returning normal."

The tourism industry eh?

Is there any other area to lay blame for such losses? Management? or Ms Management.

Nope, only the Junta is to be blamed !