Jomtien Beach

pegman

Probably government intervention along the lines of what has been happening in Phuket recently.

About time.

If there is one thing that really irritates me about Thailand it is the cartels and monopolies. They are everywhere.

So where do you get a deck chair or sunbed to lounge on ? What a killjoy!

• Like 1

keep us informed. is it permanent shutdown or transient closure

No one knows, the army ordered the closure for beach cleaning every Wednesday. About 10 years ago the City tried this but reversed itself after several weeks because of the outcry from people with lost income. Remember this closure not only affects the beach concessionaires but anybody associated with making a living from the beach, the food carts, vendors, the blue shirted people doing massage, etc. All have had their income effectively reduced 14%.

The military stepped in, following Phuket exemple.. The operators don't have licenses to rent out anything

Nope, everything will be back to normal today again, see post #4.

And the operators not having licenses, would be interesting to hear where you got that from.

Here's the article in Pattaya Mail, about beach chair free Wednesdays.

• Like 1

In my view, closing the beach to chairs, umbrellas, is a bad idea and effectively mandating and reducing people's income by 14% during high season is simply unfair. Here are some pics showing the empty parking lot, families with children playing in the water and the trash in the public areas. Pics taken just before noon.

post-9935-0-92789300-1421286046_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-20169000-1421286116_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-84319000-1421286243_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-30400600-1421286317_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-46467800-1421286345_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-43583900-1421286373_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-65476400-1421286730_thumb.jp

Edited by ThaiBob
  • Like 2

About half the umbrellas are gone, not all of them. My gawd, can actually see the water (not sure if that is a good thing. Might tempt a person to go in). The open spaces are well populated, whilst umbrellas not so much. Hope they keep it up, but not betting on it. 50-50 seems fair split between open space and those who want to sit on arse and drink in shade.

• Like 2

About half the umbrellas are gone, not all of them. My gawd, can actually see the water (not sure if that is a good thing. Might tempt a person to go in). The open spaces are well populated, whilst umbrellas not so much... .

It is now Thursday and the beach is open for business again. On Wednesday only there are no chairs or umbrellas.

So where do you get a deck chair or sunbed to lounge on ? What a killjoy!

Take your own? I would.

It's not the presence of a couple of umbrella vendors that bothers me: it's the way they cover the entire beach and practice cartel pricing. And, lately, the way they want to beat the sh*t out of you if you don't care to subscribe to their service.

I remember 20+ years ago I used to go to Jomtien beach every day for a cup of coffee after lunch. I used to sit and drink my coffee in the shade of an umbrella and have a nap for an hour and only pay for the coffee. And the vendor was glad to have me there.

These days I just go home after lunch and make my own coffee.

It sucks being poor. It's worth 30 baht if you enjoy your time there, doesn't have to be a whole day.

Will the public toilets on the "boys" section of the beach also be closed on Wednesdays?

Why do you ask.... looking for some action?

No probably wanting to know in case he wanted a pee. not everyone goes into the sea to have a p#Ss.

• Like 1

Will the public toilets on the "boys" section of the beach also be closed on Wednesdays?

Typical TV stupid response...Grow up!

You asked a question and unnecessarily framed it with "boys section" as it is irrelevant since there are many public toilets (and private too) along the beach. The proper question would be are the public toilets open on Wednesdays? The answer would be yes and by the way public toilets charge the same as private ones. Edited by ThaiBob

I'm not in control of the beach. If there are chairs and umbrellas available, I use them. If not, I don't. My lament concerning tthe status quo is insignificant and is of no consequence in the greater cosmos of those who know more than myself.

TDOSI, ( Thai Dept. Of Stupid Ideas ), did this at Phuket. Pattaya and now, your beach as they said beach lovers wanted more sand space of their own. I know of not one person asked that they remove vendors/umbrellas/chairs. Jim Carrey will stat in film about this.

• Like 1

I hate those ugly chairs, they are an eyesore. I know many people who think the same so your TDOSI probably wasn't involved in this one.

Yesterday Pattaya beach looked like a real beach for the very first time.

• Like 2

No probably wanting to know in case he wanted a pee. not everyone goes into the sea to have a p#Ss.

May as well. It all ends up there anyway, including the brown mullets.