Red shirts on a Sunday?

bangkok blue

As proposed by ex-cabinet members and subsequently batted out by Mr. Prayut.

Yet, with our choice of beautiful city to spend our days in; Chiangmai is a red shirt strong hold.

Is anyone else afraid of a bigger more tighter grip from the military on the community here, should this happen?

Been in Thailand nearly 15 years, mostly Bangkok, never felt in danger or uncomfortable even when the tanks were on the streets as it was restricted to a very small area of the city which was easy to avoid.

Don't really feel any different under this Juntas control however the recent crackdown on free speech (See Pim's City Life, editorial, January) and the serving of alcohol being restricted to certain hours in restaurants and bars are just two examples of officialdom being totally over the top.The ban on having a quiet drink between the hours of 2pm and 5pm is going to cause a huge amount of unemployment among Thai staff many who are struggling to stay ahead even in good times .I'm surprised that there has not been a reaction from owners on this forum

Its not for most of us a matter of being afraid its a matter of common sense,fairness and freedom of choice. Pretty basic life requirements and this country has the amazing ability to keep shooting itself in the foot.

The few bar owning friends I chat with are still suffering with early closures..

Seems trivial as a consumer, but they are very unhappy.. I guess also using it to blame a poor low season on the rules..

Bar owners in bad locations or doing nothing particularly different to the other bars around them often find excuses as to why they're struggling. The high season this year has been a good one.

As regards to the topic, maybe I misunderstood, but has there been an anti-coup proposal to wear red on Sunday? If so, how could they police that one if it were to happen, especially if Liverpool are playing on that day?

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 2

As I'm not at all involved with politics so to avoid any misunderstanding I got rid of red polos and t-shirts

One would not wear certain colors in LA or SF either, one can be mistaken for a gang member and killed

Now I received as a gift Chelsea 2014 away kit in bright yellow. Imagine that would be safe to wear, in Chiang Mai??

(Unless I encounter off-balance Arsenal or Spurs supporters. Personally I could not care less, think sport rivalry to be ridiculous)

As I'm not at all involved with politics so to avoid any misunderstanding I got rid of red polos and t-shirts

One would not wear certain colors in LA or SF either, one can be mistaken for a gang member and killed

Now I received as a gift Chelsea 2014 away kit in bright yellow. Imagine that would be safe to wear, in Chiang Mai??

(Unless I encounter off-balance Arsenal or Spurs supporters. Personally I could not care less, think sport rivalry to be ridiculous)

Be afraid, be very afraid.

post-51-0-16379400-1422607134_thumb.jpg

Is any one other than crooks afraid of the current situation?

Personally I feel safer when I stop to think about it which is not often as it is pretty unobtrusive and the things it has intruded into were nothing but idiots looking for attention.

I just tend to feel uncomfortable under military rule that seems to be escalating their powers. And find it a little strange that people, particularly foreigners from westernised countries,find this acceptable.

And for your info, I am not a crook.

Then you have nothing to fear. If you were hear under the Thaksin clamp down on the press did you feel the same way as now?

• Like 1

Been in Thailand nearly 15 years, mostly Bangkok, never felt in danger or uncomfortable even when the tanks were on the streets as it was restricted to a very small area of the city which was easy to avoid.

Don't really feel any different under this Juntas control however the recent crackdown on free speech (See Pim's City Life, editorial, January) and the serving of alcohol being restricted to certain hours in restaurants and bars are just two examples of officialdom being totally over the top.The ban on having a quiet drink between the hours of 2pm and 5pm is going to cause a huge amount of unemployment among Thai staff many who are struggling to stay ahead even in good times .I'm surprised that there has not been a reaction from owners on this forum

Its not for most of us a matter of being afraid its a matter of common sense,fairness and freedom of choice. Pretty basic life requirements and this country has the amazing ability to keep shooting itself in the foot.

so you are against them for upholding the law?

Ever think about taking your opinions out on the people who created the laws and all the people who came after them and used them as a means of corruption?

• Like 1

Getting back to the question in the original post: No I'm not particularly worried in the short term. The following:

• While Chiang Mai province and the North in general can be considered a 'red' stronghold, that does not apply to urban areas pretty much anywhere in Thailand. Including Chiang Mai.
  • Reds seem to continue lying low and wait this one out. Given enough rope, the junta will hang itself eventually. To the point that common sense might break out among urban educated folks, coming to the realization that dictatorship isn't really what they wanted after all. (even if they supported the coup, and may continue to believe it was necessary).

In other words, the strongest opposition to the current rulers -when it eventually happens- may not come from traditional red leaning people. (Though they could certainly join in; opportunism is rampant on all sides.

So you are suggesting that these people did not want laws obeyed and new ones brought in to help Thailand. They would be just as happy with the Shinawatra dynasty still in power.

Might I suggest instead of people projecting fears they look at the positive sides. For instance Thailand will never change if every Tom Dick and Harry can put on a rally to oppose every thing the people in power do. There has to be a time when people arte not continually plagued with self serving propaganda. I realize some people think there is some place in the world with freedom of speech but sorry to burst your bubble their ain't.

Personally I feel safer when I stop to think about it which is not often as it is pretty unobtrusive and the things it has intruded into were nothing but idiots looking for attention.

I just tend to feel uncomfortable under military rule that seems to be escalating their powers. And find it a little strange that people, particularly foreigners from westernised countries,find this acceptable.

I find it equally strange that you would be in favor of Thailand, or any country, being ruled by a convicted criminal who is in exile, on the run, with an illegally issued passport. Have a nice day.

Third coup for me, this one and those in charge are looking the most dangerous by a long way. Be careful for what you wish for with your support of those in uniform. I will have a nice day I really don't care what you do.

• Like 1

Then you have nothing to fear. If you were hear under the Thaksin clamp down on the press did you feel the same way as now?

Take your blinkers off!

• Like 2

I find it equally strange that you would be in favor of Thailand, or any country, being ruled by a convicted criminal who is in exile, on the run, with an illegally issued passport. Have a nice day.

Third coup for me, this one and those in charge are looking the most dangerous by a long way. Be careful for what you wish for with your support of those in uniform. I will have a nice day I really don't care what you do.

I was just trying to be civil, not only do I not care if you have a nice day, I'm totally relieved that you aren't still espousing your half baked argument that the rice scheme went very well because it lost money, like government programs are "supposed to". One of the stupidest theories I have ever heard.

• Like 1

Getting back to the question in the original post: No I'm not particularly worried in the short term. The following:

• While Chiang Mai province and the North in general can be considered a 'red' stronghold, that does not apply to urban areas pretty much anywhere in Thailand. Including Chiang Mai.
  • Reds seem to continue lying low and wait this one out. Given enough rope, the junta will hang itself eventually. To the point that common sense might break out among urban educated folks, coming to the realization that dictatorship isn't really what they wanted after all. (even if they supported the coup, and may continue to believe it was necessary).

In other words, the strongest opposition to the current rulers -when it eventually happens- may not come from traditional red leaning people. (Though they could certainly join in; opportunism is rampant on all sides.

So you are suggesting that these people did not want laws obeyed and new ones brought in to help Thailand. They would be just as happy with the Shinawatra dynasty still in power.

?

I'm quite impressed with what you can read in my post. ;)

EDIT: (Or if you hit reply on the wrong post then I apologize.)

Take your blinkers off!

Mine are off that is why unlike you I do not have to be evasive.

?

I'm quite impressed with what you can read in my post. wink.png

EDIT: (Or if you hit reply on the wrong post then I apologize.)

Here is the rest of the post in case you hit the delete button by mistake

Might I suggest instead of people projecting fears they look at the positive sides. For instance Thailand will never change if every Tom Dick and Harry can put on a rally to oppose every thing the people in power do. There has to be a time when people arte not continually plagued with self serving propaganda. I realize some people think there is some place in the world with freedom of speech but sorry to burst your bubble their ain't.

You say that being red shirt strongholds it does not apply to the urban areas. Yet they all seem to vote

red shirt PTP same thing.

Here we are 5 months into the new government and the prophets of doom are out. In spite of the safety on the streets now. There is going to be a lot of eggs broken to make this new omelet. Some of them some people will not like and some of them others will. The fact is they have to be broken or Thailand will continue down the slippery slope. Remember these people who were involved in this last series of protests sat quietly at home in 2010. They had enough and finally spoke out. So now we had the silent groups speaking out and the red shirts speaking out and none agreeing.

Here we are 5 months into the new government and the prophets of doom are out. In spite of the safety on the streets now. There is going to be a lot of eggs broken to make this new omelet. Some of them some people will not like and some of them others will. The fact is they have to be broken or Thailand will continue down the slippery slope. Remember these people who were involved in this last series of protests sat quietly at home in 2010. They had enough and finally spoke out. So now we had the silent groups speaking out and the red shirts speaking out and none agreeing.

What is any more or less safe on the streets now than before? I haven't noticed any difference one way or the other.

• Like 1

I completely don't get him either. As in, not enough to even reply.

The OP asks if anyone is woried about a tighter grip by the military.

I reply, no, I'm not worried in the short term and here is why.

Then we get all kinds of stuff, ending in:

Here we are 5 months into the new government and the prophets of doom are out. In spite of the safety on the streets now. There is going to be a lot of eggs broken to make this new omelet. Some of them some people will not like and some of them others will. The fact is they have to be broken or Thailand will continue down the slippery slope.

So that sounds a lot more concerning than anything else in this topic: a threat/warning that eggs will have to be broken. Yet other people (who?) are prophets of doom..

Ermkay.. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I completely don't get him either. As in, not enough to even reply.

The OP asks if anyone is woried about a tighter grip by the military.

I reply, no, I'm not worried in the short term and here is why.

Then we get all kinds of stuff, ending in:

Here we are 5 months into the new government and the prophets of doom are out. In spite of the safety on the streets now. There is going to be a lot of eggs broken to make this new omelet. Some of them some people will not like and some of them others will. The fact is they have to be broken or Thailand will continue down the slippery slope.

So that sounds a lot more concerning than anything else in this topic: a threat/warning that eggs will have to be broken. Yet other people (who?) are prophets of doom..

Ermkay.. ;)

I am also concerned about the number of eggs to be broken, this can only result in higher prices for everyone.

• Like 1

"So you are suggesting that these people did not want laws obeyed and new ones brought in to help Thailand."

I don't know what people or laws you are referring, but I've noticed no improvement in laws or increased respect for laws since the coup. Perhaps because staging a coup and suspending the constitution is poor leadership by example when it comes to respect for the rule of law.

"Thailand will never change if every Tom Dick and Harry can put on a rally to oppose every thing the people in power do."

The military came to power by taking advantage of chaos caused by Suthep and his minions, and is now maintaining martial law and restricting basic human rights to ensure it stays in power. You obviously think this is a good thing, but not everyone agrees.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

I believe the last figures show the junta with a 84% approval rating.....Feel it's far better now and not on the brink of civil war and toppling a country for no other reason other than one family wants to continue to plunder and rape the country for it's own personal gain.....ala Ferdinand Marcos style....