Taxi driver fined for pretending car broke down to kick out passengers

webfact

Taxi driver fined for pretending car broke down to kick out passengers
By Coconuts Bangkok

badtaxi.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver who allegedly pretended his car had broken down to kick two passengers out was summoned and fined by the Department of Land Transport today.

Thawatchai Rassameekam was fined THB500 for not taking his passengers to their destination. He was also disciplined by the officials.

The driver was summoned after a woman reported on Pantip that Thawatchai seemed to try everything to avoid being reported when she took his taxi with her boyfriend from Don Muang airport early on Tuesday morning.

“First, he complained that our destination Bangna was too far,” she wrote on Tuesday, “After that, he asked for the ticket that officers at the airport gave me. I thought he was just gonna check something, but he didn’t give it back.”

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/05/08/taxi-driver-fined-pretending-car-broke-down-kick-out-passengers

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-05-08

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

""""Thawatchai Rassameekam was fined THB500 for not taking his passengers to their destination. He was also disciplined by the officials."""

Once fined.. there should also be a licence point's system in place.. Gain a said amount of points due to infringements and Licence gone for defined duration.

Pity I was not thinking fast enough last week, it seems harder than ever to get them to use their meters, on checking out of the hotel I was staying at on Sukhumvit Sio4, bell boy asks if I want Taxi to airport, said yes, promptly whisks me out to waiting taxi.

Did not think to check he was using the meter, it was only when we got to the tollbooth and he was asking for money for the toll-way I saw the meter was not on, ended up paying 600 + 75 for the toll.

Now I seem to think that I should have offered him 300 at the airport (swampy), I am sure the policeman blowing his whistle would have soon intervened.

New trick by taxi drivers now? Lol..

Next trick maybe he'll pretend to answer a call and says his wife in labour!wink.png

"says his wife in labour!"

Well, Ed Milliband's out, maybe she'll do OK.

You could say, Labour has no Balls too... whistling.gif

Pity I was not thinking fast enough last week, it seems harder than ever to get them to use their meters, on checking out of the hotel I was staying at on Sukhumvit Sio4, bell boy asks if I want Taxi to airport, said yes, promptly whisks me out to waiting taxi.

Did not think to check he was using the meter, it was only when we got to the tollbooth and he was asking for money for the toll-way I saw the meter was not on, ended up paying 600 + 75 for the toll.

Now I seem to think that I should have offered him 300 at the airport (swampy), I am sure the policeman blowing his whistle would have soon intervened.

You could have paid him what was shown on the meter: zero Baht, and let him complain/explain to the airport police.

It does not surprise me from some Bangkok taxi drivers, these people don't have any etiquette who only think about their own comfort . I have several taxis stop before my destination with lame excuses soon after they finish talking to someone on their cell phone or when they notice too much traffic and don't want to get caught up making money while waiting. The last time this happen to me was one month ago when I took a taxi near Dong Mueang Airport to Kromg 3 in Thanyaburi and as soon as we passed Future Park, he pointed out that he was running out of petro and he triggered off button and let me on the side of the construction where no taxis dare to stop. Funny enough, soon after I paid him and closed the taxi door, miraculously the taxi turn on bad he sped up towards Bangkok. Meanwhile , I had to walk in some areas unto the traffic lanes since the sidewalk was closed due to the construction until I finally reach a point were I can get another taxi.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If I bitched and moaned as much as a Bangkok taxi driver, I'd be fired from my job. These guys are a bunch of pussies.

I live in Rangsit and you have no idea how many countless times I had been assigned to taxis from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Rangsit and all I here is complaints and crying about how much traffic there is there, in one case, one taxi driver tried even acting sick and he started driving a no more than 50 kmh after he previously was complaining how far I lived and how he will not be able to get a costumer on his return. I finally had it and told him that will report him after I took all of his details and all of sudden he was well again and finally got home.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

675 in Total.. sounds expensive. Earlier this week I got a Taxi ( metered ) from Mochit Bus terminal to Suvarnabhumi Aiport for 275 + 75 for tolls.

500 baht fine? Seriously? Do they really think this is supposed to be a deterent or punishment?

How about a 10,000 baht fine and suspended license for x months. The taxi company should also fire his sorry ass.

I have just stopped using Taxis at Suvarnabhumi now, I just get the airport link train instead.

They never want to use the meter and they only seem to know the longest possible route, if they know a route at all.

The taxi situation at Suvarnabhumi is a national disgrace... Don Muang is slightly better but still bad,

Only way to stop this crapola is due what Las Vegas does setup taxi police They drive around in unmarked cars if taxi has passenger and light on taxi not on fine and mark against them 3 marks and your out. Plus passenger gets free ride to where there going with taxi police following to make sure they get there safely.

This happened to me several months ago from Central Cheang to Swampy early in the morning. Once on the highway, he started to do the "aggravated teeth sucking". By the time we got to the first toll plaza he kept pointing to his dashboard.....alluding that there was something wrong. He pulled off on the next exit and made me get out. He did the obligatory hood raise and looking. As soon as I got into the other taxi, he closed up his taxi and took off.

Important lesson for those of us taking taxis from either airport.

If the driver asks for your ticket......

1) Don't give it to him.

2) Likely he is planning some 'mischief'.....

I wonder if the passengers paid him? (Presuming the meter was running that is).

About 1 month back I arrived to swampy at 03.30am, walked to the taxi point waited about 10 minutes for a cab to arrive jumped in with the ticket given by an attendant operating the vending machine (slight problem with it) told the driver Don Muang no hurry - flight wasn't till 06.30.Had very pleasant trip chatting with the driver in English. Meter plus one toll he paid came to about 400 Bht. He lifted my not all that light bag into and out of the of cab plus ran and got a trolley for me - was more than happy to give him 500 for such good service - seems not all cab drivers are all that bad.

500 baht fine? Seriously? Do they really think this is supposed to be a deterent or punishment?

How about a 10,000 baht fine and suspended license for x months. The taxi company should also fire his sorry ass.

Unfortunately this will be seen as a punishment not a joke. Wonder if any record will be kept ?

Basil,

You are the problem those of us who live here would love to solve. "Not thinking fast enough" ... how about "Not thinking at all."

More and more often I see turn around tourists handing taxi and tuk tuk drivers insane sums of money, and on the few occasions I have asked them why .. they shrug it off with a "I really do not care, i am on holiday."

So, not only did this guy jack you for a double + fare ... you rolled over like a puppy and paid it.

Thanks mate. Next time a taxi from Sukhumvit Soi "X" asks for a ridiculous fare, i will know who trained him that will work.

I only can repeat. Download the app to report bad taxi drivers and use that app. More people use that app, faster the bad ones will lose their license.

The app is called DLT check in.

By the way, its bilingual.

Easiest way to get a joyful ride is to learn a couple of Isarn phrases.

Pathetic the complaints from those rich enough to be flying internationally.

These guys earn less than £20 for a 12 hour shift. Can you really begrudge them try to make £2 more of a jet setter?

New trick by taxi drivers now? Lol..

Next trick maybe he'll pretend to answer a call and says his wife in labour!wink.png

No, they say "going to have a baby" You then assume it means she is in labour. When you ask if it was a boy or girl, they reply. "Silly Farang! It takes 9 months!"

500 Baht. Bad joke. No dis-incentive at all. He will make that up in 1 or 2 days picking & choosing or refusing fares . Try 2000 to 10,000 baht. It has to be enough for them to sit up and take notice

I do note he was also disciplines by the authorities. OK, so, was that six of the best over a police gymnasium jumping horse, or a slap on the wrist with used BTS swipe card (much more severe than usual, as damp tram tickets are temporarily unavailable.) I was refused 5 times in a row in Sukhumvit the other morning. Ended up taking BTS, I told each one I was giving his taxi number to the General.& then deliberately never took any more taxi's for the rest of my short R&R from the provinces. So BTS got my money not taxis. That must be what they want.

I do temper my criticism with my opinion that Taxis are still too cheap here and there are too many of them, but it is no excuse for refusing fares. Without me, they drove off and the flag had not fallen. I hope it took 30 mins to find another fare.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Same thing happened to me at about two years ago at Swampy. Got into a cab supposedly headed for Pattaya, made it about 5 miles and the driver pulls off the motorway onto some street in who-knows-where. The cabbie gets out of the car raises the hood and flags down a free cab. I am hustled out of my cab into the new cab and away we go. A minor inconvenience, really, and I get a cabbie who is grateful for the fare. Still, it shouldn't happen at all.