Jay Leno: Accusers of Bill Cosby face unfair double standard

webfact

Leno: Accusers of Bill Cosby face unfair double standard
By LYNN ELBER

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — Jay Leno says an unfair double standard is being applied to the dozens of women accusing Bill Cosby of decades-old sexual assaults.

"I keep reading the comments, 'liars,' and 'why didn't they come forward before?'" the former "Tonight Show" host said Thursday.

But men who delay sharing stories of abuse or rape are readily believed, even when it's a religious figure such as a priest involved, Leno said.

The experience should be viewed as the same for women and men who hid an assault out of shame and finally addressed it years later.

"When women do it, somehow it's a scam," Leno said, attributing the kneejerk reaction to "ingrained" sexism.

Leno spoke to The Associated Press after a panel at the Television Critics Association summer meeting at which he discussed his new CNBC show, "Jay Leno's Garage," premiering Oct. 7.

He didn't comment directly on the validity of the more than two dozen sexual assault claims, with many of Cosby's accusers alleging the comedian drugged them beforehand.

Cosby, 78, and his attorneys have denied some of the allegations and no criminal charges have been filed against him.

A Cosby spokesman did not immediately respond Thursday to a request for comment.

Asked if Cosby and his career can rebound, Leno invoked another entertainer's experience.

"Americans will forgive anything except hypocrisy," he said. "I remember I had Charlie Sheen on ('Tonight') and he said, 'Look, I like hookers and coke. What am I going to do?' And the audience applauded. It's terrible, but at least he's honest.

"As soon as you deny it, that's your downfall," Leno said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-14

Was everyone of the women Cosby had sex with raped? He was a big star. Women screw stars just because they're stars. It was never consensual? How many of these women are piling on?

I'm not defending him. I just have trouble wrapping my head around ALL these woman getting raped. As soon as I see Gloria Allred as the attorney for these woman, I gotta question motives for some of these women.

If he's a serial rapist, he's a POS. That's what it sounds like but...

It is really a bit of a stretch for Leno to try for the high oral ground in any way shape or form.

The women are greedy and lying, or one or more are telling the truth.

Who wants to be a millionaire?

Oops. that's another litigious game......

It is really a bit of a stretch for Leno to try for the high oral ground in any way shape or form.

You speak so authoritatively about something you know very little about.

It is troubling that some "privileged" people are allowed to operate outside the rule of law and socially accepted norms...politicians are notorious for ignoring laws that ordinary citizens must adhere to...

I watched the woman's lawyer on Tv a while back asking that he should waive his rights and to go to court even though the statute of limitations had passed or

Put several million Dollars in an account for these women.

That told me this was nothing to do with bringing a person to justice but rather just all about the money

I don't know whether he is guilty or not but the time for these women to make a claim was when it happened not now

What are you talking about? Leno is clean as a whistle. He's got a perfect right to offer an opinion.

I've been watching Jay Leno's garage on YouTube for years. I'm glad he has a show coming.