U-Tapao Airport to become aviation industrial estate

webfact

U-Tapao Airport to become aviation industrial estate

RAYONG, 14 October 2015 (NNT) – The Ministry of Transport has approved a plan to build an aviation industrial estate at U-Tapao International Airport.

According to Transport Minister Arkom Termpitayapaisit, a budget of around 15 billion baht was needed for the construction of the aviation industrial estate. The project is expected to be completed within 15 years and will be divided into three phases.

The first phase would last from 2016 - 2020, after which the aviation industrial estate will be able to service around 60% of aircraft belonging to budget airlines in the country.

The aviation industrial estate should be able to handle all aircraft providing domestic flights across the country after the second phase, which would last from 2021 - 2025. By the end of the third phase in 2030, the industrial estate would serve as the repair and maintenance center for over 250 aircraft in the country and neighboring countries.

The project is expected to generate 240 billion baht in revenue within 30 years. The Royal Thai Navy would be invited to help with the construction and management plan. The project will later be proposed for Cabinet approval.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-14 footer_n.gif

Sattahip is a city. U-tapao is in bang chang. At least this is what always thought.

Yes you are right------its a way from Sattahip.........Plenty of room around U-tapao, but I can see the Beach front property of Bang Chang going through the roof---its a well placed town.

Sattahip is a city. U-tapao is in bang chang. At least this is what always thought.

Yes you are right------its a way from Sattahip.........Plenty of room around U-tapao, but I can see the Beach front property of Bang Chang going through the roof---its a well placed town.

You could be right, however it could go the other way. At the moment on the beach front are a number of dilapidated buildings, this with the state of the beach does not make it appealing. Add in to this mixture the extra plane traffic that always seem to do their circuits over Ban Chang, never Sattahip and I should think that prospective house buyers will think twice,although it may appeal to those who may be thinking of opening a manufacturing business.

Edited by nontabury

Not a hub then, makes a change

All they are doing is expanding what they are already doing maintenance of air fleets, Thai airways already has a facility at UTP...nothing new at peak they expect to be maintaining 250 aircraft pa hardly a massive operation or "estate" Edited by Soutpeel

It's in Rayong....just on the border. Back gate can be seen from Sirikit Hospital.

Ok and Ban Chang falls under what province ? Rayong by any chance....Rayong encompasses an area of 3500 square kms ;)

UTP is part of Sattahip Port ergo its in Sattahip

Sattahip is in Chonburi Province....UTP is in Rayong Province 'ergo' it is not in Sattahip. Hope that clears things upsmile.png

"U-Tapao–Pattaya International Airport also spelled Utapao and U-Taphao, is a joint civil–military public airport serving Rayong and Pattaya cities in Thailand. It is in Ban Chang District of Rayong Province."

UTP is part of Sattahip Port ergo its in Sattahip

Sattahip is in Chonburi Province....UTP is in Rayong Province 'ergo' it is not in Sattahip. Hope that clears things upsmile.png

"U-Tapao–Pattaya International Airport also spelled Utapao and U-Taphao, is a joint civil–military public airport serving Rayong and Pattaya cities in Thailand. It is in Ban Chang District of Rayong Province."

Thanks for the wiki quote so tell then why is the marine/naval port on the same property called Sattahip port then ?

Further seeing as your good at google....look up Queen Sirikit hospital which is also part of the same complex and next door and think you will find as coming up as Sattahip as well ;)

Edited by Soutpeel

^ Obviously you are not so good at Google, so here's a clue. Check Google Maps for where the Chonburi/Rayong border lies. You will find that the airport is in Rayong, whereas Sirakit Hospital is in Chonburi...Simples reallyclap2.gif

Oh, and the Airport's address is: Pla, Ban Chang, Rayong

Best stop digging your hole methinksthumbsup.gif

Edited by wilai

^ Obviously you are not so good at Google, so here's a clue. Check Google Maps for where the Chonburi/Rayong border lies. You will find that the airport is in Rayong, whereas Sirakit Hospital is in Chonburi...Simples reallyclap2.gif

Oh, and the Airport's address is: Pla, Ban Chang, Rayong

Best stop digging your hole methinksthumbsup.gif

Yeap your correct never looked where the boundary line was between Rayong and Chonburi as it follows the course of that river... live and learn

many countries have similar large airports that started from military projects or some pie in the sky development inititative, then later struggled. In the USA, in the state of Rhode Island Quonset Point. Outside Montreal Canada, Mirabel. An amazing array of issues, political, economic, labor, union, mafia, logistics, etc become involved. I think the common denominator is if it is not economically viable and if it doesn't evolve from commercial enterprise needs, they just don't work well. U Tapao of course has the fantastic large runway that used to accommadate USA B-52 planes. I have flown in and out of there, but I have to wonder if the runways have been maintained and if all the tarmac is as good as some may think they are. Being not too far from Sattahip and the port facilities of course suggests some cargo or shipping connection usages might be useful. Take a look at youtube there are some great videos of the vietnam war era of the construction and use of sattahip and Utapao

• 4 weeks later...

More charter flights from China and Russia I expect. Then onward to Pattaya. As said before it may also get more freight due to industrial industries in the general area.

Ive used it a few times to Samui. Sleepy kind of airport when I've been there with OK cafe.

According to the U Tapao website, Air Asia are currently running services from there to Kuala Lumpur, NanNing and Kanchang, a reflection I suppose of the expectations for increased tourism from Malaysia and China. They are starting services soon to Singapore, Macau and one or two destinations in Thailand. The missis already has a booking to Udon Thani in a couple of weeks time.

As there was some glitch with confirming the online booking that I made last week I had to go to Pattaya on Monday and called in at the Air Asia office (well, just a booth really) on the upper floor of Tesco Lotus on Sukhumvit - problem sorted by a very helpful young lady. It will certainly be a big help to be able to get relatively cheap flights to a few places without having to schlepp to the awful Don Muang.

Edit - maybe that should be Nanchang, not Kanchang, although that's what it says on the U-T website.

Edited by Eff1n2ret