Poll: Do we live in the "golden age" of television?

Jingthing

T.V. -- not the forum kind  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The question has been asked.

Your move.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/the-best-tv-shows-of-2015-the-affair-master-of-none-fargo-and-more/2015/12/08/cc363b76-8e53-11e5-baf4-bdf37355da0c_story.html

Just 10 shows? In my conversations with readers this year, I heard their increasing worries about drowning in choices — the number of good, worthwhile shows long ago exceeded the number of hours we have to watch them. As such, people keep asking me for “permission” to give up on a show that may be getting lots of buzz but just isn’t pressing the right button. I’m all about letting go of shows you aren’t feeling.

I selected 'Golden age' but that's not quite right - the golden age is just getting started.

TV Networks are gradually losing ground to companies like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. Eventually I think they will take over, especially Netflix.

Once that happens programming will be driven by consumer demand instead of advertisers whims and phony Nielsen ratings - that will be a 'golden age'.

There can't be too many tv programs, you just watch what you want when you want and 'bank' the rest for viewing when there's nothing worth watching on.

• "64,258 posts"

Golden age of internet based escapism and addiction, by the looks of things.

coffee1.gif

That too, but that's another topic, innit?

I'm rather amused by people who post my number of posts.

It doesn't bother me. I just think it's really stupid.

It's like telling fat people they're fat.

Like they didn't know?

Why are you bothering people with stuff they would know already, better than anyone?

• "64,258 posts"

coffee1.gif

Like they didn't know?

Why are you bothering people with stuff they would know already, better than anyone?

Actually, the thing with people actively using a medium for means escapism, which has developed into addiction, don't fully 'know' about it, or are in denial about it.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.endalldisease.com/studies-show-television-decreases-iq-creativity-academic-achievement-and-damages-the-brain/&ved=0ahUKEwjct9if5tPJAhUKHY4KHeOUB94QFggsMAM&usg=AFQjCNEEvKvYLyaPus1SOd5YhGPIdCG9sQ&sig2=erRT-C3k6rTLB5OFZCqlNA

Then again - maybe not.....

Couldn't find the specific Canadian study I was looking for....That was really interesting....

People who don't realize this is the golden age of television must be deprived of access to it.

In this case, ignorance is NOT bliss.

People who don't realize this is the golden age of television must be deprived of access to it.

In this case, ignorance is NOT bliss.

So if you know already, what all those ignorants don't, why start a poll?

No reason really.

Is reason required?

One thing is for sure…television folk are definitely doing more interesting work than the cinema people.

The parameters of the format allow for long form storytelling that is way more absorbing and authentic.

The phenomenon of bingewatching created by releasing 15 episodes all at once has also contributed to the popularity of TV.

Long may it continue.

I voted 'no', but television is extremely important. The problem is that there is such a large number of choices on television and there is are so many genre. The golden age of television was when there was a lot of choices, but a little more limited. People tended to be able to talk about they watched and what they liked. Now, a lot of shows, I've either never watched, never had time to watch or never heard of.

Television is not as much a social event as it was before.

The last program I watched that generated some conversation between co-workers was 'Breaking Bad."

• "64,258 posts"

coffee1.gif

Like they didn't know?

" I just think it's really stupid."

The comments on your volume of posts or the volume of your posts?

"It's like telling fat people they're fat."

The proper response, in either case, is "It's a glandular condition. "

What is television?

Its a square box that you plug into the wall. Colors appear on the screen. They play outdated movies (which you might like) Fox TV which "honestly" presents all the goings on in the world and constantly shit b**bs president Obama and praises a bunch of monkeys that want to be president but in fact only want to represent the rich and herd the poor and steal what little they have left. The middle class is now outnumbered by the very poor and the very rich. On second thought your better without one.

Golden age is long gone. Pc and being scared of offending someone is now.

I've just been re-watching some of the Monty Python sketches on U-tube.... I'm surprised they got away with it then, but they definitely wouldn't nowadays...

Same with "Laugh-In".

Although some people claim that Millinials are more open minded than your average hippy in 1967.

But yeah, the typical screen in 2015 is a smartphone, tablet or laptop.

In 2010, there were already more smartphone in the world than televisions or cars.

Streams of data carried over fiber optic glass strands, transmitted to our rectangular shapes.

Amazing applications of Quantum Physics, entirely based on simultaneous wave/particle mathematics probility theory.

• "64,258 posts"

coffee1.gif

Like they didn't know?

BTW... Did I mention that you are fat ?

I selected 'Golden age' but that's not quite right - the golden age is just getting started.

TV Networks are gradually losing ground to companies like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. Eventually I think they will take over, especially Netflix.

Once that happens programming will be driven by consumer demand instead of advertisers whims and phony Nielsen ratings - that will be a 'golden age'.

There can't be too many tv programs, you just watch what you want when you want and 'bank' the rest for viewing when there's nothing worth watching on.

....programming will be driven by consumer demand...

Just when I was having second thoughts about having kicked my boobtube to the curb 10 years ago, somebody reminds me why it wasn't a mistake.

Thanks