Bangkok Restaurant tips...places worth trying

TallGuyJohninBKK

Pattaya has no more to offer...maybe most Bangkokians have better taste than this place.

So where does our esteemed smokie36 get his pizza? Because honestly I don't think a genuinely great pizza exists in this city.

Sfizio in Asoke.

You will thank me for this one.

Will check it out next time Italian comes on to the rotation. cheers.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like the Chicago style pizza at Bangkok Betty...not sure if they are still doing 30% off Sunday/Monday however.

I thought the deep dish pizza there was pretty good also, round shape with a lot of cheese. They say on their menu it's enough for two people, but 1 was enough for me alone... Guess I have a big appetite.

Here's a snap of their regular menu pizza prices as of a few months ago, and the promotion they were running at that time. Like Smokie, I also don't know whether they're still running that promotion, though their Facebook page would provide the answer.

Betty's is on the ground floor facing outward at the corner of Suk Soi 22, in the same hotel complex as Domino's Pizza and the Coffee-Tea cafe there.

post-58284-0-96885800-1467293687_thumb.j

post-58284-0-83127000-1467293704_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So here is a couple of pics of what I did with some of the leftover brisket I got from the Pug. It is a grilled sandwich using my bread, butter and mature cheddar cheese. What I used from the Pug is their brisket, sauce and string onions. Pics of how to grill and make it follow.

This is my creation of the left overs and not the standard on the menu.

A pile of fat and grease and cheese and butter tastes good any where. Great if you want to be fat.

So enlighten us oh wise one. Where do you eat in Bangkok? If you don't have a decent suggestion or a question about what others have had why don't you just drop over?

I quite like the Chicago style pizza at Bangkok Betty...not sure if they are still doing 30% off Sunday/Monday however.

I thought the deep dish pizza there was pretty good also, round shape with a lot of cheese. They say on their menu it's enough for two people, but 1 was enough for me alone... Guess I have a big appetite.

Here's a snap of their regular menu pizza prices as of a few months ago, and the promotion they were running at that time. Like Smokie, I also don't know whether they're still running that promotion, though their Facebook page would provide the answer.

Betty's is on the ground floor facing outward at the corner of Suk Soi 22, in the same hotel complex as Domino's Pizza and the Coffee-Tea cafe there.

attachicon.gifBangkok Betty Reg Pizza Prices.jpg

attachicon.gifBangkok Betty Sun-Mon Pizza Promo.jpg

This looks good as well although I will take Smokie36's suggestion as it is near to my house. Actually smokie36 suggested this as well. The more pics in this thread the better as far as I am concerned. I will try to add pics with what I have had in the future.

Edited by anotheruser

Anyone tried that new bakery inbetween Suk Soi 31 and Soi 23, Holey Bakery?

I drive past every morning but somehow today was the first time i really noticed it.

had a bald farang man inside with a pinney on so looks like its properly open.

I always question how these artisan bakeries are going to survive, many of them seem to come and go.

The major one that seems to have been a success is Paul, which is much more than just a bakery.

Can I ask the TV members when you dine if the restaurant charges 10% service charge do you leave a tip?? If the bill is 500B then there is 50B service charge already. What is even more annoying is when they charge also the 7% VAT + service it's then 17% on top of the bill.

All I can say is if anyone who dines in a restaurant knowing about these service charges, then they need their head looked at.

If they're upfront about the charge, I don't have a problem with it. Are people really incapable of doing a simple percentage calculation in their heads to understand what the final price might be?

I have already said my piece about this already in this forum.

Edited by possum1931

It is at some hotel up Petchaburi Valina Atrium or something. It is more just for the show of it. They wouldn't know the difference between the best beef from Japan anyway. Just looking for something different for a more grown up affair I would go to the place at the Hilton. I don't want to drop that kind of money on people that are likely to put ketchup on their Matsuzaka.

I think you're referring to what used to be the Amari Atrium Hotel, now known as the AVANI Atrium. Can't speak to the restaurants there.

But I would say, I can't imagine anyone who's eaten authentic Japanese food made by Japanese thinking that Coco Ichibanya in Thailand does good Japanese curry... Tasteless, bland gravy, yes.

Just the mere fact that it seems to be extraordinarily popular with average Thais and in particular Thai university students ought to speak volumes as to its authenticity.

Coco tastes about the same as pretty much any curry house on any corner in Japan. If you don't like the style fair enough but Japanese curry isn't really known for being spicy. It is just typical Japanese fast food. If you don't think the quality is good that's fine but if you are saying the style of curry isn't Japanese, I would wonder if you have ever been to Japan or a fast food curry joint there. This being Thailand the meat would never pass Japanese quality and safety laws but it is an okay approximation of what you can find everywhere in Japan.

If one finds themselves in Terminal 21 it is an okay alternative to some of the other options there. If you happen to know of better places that do Japanese style curry I am all ears. Bear in mind I am not claiming it is fine dining it is a quick fast food option that may beat Subway or Burger King.

Anywhere beats KFC, with their very small portions of French Fries.

Edited by possum1931

So here is a couple of pics of what I did with some of the leftover brisket I got from the Pug. It is a grilled sandwich using my bread, butter and mature cheddar cheese. What I used from the Pug is their brisket, sauce and string onions. Pics of how to grill and make it follow.

A pile of fat and grease and cheese and butter tastes good any where. Great if you want to be fat.

So enlighten us oh wise one. Where do you eat in Bangkok? If you don't have a decent suggestion or a question about what others have had why don't you just drop over?

I like clean food so you will drop over from eating all that fat. Good luck.

I already suggested Sizzler. Not hiso, but fresh salad and grilled lean meat.

For a clean higher end meal, Red Sky at Central World has a great roof top view and varied menu.

It is at some hotel up Petchaburi Valina Atrium or something. It is more just for the show of it. They wouldn't know the difference between the best beef from Japan anyway. Just looking for something different for a more grown up affair I would go to the place at the Hilton. I don't want to drop that kind of money on people that are likely to put ketchup on their Matsuzaka.

I think you're referring to what used to be the Amari Atrium Hotel, now known as the AVANI Atrium. Can't speak to the restaurants there.

But I would say, I can't imagine anyone who's eaten authentic Japanese food made by Japanese thinking that Coco Ichibanya in Thailand does good Japanese curry... Tasteless, bland gravy, yes.

Just the mere fact that it seems to be extraordinarily popular with average Thais and in particular Thai university students ought to speak volumes as to its authenticity.

Coco tastes about the same as pretty much any curry house on any corner in Japan. If you don't like the style fair enough but Japanese curry isn't really known for being spicy. It is just typical Japanese fast food. If you don't think the quality is good that's fine but if you are saying the style of curry isn't Japanese, I would wonder if you have ever been to Japan or a fast food curry joint there. This being Thailand the meat would never pass Japanese quality and safety laws but it is an okay approximation of what you can find everywhere in Japan.

If one finds themselves in Terminal 21 it is an okay alternative to some of the other options there. If you happen to know of better places that do Japanese style curry I am all ears. Bear in mind I am not claiming it is fine dining it is a quick fast food option that may beat Subway or Burger King.

Anywhere beats KFC, with their very small portions of French Fries.

So where in Bangkok do you like to eat?

I like clean food so you will drop over from eating all that fat. Good luck.

I already suggested Sizzler. Not hiso, but fresh salad and grilled lean meat.

For a clean higher end meal, Red Sky at Central World has a great roof top view and varied menu.

I wouldn't trade brisket from the pug for sizzler. LOL

Anotheruser. Chesters.

A great restaurant you may really enjoy is called trolls.

Where's that then? Do they do Western food and a good portion of French Fries?

Is the owner a Thaivisa member?

Personally, I will never eat at either Sizzler's or Chester's, even if someone else is paying.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the pork knuckle at Bei Otto (the pattiserie was mentioned). The size is just right for one, not too much fat and not dripping in oil and pork crackle to die for. I used to go once every couple of weeks or so but since moving to RKH, have not eaten much downtown. Superb value for money at about Thb 500 I think.

Another great Thai seafood place is Sornthong Pochana. Best curry crab I've had (Somboon's is not even close) and authentic Malaysian style pork satay. Their oyster omelette is one of their specialities. Price wise about 3.5 out of 5. You need to get there either early (before 7 pm) or late (after 9.30 pm) if you don't want to sit around waiting outside.

How about Sandwich places? Is there anything in the same league as Pastrami on Rye in Jomtien? Even if not in the same style I would love to find a go to sandwich shop here in BKK.

Not normally a big fan of sandwiches (though my Filipino nanny used to do the best tuna mayonnaise with lots of onions on white bread) but each time I've eaten a subway (most recently in Jasmine on soi 23), I have been pleasantly surprised.

p/s: I should add, Filipino nanny to my kids, not to me sadly

Edited by Gweiloman

An outgoing (leaving his job) ex colleague took me for a bash at the Reflexions (French) in Plaza Athenee as he was still in possession of his corporate Amex Platinum.

Two set menus (6 courses, flavours / colours) at Thb 3,800++ or a slightly cheaper 4 course at Thb 2,800++. Not wanting to appear greedy, I settled on firstly a surprisingly nice bottle of NZ Pinot Noir at 2,800 p/bottle followed by a Chilean Merlot at around 3,000.

Excellent service, very good food. Will go again if I wanted to impress a young pretty girl :)

How about Sandwich places? Is there anything in the same league as Pastrami on Rye in Jomtien? Even if not in the same style I would love to find a go to sandwich shop here in BKK.

Mandarin Oriental have a fair selection.....or the coffeeshop at the intersection inside Central Embassy....they have a cracking deli section and will make a good sandwich....be careful with the cheeses as the price can mount up quick there.

Mandarin Oriental also has well priced and in my opinion the best pies in Bangkok...good quiche too.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the pork knuckle at Bei Otto (the pattiserie was mentioned). The size is just right for one, not too much fat and not dripping in oil and pork crackle to die for. I used to go once every couple of weeks or so but since moving to RKH, have not eaten much downtown. Superb value for money at about Thb 500 I think.

Pork Knuckle at Tawan Daeng, Rama-3 A whole years worth of fat and cholesterol in one convenient serving but ohh,..so much fun to eat, especially when washed down with one of their house brewed beers.

Though the "Wine Connection" is a chain (Silom, Suk. 26, Suk. Thong Lo) I have had some excellent and moderately priced meals at all their locations. Their pizzas are very good and some of the charcutiere plates were an excellent value.

They usually have a lunch time pasta/pizza special under B250, nice atmosphere.

Edited by dddave

Marcel on Sathorn Soi 10. French apparently but with a Tapas style approach. Have only eaten there once. It was very pleasant. We had the steak tartar - ehcih was fantastic. We also had the home-made terrine which was also very good. All washed down with a very affordable Rose wine from Provence. Service was prompt,efficient and friendly. Enjoy.