32 foreign tourists in a speedboat accident in Samui

webfact

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is clearly a tragedy and many TV members here have pointed to the failings and shortcomings of the operation of such craft. If you have been to Phuket and anywhere else in Thailand where there are these open topped pleasure craft operating, you will have seen them speeding along. You will probably have seen some of them capsize to howls of laughter as everyone was able to scramble back on board.

Remember, everyone on board was there voluntarily, weren't they? Were they aware of the risks? Hmm! Not sure about that, are you? Did they expect to die during their trip? Unlikely.

All round tragedy.

I found some statistics for 2015 that you will probably find chilling too.

Where instruction was known, 71% of deaths occurred on boats where the operator

did not receive boating safety instruction. Only 15% percent of deaths occurred on

vessels where the operator had received a nationally approved boating safety

education certificate.

Where data was known, the most common types of vessels involved in reported

accidents were open motorboats (45%), personal watercraft (19%) and cabin

motorboats (17%).

Where data was known, the vessel types with the highest percentage of deaths were

open motorboats (46%), kayaks (12%) and canoes (11%).

For Open motorboats

Drownings 180

Other deaths 105

Total Deaths 285

Total Injuries 1376

Total Casualties 1661

How about the causes of deaths? Ranked in order of number of accidents and deaths

operator inattention 551 accidents 58 deaths

operator inexperience 458 accidents 37 deaths

excessive speed 305 accidents 18 deaths

force of wave/wake 159 accidents 8 deaths

Alcohol is cited as the cause of the single largest number of deaths at 92 for 2015

Water conditions in this case were said to be adverse and yet vessels still took to the water didn't they. However, in 2015 12% of deaths occurred in calm waters and 13% in choppy waters (6 inch to 2 feet waves ... are these the conditions in this case?). 57% of accidents occurred in calm waters and 27% in choppy waters.

Operator experience is clearly a factor: no surprise to find that the biggest single loss of life can be ascribed to the inexperienced operator although the age of the operator seems not to matter: they are all as deadly as each other except that operators over 55 years appear to be the most deadly!

And so on. You can see this is a situation filled with dangers and warnings. I have quoted from published statistics so everyone can easily find them and act on them. Of course, no one does, do they? Myself included.

" Did they expect to die, unlikely"

I think more likely categorically no. If you ever expected to die, you definitely would not do it, unless wanting to commit suicide.

Anyone actually know the exact location of the accident ?

It looks like it's the west end of Maenam beach?

Looking at the image, the sea is not rough.... despite winds lately the sea around the coast has been quite calm lately....

Currently the tides are very very low, which might have caused the boat to hit rocks that would normally be OK. (?)

For those who assume the contrary ... the major speed boat do follow strict safety regulations ... Not sure about the company involved, never heard of them...

Most of these boats are licenced to carry 32 to 40 depending on the boat and seating .... and never known them to go over these limits, I've used them many times.

I do agree if some companies choose to do the trips, when others cancelled there is some blame to be had there.

Condolences to the families.

It was tough weather yesterday – the waves can be fairly strong when coming out on open sea by the Marine Park and a speed boat trip fells really unpleasant under that conditions, if not scaring – from my terrace view it looked like most of Grand Sea Discovery speedboats, another tour operater, was kept anchored in their home bay in Maenam, made me presume none would be touring. My worst fear on speed boat trips here are always a capsize, when the waves get rough.

Edit: Sometime a speed boat can sail pretty fast and do a hard turn, when coming into Maenam Bay – don't know why, they need to do that – but the articles don't mention any cause, so should not speculate...

So sad, R.I.P. for the victims.

Thailand has certainly been bad luck for British tourists. It is curious that there have been no reports calling for a national boycott of Thailand. The approach to safety and holding people accountable is no different than that of IUU fishing practices. It has been 6 years since the EC began talking with the Thai government about IUU fishing and the need to correct the practices. The response is platitudes and the announcement of meetings and complaints that EC does not understand Thai culture.

The driver of this boat, assuming he is alive, should be sent to prison for 15 years, and it should happen within 90 days. No plea agreement or payments to families to lower jail time, just a criminal charge, a trial, and the maximum sentence. The owner (s) of the boat and/or the company should be paying millions of baht to each of the families of the dead and injured. This is accountability and until it is instituted Thailand will continue to loose "quality" tourists.

Yes I must agree with you that it seems that Thailand is a badluck place for British tourist. What is the percentage of British tourists compare to the rest of the Western tourists in Thailand? British tourist is the most tourists from the western world with almost 4% (946919 in 2015) of the total tourist.visiting Thailand. With this high rate of tourists it is likely that it should look like Thailand is a bad place for British tourists. Don't underestimate the influence the British culture have on the amount of incidents that happen in Thailand with British people. May the deceased RIP.

Thais just really do not understand 'safety' is job creation in the short term industry wise, and structurally in longer term in the overall infrastructure economy too. That is quite apart from the advantages of being safe.

big wave no wave big boat little boat no great difference the one in pattaya (similar to the one that put me and the wife off boats in thailand forever)

was not really ment for passengers from what i can remember the top deck had been added as an extra money earner to a fishing boat.

and it eventualy came out the skipper ran away? i know TIT and all that but the tourists with their kids don't understand. RIP.

and maybe warn people just how dangerous Thailand is.

RT@RichardBarrow: Captain of the boat that sank apparently fled the scene. Police will issue an arrest warrant for him - TR @ittipat_Rw

Looking at the image, the sea is not rough.... despite winds lately the sea around the coast has been quite calm lately....

Currently the tides are very very low, which might have caused the boat to hit rocks that would normally be OK. (?)

For those who assume the contrary ... the major speed boat do follow strict safety regulations ... Not sure about the company involved, never heard of them...

Most of these boats are licenced to carry 32 to 40 depending on the boat and seating .... and never known them to go over these limits, I've used them many times.

I do agree if some companies choose to do the trips, when others cancelled there is some blame to be had there.

»It looks like it's the west end of Maenam beach?«

I was also wondering where – tried to enlarge a couple of the photos, but couldn't figure it out; the larger building and the mast-like tower don't make me recall anything from Maenam. Perhaps it's Thong Sala at Koh Phangan, there's a pretty high communication mast..?

The sea can look extremely calm close to land, but waves can be fairly unpleasant rough coming just a little out on the sea. Both ends of Phangan normalle have pretty high waves – perhaps due to stream..? – someone with local maritime experience can probably explain much better than me...

Ok Further update. Just spoke with one of our guests that was on that speed boat. His account was terrifying. The boat just nose dived. And then went belly up. Seems there was some negligence from the Captain. He is in jail since last night. I think this should go up the ladder rather than just the Captain. Our guest mentions that he had to climb off the rocks to safety. There were several people who couldn't swim. The police will be picking him up for further statement.

Ok Further update. Just spoke with one of our guests that was on that speed boat. His account was terrifying. The boat just nose dived. And then went belly up. Seems there was some negligence from the Captain. He is in jail since last night. I think this should go up the ladder rather than just the Captain. Our guest mentions that he had to climb off the rocks to safety. There were several people who couldn't swim. The police will be picking him up for further statement.

Several who couldn't swim? And their lifejackets didn't save them?

We all know the answer to that question.

I was also wondering where – tried to enlarge a couple of the photos, but couldn't figure it out; the larger building and the mast-like tower don't make me recall anything from Maenam. Perhaps it's Thong Sala at Koh Phangan, there's a pretty high communication mast..?

The sea can look extremely calm close to land, but waves can be fairly unpleasant rough coming just a little out on the sea. Both ends of Phangan normalle have pretty high waves – perhaps due to stream..? – someone with local maritime experience can probably explain much better than me...

Another English language Thai newspaper writes:

»

The Aang Thong Discovery 3 left Mu Ko Ang Thong National Park and was heading to Lomphraya pier near Wat Na Phra on Koh Samui when it capsized at an area known as Lam Khai (Cape Khai) at abot 5pm.

«

However, I cannot find Lam Khai or Cape Khai on Google Map...

Years ago while on holiday here I and my then wife refused get on a boat fearing it was over crowded. Those oganising the trip were quite put out by our refusal, but we won when three other couples decided to follow our stand. Another boat was quickly found anf the whoile party split between the two, and we set of for Panyee and the Jmaes Bond Island. As has been said, some of the people in charge of the boats have no idea of the dangers to overloading.

Years ago while on holiday here I and my then wife refused get on a boat fearing it was over crowded. Those oganising the trip were quite put out by our refusal, but we won when three other couples decided to follow our stand. Another boat was quickly found anf the whoile party split between the two, and we set of for Panyee and the James Bond Island. As has been said, some of the people in charge of the boats have no idea of the dangers to overloading.

Years ago while on holiday here I and my then wife refused get on a boat fearing it was over crowded. Those oganising the trip were quite put out by our refusal, but we won when three other couples decided to follow our stand. Another boat was quickly found anf the whoile party split between the two, and we set of for Panyee and the James Bond Island. As has been said, some of the people in charge of the boats have no idea of the dangers to overloading.

Boats are more regulated now than people like to think... They do not put on more passengers than seating allows.... all boats also have life jackets, but you try to get people to wear them... especially on the type of boat that was in the accident...

It really is about time that the issues with passenger speedboat ferries was addressed. There has to be a standard of competency among anybody who has the safety of the passengers (and the vessel) in their hands. Nothing to do with western standards or 'nanny-state' rules, just common sense.

For clarity, i fully understand that the mere fact that someone has a licence doesn't make them a great cox'n, but if the course being run for the qualification is good then some percentage of rules of the road, safety, etc. will be retained. For the number of accidents to decrease, certification needs to be properly imposed, controlled & monitored.

All these cox'ns need to have certification before they are allowed to get behind the wheel and throttles of these boats, holding the correct licences for their specific tasks. IMO, there are far too many 19/20 yo's driving these boats that think a thrill is more important than safety for their 'fun in the sun' passengers.

Address the above, improve the safety of this mode of transport and watch the incident numbers decrease.

Just the boost the gulf islands needed.

More senseless loss of life and negligent operations.

Thailand, the home of truly extreme tourism.

Not sure what you mean, the people still keep coming. This changes nothing.

I am currently not in Thailand, but one look at Facebook and the internet and it is very apparent that both operating the boat and purchasing a ticket ride on one was I'll advised. Did people think the waves crashing into the dock would get smaller on open water?

People need to take some responsibility here as well as the boatmen. In a cash strapped economy boats will run if demand is there.

To book a trip with another firm when you have already been told by another company that trips are cancelled due to weather and waves is rolling the dice. Nothing wrong with taking a gamble, just need to be willing to pay the price when you lose.

It is a tragedy, but who in their right mind books a trip like this when the weather is crap? It would make sense if it were a commute or travel between islands to make flights etc, but this was a leisure excursion easily cancelled.

all very valid points except we are dealing with Thailand were safety and proper training is none existent and money rules all, there may have been one or two smart people that didn't get on the boat because of the reasons in your post but generally people tend to put their faith in the operators of the boat and that they indeed are qualified and know what they are doing.

This boat is probably fit to have about 16 passengers add to that the rough weather and it is not hard to work out what is going to happen

What is wrong here is -

1. greed

2. no safety standards

3. no formal training

4. no enforcement of standards if they existed

5. operators ignoring weather advice (all of the above)

6. Plain stupidity

Will anything change as a result of this tragedy - nope because money rules all in Thailand

Will this same boat and its crew be carrying 30+ people in a couple of weeks time, of course

Will authorities enforce some safety regulations - nope

Will this happen again - 100% certain

Transportation whether it is by road sea or air is dangerous, in the west you might hear of the odd bus accident on a yearly basis, in Thailand it is a weekly if not daily occurance, that just about sums it up and Thailand has been in the tourism industry for many decades, you would think they would have evolved is some way or another to at least have a general level of competence - nope, money rules all.

RIP

Briton, German dead in boat capsize in Thailand

KOH SAMUI, Thailand (AP) — Navy divers and other rescuers searched Friday for two foreigners still missing after a speedboat packed with tourists capsized near the popular island resort of Koh Samui that left a British and a German woman dead, officials said.

The boat, carrying 32 tourists and four crew members, was traveling from Anghong island to Samui Thursday afternoon when it capsized because of strong winds and high waves, said Pichet Sudduan, a port official. The occupants were thrown overboard and some were trapped under the capsized vessel.

At least one person was pulled out after rescuers used hammers to smash a hole in the vessel's hull.

Police Maj. Gen. Apichart Boonsriraj said both the dead are women, and have been identified as a Briton and a German.

He said the missing tourists are from Hong Kong and Britain.

The boat was traveling at about 10 knots (18 kilometers or 11 miles an hour), according to its captain, Sanan Seekakiaw. He said high waves crashed onto the bow and the impact overturned the boat. Sanan said he had asked all tourists to wear life vest but some had taken theirs off during the journey.

Four people remained in hospital Friday out of the 28 who were brought for treatment, said Dr. Theerasak Viriyanon. He said that of the four, one has a fractured shoulder and another has a fracture in the skull. The remaining two suffered from lack of oxygen and were being monitored for lung infections.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-05-27

Search resumes today for missing tourists in Samui

122_samui-wpcf_728x409.jpg

SAMUI: -- Rescue teams from the Department of Marine and Marine Police resumed the search for two tourists who went missing when a speedboat they travelled in capsized off Samui Island yesterday.

It was confirmed that two European women were dead when they were trapped under the capsized boat.

They were identified as Mrs Monik Cozma and Mrs Oconor Timothy, both of British nationals.

A dozen others who are Europeans are still at Samui hospital.

The speedboat with altogether 36 on board, comprising four Thai driver and three crewmen, 31 foreign tourists, and a Thai passenger, was hit by a high wave when it was sailing near the coast near Kakee island in Tambon Angthong of Samui district.

The driver Sanan Sitakaew said he drove the boat to Angthong island for diving.

But as he returned to Samui, there was strong winds and high waves.

He then said he sailed close to the coast for shelter from the wind but was suddenly lashed by a high wave that caused the boat to lose balance and capsize.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/165046

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-27

PM expresses regret for Samui boat incident

126_PM_Samui-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday instructed all state agencies to help and facilitate all tourists to return homes safely after yesterday's speedboat incident in Samui Island that left two tourists dead.

Government spokesman Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the prime minister has monitored the incident closely after hearing the incident.

The prime minister has expressed regret for the deaths of the tourists and has instructed all agencies to get in touch with their families and facilitate them to return home safely, the spokesman said.

He said the incident was beyond expectations and nobody wanted this to happen.

But as the host country, he instructed all to assist the tourists, get in touch with them families of the victims, and to facilitate them back homes safely, the spokesman said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/165048

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-27

This is clearly a tragedy and many TV members here have pointed to the failings and shortcomings of the operation of such craft. If you have been to Phuket and anywhere else in Thailand where there are these open topped pleasure craft operating, you will have seen them speeding along. You will probably have seen some of them capsize to howls of laughter as everyone was able to scramble back on board.

Remember, everyone on board was there voluntarily, weren't they? Were they aware of the risks? Hmm! Not sure about that, are you? Did they expect to die during their trip? Unlikely.

All round tragedy.

I found some statistics for 2015 that you will probably find chilling too.

Where instruction was known, 71% of deaths occurred on boats where the operator

did not receive boating safety instruction. Only 15% percent of deaths occurred on

vessels where the operator had received a nationally approved boating safety

education certificate.

Where data was known, the most common types of vessels involved in reported

accidents were open motorboats (45%), personal watercraft (19%) and cabin

motorboats (17%).

Where data was known, the vessel types with the highest percentage of deaths were

open motorboats (46%), kayaks (12%) and canoes (11%).

For Open motorboats

Drownings 180

Other deaths 105

Total Deaths 285

Total Injuries 1376

Total Casualties 1661

How about the causes of deaths? Ranked in order of number of accidents and deaths

operator inattention 551 accidents 58 deaths

operator inexperience 458 accidents 37 deaths

excessive speed 305 accidents 18 deaths

force of wave/wake 159 accidents 8 deaths

Alcohol is cited as the cause of the single largest number of deaths at 92 for 2015

Water conditions in this case were said to be adverse and yet vessels still took to the water didn't they. However, in 2015 12% of deaths occurred in calm waters and 13% in choppy waters (6 inch to 2 feet waves ... are these the conditions in this case?). 57% of accidents occurred in calm waters and 27% in choppy waters.

Operator experience is clearly a factor: no surprise to find that the biggest single loss of life can be ascribed to the inexperienced operator although the age of the operator seems not to matter: they are all as deadly as each other except that operators over 55 years appear to be the most deadly!

And so on. You can see this is a situation filled with dangers and warnings. I have quoted from published statistics so everyone can easily find them and act on them. Of course, no one does, do they? Myself included.

" Did they expect to die, unlikely"

I think more likely categorically no. If you ever expected to die, you definitely would not do it, unless wanting to commit suicide.

That doesn't follow: we all know the chances of being involved in an RTA, especially as a motorcyclist; and yet how many hundreds of thousands get onto and ride they motorbike every day?

Another English language Thai newspaper writes:

»

The Aang Thong Discovery 3 left Mu Ko Ang Thong National Park and was heading to Lomphraya pier near Wat Na Phra on Koh Samui when it capsized at an area known as Lam Khai (Cape Khai) at abot 5pm.

«

However, I cannot find Lam Khai or Cape Khai on Google Map...

Could be a mis-spelling of Laem Yai? Or Laem Khai could be the unmarked cape to the north of Laem Yai.

I found a map with locates Ao KaKi (KaKi Bay) on the north side of Laem Yai. An article above says the boat was "near the coast near Kakee island" - so it has to be around that vicinity.

Edit: This rock might be "Kakee Island" https://goo.gl/maps/g4KKN9ZHfMA2

Edit: The 'unmarked' cape just north of Laem Yai is called Laem Na Hin Daeng. https://goo.gl/maps/odWxiDo9PGy

Search resumes today for missing tourists in Samui

122_samui-wpcf_728x409.jpg

SAMUI: -- Rescue teams from the Department of Marine and Marine Police resumed the search for two tourists who went missing when a speedboat they travelled in capsized off Samui Island yesterday.

Looking for them on the phone???

RIP , life is always at risk here, whether you choose speed boats, minivans or motorcycles. That's why I prefer to drive myself. If I have to go out at sea I feel safer in the slow ferries , at least you can jump out if anything happens.

Archived