Thais change their name because of psychic?

jgold

I knew this Thai gf and I noticed she change her name on facebook. My first thought was she probably married but then I noticed she changed her first name as well so I thought maybe she is trying to hide from someone. I asked her best friend what's the reason behind and she told me she went to a psychic and she was told to change her name for better luck. No need to say more, I was appalled and thought this was a 1 of stupidity that I would not possibly ever see again.

To my surprise I met another thai women who also changed her name and I asked her what the reason behind and she told me it was also on a psychic recommendation because bad things kept happening to her so the psychic told her to change her name to change her luck.

And I thought I would not see something as absurd as the luk thep doll trend BS.

Wow just as well that Farangs aren't as stupid as that---------- but that's Thai's for you, I guess we are just more superior.

Visits to psychics, reveal the secrets of an industry estimated to be worth $2 billion (U.S.) in the United States alone. One in four North Americans believes in some form of paranormal activity, according to a 2005 Gallup poll.

Edited by oxo1947

It is not unusual for Thai parents to change their kids names 2-3 times while growing up if the child

should be deemed unlucky due to excessive in their opinion..accidents, sickness etc...

Then they go to see what they deem the "real" monks & get a name change

Funny as this is not just a Thai thing there have been many western entertainers, movie stars etc that change theirs for luck also.

But with Thai's one thing I did notice was 8+ year ago when we were working on my wife's US citizenship during the application phase

FBI looks at all & any name changes you had in your life.

Did not phase them a bit that she had 2 other names when young. Seems they are aware of the custom :)

So why does it bother you so much.. As per other response, how many millions do westerns throw away at taro card readings, palms being read and so on....... You must be so superior, as suggested coffee1.gif

It is not unusual for Thai parents to change their kids names 2-3 times while growing up if the child should be deemed unlucky due to excessive in their opinion..accidents, sickness etc... Then they go to see what they deem the "real" monks & get a name change Funny as this is not just a Thai thing there have been many western entertainers, movie stars etc that change theirs for luck also. But with Thai's one thing I did notice was 8+ year ago when we were working on my wife's US citizenship during the application phase FBI looks at all & any name changes you had in your life. Did not phase them a bit that she had 2 other names when young. Seems they are aware of the custom smile.png

I had a male uni student, his whole family (mother, father and a couple of teenage kids) had been told by a locally revered monk that they must all change their names (first name & family name) three times a year for the rest of their lives, also their mobile numbers and their e-mail address and facebook accounts names etc., to avoid bad luck.

When the first change came up the student asked all his professsors to change his name in their attendance and grade records etc., many refused. He also approached the admin office to change his initial uni registration, plus all course registrations plus all grade records for the past three years. They refused.

He tried to discuss this with other students but they all quickly kept a distance from him, in reality he was a little strange and the female students were a little afraid of him, his behaviors, the name change stuff etc.

He dropped out of uni.

Edited by scorecard

One of the head Thai admins at the school where I work is stupid as a fence post. She was ridiculed by all at the school and reprimanded by the director due to her ineptitude. She officially changed her name in an attempt to change her luck. Three guesses how THAT'S worked out for her!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There was a girl at my girlfriend's work who changed her name. Two months later she married a farang.

Within a few months three or four girls changed their names in the hope of meeting a farang. That was two years ago. Nothing has happened yet.

Oh I didn't mention that the first girl had known the farang for two years and was already engaged BEFORE she changed her name.

Another girl I know has just changed her telephone number. The monk told her it was an unlucky number. She now hopes her life will change (but does nothing to change it).

Edited by petedk

My step daughter changed her name a few times because she didn't want people looking for her to find her ,I would be very weary of someone who changes their name

So you were born whatproblem?

Great parents you had!

Ex girl friend and her entire family changed their names for better luck. This is not unusual for the LOS where everything is decided by superstition and ghosts.

With zero evidence as usual..........no thought, no nothing, just acceptance of nonsense ..............cue tumbleweed

So why does it bother you so much.. As per other response, how many millions do westerns throw away at taro card readings, palms being read and so on....... You must be so superior, as suggested coffee1.gif

The OP doesn't seem "bothered" as much as curious. In any event, you are right about many Westerners falling foul of superstition and wasting money on the supernatural, but they don't change their names because of it, which is the thrust of the OP's message

The OP doesn't seem "bothered" as much as curious. In any event, you are right about many Westerners falling foul of superstition and wasting money on the supernatural, but they don't change their names because of it, which is the thrust of the OP's message

"No need to say moreI was appalled and thought this was a 1 of stupidity that I would not possibly ever see again".+ "And I thought I would not see something as absurd as the luk thep doll trend BS."

The OP doesn't seem "bothered" as much as curious? Curious cheesy.gif Please!

Sorry the thrust of OP is simply Thai bashing!