Driving license for scooter do i need one?

OP please get a correct Thai license.

UK license not acceptable.

Get a license so you are covered by insurance, do not listen to crazy people saying, if you get stopped offer a bribe.

I had a serious motorbike accident, first thing the police asked my wife was has he got a license, answer yes.

Police could not ask me as i was in a coma.

When you come out of the coma, beers are on me!

While l have been writing this post there many who post western ideas who don't really understand, insurance is one and they don't realize even yet that it's vehicles that are insured in Thailand getting DL licence makes no difference, that will be on you alone.

CAN I USE MY FOREIGN DRIVING LICENSE IN THAILAND?

The police will under no circumstances accept this and also some insurance companies don't accept it. In almost every insurance policy it says that the driver must hold a valid driver's license. And a valid driver's license is a Thai or an international one (Actually, if you stay longer than 3 consecutive months in Thailand the international license should be converted into a Thai driving license).

Source: http://insureinthailand.com/auto_verzekering.aspx

It only makes sense that I can't hand my 12 year old kid the keys and expect the insurance to pay out in case of an accident. Same as back home in Texas, where they also insure cars and not drivers.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png Well what can you say about and in defence of a Thai Insurance Co. sales web site. facepalm.gif

The information section is partially incorrect and misleading, just by reading the contradictory rubbish but if someone wants to believe them, then go ahead but don't jump off a balcony if they tell you to.

A Full UK Photo-Card type Driving Licence is a valid international DL has all the categorizes of vehicles you can drive in English which is the information required dunno what's on a Texas DL or what their laws are. smile.png

The police will under no circumstances accept this and also some insurance companies don't accept it. In almost every insurance policy it says that the driver must hold a valid driver's license. And a valid driver's license is a Thai or an international one (Actually, if you stay longer than 3 consecutive months in Thailand the international license should be converted into a Thai driving license).

It only makes sense that I can't hand my 12 year old kid the keys and expect the insurance to pay out in case of an accident. Same as back home in Texas, where they also insure cars and not drivers.

I believe that the reference should be to the laws, international agreements. rather than an unknown Comercial site that expresses their opinion is not referring on any law.

But I could be wrong, and someone else on the personal opinion of the commercial site without justification laws. It may be the most important source of information. and reinforced concrete argument

Yeah, I probably copied too much. I should have limited it to the part about requiring a valid license, and left out the part about what is a valid license. I do not claim to know whether a UK license is acceptable by any type of reciprocal agreement. Nor by experience, nor by any other credible information.

I believe it's irresponsible to suggest that people ignore the terms and conditions of their insurance policies because this is Thailand. (I'm not just speaking about the OP, but to others who unfortunately look to TVF for advice on their upcoming Thailand adventure) Just because you can pay your way out of a police checkpoint for not having a D/L (yup, sometimes you can), doesn't mean it won't bite you in the ass if you have an accident.

Whether it's a travel insurance policy that won't pay out if you're in a scooter accident, a health care policy that won't pay out if you're in the USA, or an auto/scooter policy that won't pay out if you're not licensed, driving drunk, or racing. After you have an accident is no time to be checking the T&C's in the fine print.

Or you may be posting a GoFundMe site to bail yourself out...

Edited by impulse

I believe that the reference should be to the laws, international agreements. rather than an unknown Comercial site that expresses their opinion is not referring on any law.

But I could be wrong, and someone else on the personal opinion of the commercial site without justification laws. It may be the most important source of information. and reinforced concrete argument

Yeah, I probably copied too much. I should have limited it to the part about requiring a valid license, and left out the part about what is a valid license. I do not claim to know whether a UK license is acceptable by any type of reciprocal agreement. Nor by experience, nor by any other credible information.

I believe it's irresponsible to suggest that people ignore the terms and conditions of their insurance policies because this is Thailand. (I'm not just speaking about the OP, but to others who unfortunately look to TVF for advice on their upcoming Thailand adventure) Just because you can pay your way out of a police checkpoint for not having a D/L (yup, you can), doesn't mean it won't bite you in the ass if you have an accident.

Whether it's a travel insurance policy that won't pay out if you're in a scooter accident, a health care policy that won't pay out if you're in the USA, or an auto/scooter policy that won't pay out if you're not licensed, driving drunk, or racing. After you have an accident is no time to be checking the T&C's in the fine print.

Some travel insurance companies will also not cover for motorbike riding license or no license and some have refused payment if a helmet is not used.

Another point is age. You can get a full license in some countries at 17 for a car but in Thailand you must be over 18 so your license will not be valid here.

I believe it's irresponsible to suggest that people ignore the terms and conditions of their insurance policies because this is Thailand. (I'm not just speaking about the OP, but to others who unfortunately look to TVF for advice on their upcoming Thailand adventure) Just because you can pay your way out of a police checkpoint for not having a D/L (yup, sometimes you can), doesn't mean it won't bite you in the ass if you have an accident.

WHere do you see some talk about"ignore the terms and conditions of their insurance policies because this is Thailand"?blink.png

If "a travel insurance policy that won't pay out if you're in a scooter accident" its nothing matter have you thai DL o not have any DL..

So i lost chain what about you talking?

Again..

Police check point

an insurance paiment it two different thinks.rolleyes.gif

insurance company cant say... sorry we didnt pay to you becouse Vienna/ Geneva convention standart DL we pay only if you hav Thai DL

Pc

i have insurance there pay for a health care if i am in the USA.(its all world inclusive an now Asia aria as resident) if I in a scooter/bike.. any accident.. and even in sport racing..biggrin.png

Edited by ardokano

WHere do you see some talk about"ignore the terms and conditions of their insurance policies because this is Thailand"?blink.png

If "a travel insurance policy that won't pay out if you're in a scooter accident" its nothing matter have you thai DL o not have any DL..

So i lost chain what about you talking?

Again..

Police check point

an insurance paiment it two different thinks.rolleyes.gif

insurance company cant say... sorry we didnt pay to you becouse Vienna/ Geneva convention standart DL we pay only if you hav Thai DL

Pc

i have insurance there pay for a health care if i am in the USA.(its all world inclusive an now Asia aria as resident) if I in a scooter/bike.. any accident.. and even in sport racing..

See, that's a risk that you take when you stumble into conversations late in the game. And just like in real life, TVF's forum (thankfully) doesn't allow streams of 20 quotes to go back to through the genesis of a discussion.

This part of the discussion isn't about whether the OP's D/L is legal. It's a response to a guy who suggested that the effort to get a D/L is for suckers because TIT and you can buy your way out of a traffic stop.

I don't know whether the OP's license is legal. I'm simply saying he's probably not covered by insurance if it's not. I know my Thailand car insurance policy specifically precludes me loaning my car to anyone without a legal license (whatever that is). Because I read the fine print.

On an aside, I also know that my Euro based employee 100% payment health care coverage does not cover me if I visit my home country- the USA. Because I read the fine print. Before I get over there and need a half million dollars of treatment.

Edited by impulse

See, that's a risk that you take when you stumble into conversations late in the game. And just like in real life, TVF's forum (thankfully) doesn't allow streams of 20 quotes to go back to through the genesis of a discussion.

This part of the discussion isn't about whether the OP's D/L is legal. It's a response to a guy who suggested that the effort to get a D/L is for suckers because TIT and you can buy your way out of a traffic stop.

I don't know whether the OP's license is legal. I'm simply saying he's probably not covered by insurance if it's not. I know my Thailand car insurance policy specifically precludes me loaning my car to anyone without a legal license (whatever that is). Because I read the fine print.

On an aside, I also know that my Euro based employee 100% payment health care coverage does not cover me if I visit my home country- the USA. Because I read the fine print. Before I get over there and need a half million dollars of treatment.

Again to be clear..

1.For insurance not important Thai DL or DL just have allowed bike/scooter incident cover or not.

2. For police there is an regulations(not low) IDP. even I saw a poster at the police station.. So when guys say about some money in chekpoint it mean follow laws you not covered insurance.

3.ofcouse need ALL word in ANY agreement..but if the points of the agreement are contrary to the laws of the ones automatically not valid

it sometimes happens that the laws and regulations are in conflict.

Edited by ardokano

Again to be clear..

1.For insurance not important Thai DL or DL just have allowed bike/scooter incident cover or not.

2. For police there is an regulations(not low) IDP. even I saw a poster at the police station.. So when guys say about some money in chekpoint it mean follow laws you not covered insurance.

3.ofcouse need ALL word in ANY agreement..but if the points of the agreement are contrary to the laws of the ones automatically not valid

Imagine the situation.

You in a police station in Bangkok at 11pm.

You have just rear ended a Merc at a set of traffic lights.

You have insurance, a UK license only and your passport shows you have been here for three years.

The Merc was being driven by a top cops wife.

You start to argue Geneva convention rules and regs'.

Believe me sunshine when I say who I'm putting my money on to come out on top.

To the OP. Get a Thai license.?

Again to be clear..

Imagine the situation.

You have insurance, a UK license only and your passport shows you have been here for three years.

My few passport show its more when 7 year in thailand . But i not have any visit more even 70 day. Normal its 15 to 40 days.

So what happened if its be as you say and thai dl its what change?

Ps.

My friend have accident with not cheap car in 2011 nothing to happened. Call insurance. And all fixed. Total ammount included hospital more when 3 million bath. And its only in Thailand.

After incurance pay more in home coutry for hospital ...

So what is you point?

Again to be clear..

Imagine the situation.

My few passport show its more when 7 year in thailand . But i not have any visit more even 70 day. Normal its 15 to 40 days.

So what happened if its be as you say and thai dl its what change?

Ps.

My friend have accident with not cheap car in 2011 nothing to happened. Call insurance. And all fixed. Total ammount included hospital more when 3 million bath. And its only in Thailand.

After incurance pay more in home coutry for hospital ...

So what is you point?

My point is that it's 1 day and 155 baht to get a legal license.

However if you are of the mind set that it doesn't matter to you then carry on as you are.

I have only been in Thailand for a short while, since 1984, so what do I know.

My point is that it's 1 day and 155 baht to get a legal license.

However if you are of the mind set that it doesn't matter to you then carry on as you are.

I have only been in Thailand for a short while, since 1984, so what do I know.

2. What wrong with another coutry DL? Why need Tgai DL...

Ps

Now i got Thai DL.

But do not see any difference.

I chekpoint even not ask me about DL.

For nmore than 200k km on car andmaybe near 15k km on moto. Just once ask my DL and it be not Thai DL.

Wha ..

This is going around in circles ..

Again to be clear..

Imagine the situation.

' impulse ' ...Quoted :-... I know my Thailand car insurance policy specifically precludes me loaning my car to anyone without a legal license (whatever that is). Because I read the fine print....Unquote.

Well whatever a private policy and clauses within it states it's extra, nevertheless you should still have the Thai government Compulsory Insurance as well which understand without a drawn out discussion of it's downsides covers the vehicle.

" Imagine the situation scenario ". You would be best to say nothing and will have a fine imposed as the DL has been made invalid because you haven't followed the rule of Thailand law.

Yes it's obvious to get Thai DL is the best advice but there is nothing wrong with explaining to visitors options available if they are just holidaying or not going be here for more than 90 days.

A while back, I lived here for nearly a year without a proper licence and survived - I think I was both incredibly stupid, and lucky. Even the few times I was pulled up in license checks, the police let me though. Nowadays I've noticed they know what to look for, and are more thorough.

Most insurers will cheerfully take the premium money, but then refer back to the fine print in the event of a claim - and I've read the fine print and know that I need to be properly licensed in order to be insured.

So I have an Australian licence (car and motorcycle) and an international driver's permit, but that's because i tend to be here for 30 days at a time.

If I was staying here longer, I'd definitely make the effort to get a Thai licence.

Edited by dundas

• 1 year later...

I have a South Dakota drivers license and intend to get a Thai drivers license after getting my non-immigrant visa extension based on retirement.  My SD license is valid for "Car/Light Truck/Moped."  Does this mean I can legally drive a scooter once I have my Thai license or am I essentially at square one to get a full-on motorcycle license?

I suspect it's the latter.

thanks,

Nick