Would you choose phuket or pattaya for a holiday?

Howitzer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

neither, go somewhere where all the  mafia are not around to rob you blind, heaps better places in Thailand than those 2 unless all you are after is hookers, lady boys and drinking

Edited by seajae

8 hours ago, seajae said:

neither, go somewhere where all the  mafia are not around to rob you blind, heaps better places in Thailand than those 2 unless all you are after is hookers, lady boys and drinking

And is there such a place here? please tell me   :whistling:

No. I have been to Phuket several times but have zero desire to ever visit the cesspool known as Pattaya. Great places to go if you like paying high prices and getting ripped off, but there are much nicer places to visit if you do a little research.

My one night in Phuket was in Patong and might not have been representative of the best that Phuket has to offer - rude and pushy people, crowded restaurants, total indifference.  I was just glad to be out of the place, but I suppose it depends on what you want, and exactly where in Phuket you are. I didn't enjoy Patong, other people might. I enjoyed smaller places like Krabi a lot more.  

Never even contemplated going to Pattaya - don't really want to go on holidays in a place where just about all the Thais around me are in the sex industry. I'm sure it's got more to offer than sex, shopping centres maybe?

Phuket is Thailand's cesspit of corruption and is hideously expensive. Its not even very pretty anymore since the corruption lets anyone build anywhere.   Patong has had its day a while back. The pkace is plain nasty.

Pattaya is a little different though centrally dominated by the sex scene and brutal bouncers. You will find much more of an experience in the provinces unless you just want yo get laid - in fact maybe even that is not true anymore.

40 minutes ago, timewilltell said:

Phuket is Thailand's cesspit of corruption and is hideously expensive. Its not even very pretty anymore since the corruption lets anyone build anywhere.   Patong has had its day a while back. The pkace is plain nasty.

Pattaya is a little different though centrally dominated by the sex scene and brutal bouncers. You will find much more of an experience in the provinces unless you just want yo get laid - in fact maybe even that is not true anymore.

Brutal bouncers? Please elaborate. Have you had personal experience?

Re-reading your post it sounds as though you doubt someone would get "much more of an experience in the provinces". No sure what that means though.

My experience is that I have never had a problem w a bouncer. I think you have to act like a large idiot to have problems. If they cost the bar money for no reason they would be fired. Money is the grail.

You are comparing a city to a province. That's like comparing a grape to a watermelon.   I am assuming what you mean by "nightlife" but  I could be wrong.  You may have been better comparing Patong to Pattaya.  Phuket is not Patong.

We have moved to Hua Hin after a year in Patong much nicer here, 

Patong beach is now too expensive, lots of Chinese tourist, Ok for a

couple of weeks down Bangla road and Taipan night club and trips

around the coastal towns, would prefer Phuket for the beaches.

In my view, it's pretty simple. If you like hanging out on a nice beach, swimming in clean water and even want to experience a few mild waves, than visit one of the beaches of Phuket Island (avoid Patong). Similarly if it is a romantic interlude with just the missus or a family holiday with the kids.

If you want the nightlife and constant buzz of a 24 hour city, then Pattaya is for you. There is plenty of variety in accommodation and prices. There are plenty of good tourist attractions within 30 - 60 minutes. If you are single it's the place for you. The beach can be nice to look at, but (in my view) is not so attractive for swimming. It's like being in a bathtub that 10 people were in before you. There are no waves. 

OMG.  It's like making me choose between Trump or Clinton.  :blink:

Let me count the ways I love thee...

Pattaya...                                                            Phuket...

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 1.38.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-07 at 1.40.28 PM.png

Edited by Fookhaht

16 hours ago, petermik said:

And is there such a place here? please tell me   :whistling:

there are plenty if you look, depends what you are after. We have an island we go to where there are only  hotels along the beach front, no all  night parties and loud music, no hookers and lady boys pushing themselves, nice and quiet, a few good places in the various hotels to have a quiet drink, nice meals and no cars/bikes, you have to walk everywhere or catch a boat. If you look there are lots outside the main tourist areas that are not rip offs