Yet another shopping for Android phone thread!

Jingthing

So bought a grey one in Jaymart, it has marshamallow (android 6.0) already, came with a screen protector and clear case and best of all a 1000 baht discount so it only cost me 6990 baht! pretty happy to get a smartphone with 3GB RAM and 32GB onboard memory for that!

Been putting my apps on and swapping over my LINE, Whatsapp and Weichat accounts from my old phone, so far so good.

Thanks for the input.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making me feel bad ... you got a better deal. I'll survive it. Mine came with a film too and basic clear plastic case, but it's not tempered glass. I'm going to put tempered glass on mine and eventually get a sturdier case.

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry, I really went in the shop prepared to pay 7990, was pleasantly supprised when they scanned the bar code and 6990 came up!

I agree about the case, I will buy a Nillkin case like this one:

http://www.lazada.co.th/nillkin-lenovo-k5-note-super-frosted-shield-black-nillkin-clear-screen-6438227.html

i have had one before for a previous phone and it makes the phone more grippy to hold.

Will see how the plastic screen protector holds up at first, might go for tempered glass screen protector also.

Update on my new phone.

I am extremely pleased with my Lenovo K5 Note!

I had a few issues of course, but mostly solved --

Because of no gorilla glass, I covered it right away with tempered glass. Payed a shop to put it in for 50 baht.

Next time I would get better tempered glass. Too many fingerprints. Can clean off of course, but since then have learned more expensive tempered glass is fingerprint resistant.

The cheap plastic case they shipped with is OK. It's collecting fingerprints. I'm ordering a sturdier one. 

I did have some issues establishing the wired connection to my laptop to transfer files. 

The solution was to do the initial hookup with the phone power OFF. That initiated a setup installation on my laptop. Since then, it's been great.

Micro SD card. I decided to add one but didn't think about the speed of it, so I bought a class 4 one which is slow. There were some initial issues with recognition by the phone and laptop. So I took it out and "forgot" it and then started over and did a reformat. Now all OK and as I only want it for file storage and not for apps (plenty of room for apps in the phone storage) the lower speed shouldn't be an issue. 

I tried out the VR feature with the glasses to watch a HD video file without wearing my eyeglasses to check it out. It was quite entertaining but not sure even I had good uncorrected vision whether it would be comfortable enough to watch many full length movies. I'm thinking of looking for really small reading glasses that just correct near vision that might work with the VR viewer they shipped. 

Turning the VR mode on or off is really easy, but for people using this feature a lot you really need to CONTROLLER. Otherwise if you want to pause the video or really anything, you need to take the phone out of the viewer.

I love the Lenovo UI with the updated Marshmallow that I did. 

It's possible that there's an audio issue with the Marshmallow upgrade. I'll need to research that. Not a high priority for my usual type of usage.

Battery life/data limits. I had to do some research on how to avoid battery and date usage overuse. I think that's solved.

I had been concerned that a 5.5 screen was too big for me considering I had been using a 4.5 screen for a long time. I've found some 5.5 devices are very clunky feeling and others are quite svelte. This one is kind of in the middle. But in any case, it turns out this specific 5.5 device works for me quite well. So my size concerns turned out to be unfounded. 

Not sure why I waited to long to upgrade. It was totally worth it. I'm sure there are number of quite decent devices out there under 10K baht or a little over (like the Zenfone 3) but again am totally satisfied with choice I made -- Lenovo K5 Note.

Edited by Jingthing

On 12/12/2016 at 3:25 PM, Jingthing said:

I had been concerned that a 5.5 screen was too big for me considering I had been using a 4.5 screen for a long time. I've found some 5.5 devices are very clunky feeling and others are quite svelte. This one is kind of in the middle. But in any case, it turns out this specific 5.5 device works for me quite well. So my size concerns turned out to be unfounded.

If you find typing on the 5.5 inch keyboard awkward, check  "Settings">"Language & Imput".  There is usually a "One hand typing" option that reduces the key board size. 

Good to hear you are happy with your purchase JT.

Yes 5.5" phones are about right size for most people, big enough for some web surfing/facebook stuff and small enough to sit in a belt-bag without being in the way. 

I think if I go up to 6" that will be just too big for me.

I am glad my UMI super have gorilla glass so never fitted screen protector and not a scratch on the screen after app 3 month use and I am not taking good care of my phones at all. 

• 1 month later...

I bought a Zenfone 3 5.2" last week in Bangkok at 'TG Fone' (the store with the orange and white logo). I bought at the retail price of 11,500 THB and instead of offering a discount the store gave me a pair of 'Marshall Major II' headphones that usually retail for around 4,000 THB. Asus have a promotion of telephone plus Marshall headphones but this promotion is only supposed to be for the more expensive Zenfone 3 5.5" which retails at around 15,000 THB. They're so keen to sell that they will give the headphones away on the cheaper model as well.  

Just wanted to share for those thinking of buying an Android phone.