Fastest Car/Truck you have Owned

canthai55

On 11/28/2016 at 11:10 AM, Rdrokit said:

I thought the Interpol was a Norton and those sound like 1/8 mile times

I stand corrected on the bike - it was a Norton Commando but the times are 1/4 mile. If you may (or may not) recall, the 69 Mustang Cobra Jet came off the showroom floor pulling 6.8/6.9 in the 1/4 mile.

The bike was a miracle find.  friend of mine bought an old house in Las Vegas that had sat empty due to bank foreclosure for nearly 10 years. When we went over to help him clean up the 6' high, overgrown lawn I found the bike in 4 boxes and a 1,000 pieces. He gave it to me for helping. I had a couple of other friends that owned a Chopper Shop in town do the (re)build. That's when we discovered the interpol wiring harness and decal kit. The hardest part to getting it running was the twin, single barrel carbs.

It was a big hit at the Sturgis '91 bike rally.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Wow,  you had a 1275 turning to 8500 rpm. must a had some serious valve train in it.

Got any more specs of it ?

man, this was more than 40 years ago, don't really remember details

when i said 2500+ I based that on my memory of a standard 998 doing upward of 5000

I normally ended up upwards of 7500 witn 970s (I think it was 970, not many of those) and 998s

the 1275 was longstroked, more power (hp/torque) but less "revable"

the 970 was shortstroked, extremely "revable" but less power, but much greater fun

---

if a standard 1275 did 6000+ then I would think I added another 1500+

---------

the car magazines (European ones) were packed with ads for and description of various tuning kits

for minis, and not expensive, late 1960s and early 1970s

popular cars at the time, were used both for rally and for track racing in many European countries

guess the popularity was closely linked to the price of base engines and kits,

and the ease of doing surgery on them

18 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I stand corrected on the bike - it was a Norton Commando but the times are 1/4 mile. If you may (or may not) recall, the 69 Mustang Cobra Jet came off the showroom floor pulling 6.8/6.9 in the 1/4 mile.

Doubt it.......:coffee1:

335hp is not going to get you anywhere near 10 seconds, let alone your figures...

Edited by transam

13 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

The bike was a miracle find.  friend of mine bought an old house in Las Vegas that had sat empty due to bank foreclosure for nearly 10 years. When we went over to help him clean up the 6' high, overgrown lawn I found the bike in 4 boxes and a 1,000 pieces. He gave it to me for helping. I had a couple of other friends that owned a Chopper Shop in town do the (re)build. That's when we discovered the interpol wiring harness and decal kit. The hardest part to getting it running was the twin, single barrel carbs.

It was a big hit at the Sturgis '91 bike rally.

I don't know what you are smoking but a 69 Cobra Jet never ran in the 6s. I was brought up in the 60s and raced many a Mustang. The best they ran was high 13s.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/173-0310-ten-fastest-mustangs/

Got into drag racing in the last 60's. Top Fuel was in the 6 second quarter mile times - where Pro Stock is now. All the so-calledMuscle cars were high13's low 14's. Altho the Boss 429 Mach One with a set of slapper bars and slicks were good for Hi 12's off the showroom floor. Seriously under rated HP to compete in Nascar. 

40 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Got into drag racing in the last 60's. Top Fuel was in the 6 second quarter mile times - where Pro Stock is now. All the so-calledMuscle cars were high13's low 14's. Altho the Boss 429 Mach One with a set of slapper bars and slicks were good for Hi 12's off the showroom floor. Seriously under rated HP to compete in Nascar. 

Many rides with minor add ons from factory would improve quarter times. But even the Ford  429ci was around 375hp..

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

Big difference between the 428 - same block design as the 390, the 429 - same block as the 460, and the Boss 429, which was an engine designed for Nascar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_429_Mustang

In the early 60's Pontiac had a 421ci engine rated at 376hp...That engine design is exactly the same as Pontiac engines that ceased production in 1978, heads, cam were different, block the same externally.....

Just now, mrwebb8825 said:

I'm going to claim oldtimer's disease :P 

Strange some of us ol' timers don't get that...You are in safe hands here....Don't give up, use the PM thingy......BUT, if you are deaf and have lost that V8 sound thing.....Well I don't know...

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Strange some of us ol' timers don't get that...You are in safe hands here....Don't give up, use the PM thingy......BUT, if you are deaf and have lost that V8 sound thing.....Well I don't know...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!

I was just thinking about the incredibly "quick" factory 429 Mustang from a showroom and my chums car to bring a little perspective to the "claimer"..Below is a pic of my chums '38 Willys.

He imported a Ford Motorsport 460ci (7.5) crate engine, 550hp/500fpt out of the box. The car had a tube chassis made and a Ford 9inch locker axle. It ran in the 12's...This was about 12 years back...My point is this car was lighter than a Mustang and had way more hp and these are the times we expected for starters...

Willysmod09d.jpg

28 minutes ago, transam said:

I was just thinking about the incredibly "quick" factory 429 Mustang from a showroom and my chums car to bring a little perspective to the "claimer"..Below is a pic of my chums '38 Willys.

He imported a Ford Motorsport 460ci (7.5) crate engine, 550hp/500fpt out of the box. The car had a tube chassis made and a Ford 9inch locker axle. It ran in the 12's...This was about 12 years back...My point is this car was lighter than a Mustang and had way more hp and these are the times we expected for starters...

Willysmod09d.jpg

Nice ride transam. Is it in Thailand?

42 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Nice ride transam. Is it in Thailand?

No England, it seems it was a 4 door Army staff car, my chum worked on it for years to turn it into a two door street rod. Had a Ford C6 auto trans, jag front discs and hydraulic suspension.

That is not rain on the body, it's a tree's branches reflection..

willys2.jpg

Now I am going to be waaaaay off topic here, but as USA grunt has been mentioned from the grunt years this may be interesting reading for gear heads....

In the grunt HP years way back then, Pontiac (GM) wanted a hemi high HP engine...They paid Mopar engineers to help out....They came up with and produced an all aluminum 427ci (7ltr) Hemi engine for a street car............GM pulled the plug........NO PRODUCTION

I will give you the numbers that would make folk of the time cry....

640hp at 7,500rpm..............Red line....8000rpm...... 

I'm crying in my beer. Loved the sounds. I used to go to the nostalgia drags (Super Chevy, Mile High Nationals etc.) at Bandimere Speedway, Morrison/Lakewood, Colorado, outside Denver, Flatheads and straights. Amazing how the years had turned out the products to really make those run. Funny story from another century in a world far, far away (98), they always had a car show there. I was walking around looking at vehicles and there was one that caught my eye, familiar, but from where. I heard a lady call my name, huh, turned and it was one of the New Mexico Game & Fish guys' wife, State Prosecutor, I worked with him from time to time. He had been building a 32 Ford/Chevy powered if memory serves. It was his wife and very soon he came over. Hey how ya' doin', yak, yak. I said how's life with the Fed's, oh no, shhhh, I'm undercover...lol. Still a hot rodder to the core, he just didn't want anybody to know, nothing to do with hot rods. Great visit, it'd been awhile.

Edited by sgtsabai

22 minutes ago, sgtsabai said:

I'm crying in my beer. Loved the sounds. I used to go to the nostalgia drags (Super Chevy, Mile High Nationals etc.) at Bandimere Speedway, Morrison/Lakewood, Colorado, outside Denver, Flatheads and straights. Amazing how the years had turned out the products to really make those run. Funny story from another century in a world far, far away (98), they always had a car show there. I was walking around looking at vehicles and there was one that caught my eye, familiar, but from where. I heard a lady call my name, huh, turned and it was one of the New Mexico Game & Fish guys' wife, State Prosecutor, I worked with him from time to time. He had been building a 32 Ford/Chevy powered if memory serves. It was his wife and very soon he came over. Hey how ya' doin', yak, yak. I said how's life with the Fed's, oh no, shhhh, I'm undercover...lol. Still a hot rodder to the core, he just didn't want anybody to know, nothing to do with hot rods. Great visit, it'd been awhile.

You're my hero!   :cheesy:

1 hour ago, sgtsabai said:

sgtsabi,

The more you write the more it sounds we are a like. I use to go to the nostalgia drags at Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, CA. Had a good friend who use to run his 65 hemi Plymouth Belvedere. They also had a car show to go along with the drags.

One more thing. I am also a Vietnam vet, 70-71.

chrr-2015.jpg

Edited by Rdrokit

23 hours ago, Johnniey said:

My old 98 Mazda Astina was clocked by the police near Chumpae at 165km/hr.

Have you found anywhere to get replacement struts other than Mazda ones. My wife has had her Lantis since new in 1996 and would like to get some softer ones

Amen, brother, amen. USMC Sgt-Vietnam 1966/67.

I love the old stuff. Innovation, making do, making do with little money. No where near the commercialization of the later years. Times change, the cars are faster, my '02 SS Camaro attests to that, but the raw power, the slam you back in the seat and the sound, the smell of burnt rubber, yea, we were lucky in many ways, ah, not so much in other ways...lol. I came to prefer the nostalgia type drags, even Super Chevy, always wanted but never had the money to put that SS on the Super Chevy track, supporting too much of Issan by then...lol.

Oh hell, if I had the money I'd be racing that little Colorado Z71 I have now...lol. And if I were back in the states I'd be lucky to have the money to even watch a national event.

Edited by sgtsabai

9 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Have you found anywhere to get replacement struts other than Mazda ones. My wife has had her Lantis since new in 1996 and would like to get some softer ones

I'd try Chiang Kong out Bang Plee way. I got many spare parts there.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@13.6303327,100.70419,3a,75y,167.36h,80.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUvSWGRVDx2qNdd1EyIZYZg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Now I am going to be waaaaay off topic here, but as USA grunt has been mentioned from the grunt years this may be interesting reading for gear heads....

In the grunt HP years way back then, Pontiac (GM) wanted a hemi high HP engine...They paid Mopar engineers to help out....They came up with and produced an all aluminum 427ci (7ltr) Hemi engine for a street car............GM pulled the plug........NO PRODUCTION

I will give you the numbers that would make folk of the time cry....

640hp at 7,500rpm..............Red line....8000rpm...... 

Interesting. And also interesting when compared to 2016 technology. Look at the new Mercedes-Benz E 63S: 612 HP and a V8....but only 4 lt. Of course double turbo, but (almost) no turbo lag... well we will see.
(I ordered one, hehe)

5 minutes ago, dominique355 said:

Interesting. And also interesting when compared to 2016 technology. Look at the new Mercedes-Benz E 63S: 612 HP and a V8....but only 4 lt. Of course double turbo, but (almost) no turbo lag... well we will see.
(I ordered one, hehe)

Half a century apart tech...:stoner:

Yes, the new stuff, the new technology is great. Fantastic mileage, unbelievable HP, speed, ET's. But it isn't the same. It isn't the raw power, the sounds, the seat of your pants stuff. And you didn't need a computer to tune your vehicle...lol. Hey, I was literally in the engine compartment of the old 409 and my 79 sleeper 4X4 Chevy PU. OK, I'm only 5'7"...lol. Raw HP and big, for the time CI. Just something about it, but if you weren't there or have never attended an event with the "old" stuff you just can't know. Long live the muscle cars, long live the hot rods.

26 minutes ago, sgtsabai said:

Yes, the new stuff, the new technology is great. Fantastic mileage, unbelievable HP, speed, ET's. But it isn't the same. It isn't the raw power, the sounds, the seat of your pants stuff. And you didn't need a computer to tune your vehicle...lol. Hey, I was literally in the engine compartment of the old 409 and my 79 sleeper 4X4 Chevy PU. OK, I'm only 5'7"...lol. Raw HP and big, for the time CI. Just something about it, but if you weren't there or have never attended an event with the "old" stuff you just can't know. Long live the muscle cars, long live the hot rods.

You are correct. Nothing like the old stuff. When I first moved to Thailand I went to the drag races just north of Bangkok. There were probably a hundred or so cars running down the strip that day. Only one guy was running an American V-8. His name was Noy and he brought 2 cars. A VW on a tube chassis running a 568 Chevy, it ran an 8.85 and a Camaro running a 454 which ran 9.95. Here are some photos from that day.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109000363149494914708/album/AF1QipOkZGyeAL9tnQgxlvFgUTz-PZ-b998SJxGTf4Hu

Ferrari 328 gts.front drive too light.dangereous over 220 km/h.Mustang mach1 1969 completely rebuilt by his previous Californian owner.again dangereous.Tried it on Zolder circuit in Belgium.unreliable brakes.Had to begin to brake from the middle of the racetrack.Never knew if she decided to go left or right...not very confident.Some powerful racing cars with no speedometers or not showing enough speed lol .BMW2002 gr2.vw scirocco on the old Francorchamps circuit that was scrapped end 1978 and some tiny toys like Datsun1000 or Simca1000 rallye2...