Is it Thai etiquette for the farang to pay for everyones dinner?

cheapskatesam

7 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

You need to get out more. Some of the best meals i've had in thailand have been under 100 baht. when i first came here in 1975, i ate at street stalls for all my meals. on the last night, i decided to splurge on a "walled" restaurant. biggest disappointment of my trip.

I've been coming here very regularly since about 1977, when I was a kid of about 10 years old (with my family) and I've been living in Bangkok for 8+ years. 

I bet I get out a lot more than you.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my experience the lower class, less educated the girl the higher the likelihood she'll ty it on. i usually date professional women, often thai chinese, and they always offer to pay or share. we usually share or she pays this time, i pay next time.

i have on occasion met girls from the lower class and something i have noticed they do is order far too much food. when they cant eat it all they are unable to accept responsibility for ordering so much by saying they ordered it for me - despite the fact they were sitting there when i ordered for myself. i hate this wastefulness and would rather give money to a beggar than waste it on an ignorant greedy girl.

43 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

I dunno

He makes a fair point

A hot, sexy woman is hardly going to showcase a bald, chubby farang who can barely string a sentence together in Thai to her friends or family as some sort of catch, is she?

There's got to be some sort of benefit for his presence and footing the bill for an entourage qualifies as one.

Some guys do tend to overrate themselves somewhat.

somewhat ? The guy in the video sure does. As he says in the video . I have no idea what their talking about. That has sucker written all over it. And the sad fact is he and a number of foreigners are like him. Can,t believe after a number of videos he has made he can,t understand anything that is going on around him. Another foreigner in a bubble.

protective_bubble.jpg

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

I can't help wondering who people mixed with back in their home countries.... But why come to Thailand to mix with people who are so much poorer than you?

At least mix with the middle class Thais who've been overseas educated and can afford to eat in nice restaurants.

Sean, back in my home country I mixed with everyone from politicians and celebrities to subway messengers, who were often poor but could recite Shakespeare by the chapter.... and were brilliant and fascinating. They just had different values than money money greed money... Wealth is not always a good indicator of whether someone would make a good companion or a good friend. 

As I have gotten older, I increasingly view kindness as the most important trait. The amount of wealth that someone has accumulated is of little importance to me. 

And in your other post, you say you are not being snobbish, but near everything you are saying is snobbish. 

57 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

You need to get out more. Some of the best meals i've had in thailand have been under 100 baht. when i first came here in 1975, i ate at street stalls for all my meals. on the last night, i decided to splurge on a "walled" restaurant. biggest disappointment of my trip.

the best Thai meals i ever had were between 25 to 35 baht. On the average 30.

1 minute ago, Mitkof Island said:

Let me guess all Thai food is dirty. all Thai food is spicy. The higher the price the better the quality and your chances of getting ill are less

Bad guess.  But, thanks for playing.  Would you like to try the bonus round?

There's another point of Thai etiquette. (I haven't read all 5 pages, so excuse me if someone has already mentioned it)....

If the Thai party are sure the Farang will be paying, they will order a lot more food than they can eat, and a lot will be wasted. If you watch Thai families in restaurants who are paying for their own food, you will see little wastage.

4 hours ago, nunoyabiznez said:

Very common scam as reported in several posts. Just depart if you arrive last, or do a runner, it's not as if you've agreed to pay for every bitch and her dog upfront, right?

it is not a scam, it is about making poor choices in the first place.

how is her trying to get a night out with freinds on your ticket any different than you hoping for a night between the sheets for the cost of a chang and a bowl of noodles ?

Just now, HooHaa said:

it is not a scam, it is about making poor choices in the first place.

how is her trying to get a night out with freinds on your ticket any different than you hoping for a night between the sheets for the cost of a chang and a bowl of noodles ?

You do have a point, up to a point. But it's pointless pointing out the points, point-by-point, as we may end up with getting into a rather pointless, pointed exchange.

8 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

You sir are a snob.I take everybody as they come,poor,rich all the same to me.Side of the road gai yang restuarant or uppity waste your money seafood restuarant,all the same.

A laudable sentiment, just make sure you don't end up paying for everybody as they come...

21 minutes ago, cheapskatesam said:

VIDEO REMOVED TO RESPOND: This clown paid for everyone again .. 

Fair play, he invited them!

He's happy to pay, and can afford it.

The debate is about when etiquette becomes a 'piss take' of being shoehorned into feeding the five thousand, vs only those one has invited.

Oh, and it was you, sam, who started it!

Edited by nunoyabiznez

It is etiquette for the 'boss' or the 'eldest' to pay.  I never used to be able to pay, they wouldn't let me.  Now that I am moving into that boss/eldest position, I do pay.  Its nice!  Except the 'eldest' part!  :)

Edited by tominbkk

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

I can't help wondering who people mixed with back in their home countries.... But why come to Thailand to mix with people who are so much poorer than you?

At least mix with the middle class Thais who've been overseas educated and can afford to eat in nice restaurants.

ps - Sean - are you really in Bkk? Don't you walk past Thai restaurants all day, soup places and the like that are 40-50 baht?  Middle class Thais rarely get educated overseas, that is very expensive for a Thai and mostly a perk of the wealthy...

But Sean is onto a good point in these debates that rage on TV... The OP starts out by stating that he does not have a large income to work with and that is fine and it is understandable to not want to treat others. The fellow in the video as many other posters here have sufficient funds that having another person join in is fine with him and becomes part of the fun. If he could not afford it, it would be a problem.

When I recently invited a Thai friend for lunch, we asked along a couple of the ladies from the temple massage - before the ladies arrived they called me to ask if another lady could come too, who I knew. I said of course as it would only likely be another 100 baht for me and a treat for her. So, these ladies showed respect, whereas in some of the examples above, none was shown. 

And yes, Sean - I live out in the country, and in our small city, a very pleasant meal can be had in a restaurant, out next to a lake, no walls, but great view and fresh air, for around 100 baht per person... 

40 minutes ago, cheapskatesam said:

This clown paid for everyone again .. 

If he has the money and enjoys taking them out, then what's the problem?  You may feel that everyone is always trying to take advantage of you, he may have the money and be having a good time treating people to a nice meal.  It's all about the attitude.

5 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Sweeping generalisation.

It depends very much on the class of Thai you're hanging out with.

If you're cheek by jowl with peasants, you'll encounter this type of behaviour far more regularly than if you rub shoulders with better-off Thais.

True...  I have a hard time trying to pay a bill when out with thai mates.....

41 minutes ago, cheapskatesam said:

This clown paid for everyone again .. 

Sam, this guy does not look like he has any money problems... and he looks like he is enjoying being generous with the money he does have - why not?

Look at it this way - - lets take a flight of fancy for a moment... how much money would it take for you to feel rich? Would a million pounds make you feel good? Now double it - my guess is you might not mind if the in-laws came along or your wife's best friend - and if the bill was 1500 baht for a night out, you would be glad to pay... I think you would be a generous guy - - though it would seem like nothing to you. 

But, you would not feel like a clown or sucker - you would just feel appreciative that you hit the lottery or whatever and could enjoy and share your good fortune... 

1 minute ago, Chalard said:

True...  I have a hard time trying to pay a bill when out with thai mates.....

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

Sam, this guy does not look like he has any money problems... and he looks like he is enjoying being generous with the money he does have - why not?

Look at it this way - - lets take a flight of fancy for a moment... how much money would it take for you to feel rich? Would a million pounds make you feel good? Now double it - my guess is you might not mind if the in-laws came along or your wife's best friend - and if the bill was 1500 baht for a night out, you would be glad to pay... I think you would be a generous guy - - though it would seem like nothing to you. 

But, you would not feel like a clown or sucker - you would just feel appreciative that you hit the lottery or whatever and could enjoy and share your good fortune... 

Nicely said.  

Akin to what I said, it is all about your attitude.  Of course, if you feel you are being ripped off, then you will have a negative reaction.  If you like being generous and enjoy making people happy (and can afford it), then why the heck not have that experience?