Trump accelerates controversial Keystone and Dakota pipelines

webfact

24 minutes ago, pegman said:

Stop reading the Calgary Sun it makes brains mush. Your goofball Harpo was in for what? 9 years? Why didn't that useless tool get a pipeline built to tidewater? Because he was owned  by the Koch Bros who want the tar sands sent to their refineries on the Gulf coast. That's why. Alberta was the most corrupt province in our country when governed by the PC's.owned lock, stock & barrel by oil and gas corporations. The pee brains in that province gave all their resources away when had they gone along with the Petro Can plan we would be as well off as Norway. Try reading up on Stat Oil and the Norway Sovereign Wealth Fund.

The UK are in a similar unfortunate position with what remains of their North Sea oil reserves. Very far-sighted policy on Norway's part that has set them up admirably for the future.

I bet UK folk look at Norway's Sovereign Wealth fund now and go, 'If only...'

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, webfact said:

lines built in the US must be made of American steel.

"Seventy-five per cent of the pipe used to build Keystone XL in the U.S. would come from North American mills ..." Feb. 2012

http://www.mining.com/75-per-cent-of-keystone-xl-pipe-would-be-made-in-north-america/

10 hours ago, webfact said:

the pipelines “will put a lot of steelworkers back to work.”

It would require specialized pipeline welders who will mostly be used to tack pipe ends, operate automated robotic welding machines to fill the end joints and manually finish grind the final welds.

Well it's his playground now and he is having a great and manic time.  If it were any other country then we would all be setting sanctions against them but unfortunately the USA is such a major power that nobody has the guts to do it.  This is way beyond bizarre but somehow expected.  In fact if Trump did drop the petulant child act then all his supporters would be somewhat disappointed.  Question, where is the breaking point?

Well it's his playground now and he is having a great and manic time.  If it were any other country then we would all be setting sanctions against them but unfortunately the USA is such a major power that nobody has the guts to do it.  This is way beyond bizarre but somehow expected.  In fact if Trump did drop the petulant child act then all his supporters would be somewhat disappointed.  Question, where is the breaking point?
It's yet to be determined if there is a breaking point. If dissent gets too unruly trump has shown signs that he will likely respond with Putinesque tactics.

For me the fact is this project is running across someone else land, if they don't want it then they will have to find an alternative.

I find it very ironic that Trump and his ilk are so anti immigration, when all of them are second generation immigrants. The only people who belong in the USA are Native Americans who they don't give a stuff about because they aren't white...

For me the fact is this project is running across someone else land, if they don't want it then they will have to find an alternative.

I find it very ironic that Trump and his ilk are so anti immigration, when all of them are second generation immigrants. The only people who belong in the USA are Native Americans who they don't give a stuff about because they aren't white...

It would not be happening if it went anywhere near one of Trump's golf resorts.

11 minutes ago, nuakmuaynina said:

And there is the rub! there are immigrants and there are "unacceptable immigrants".

44 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's yet to be determined if there is a breaking point. If dissent gets too unruly trump has shown signs that he will likely respond with Putinesque tactics.

Alternative truth aside, maybe Trump will put into place an alternative secret service.  He is unlikely to be able to get the CIA or FBI to snuff out his critics,  maybe Putin could give him some tips? 

5 hours ago, pegman said:

Our oil was getting to market regardless of Keystone. Presently by existing pipelines and rail. By rail creates many more jobs than pipelines. Also an additional pipeline is to be built to our west coast so we can ship to asia. The whole Keystone saga was political BS. It had little to do with the environment. The largest foreign tar sands leaseholders are the Koch Bros. The largest refinery owners on the gulf coast are of course the Koch Bros. The Democrats made them use Warren Buffet's BN Rail to move the tar sand just to spite them. End of story.

Ah, the Keystone Kochs. What could possibly go wrong?

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

Trump is heavily invested in companies that stand to make money with these projects. Conflict of interest? What conflict of interest?

How would we know? Our president refuses to release his taxes. Bet you the house he's hiding something BIGLY! 

7 minutes ago, landslide said:

Actually, there are Legal Immigrants and there are Illegal immigrants.

Quite!  And the legal immigrants should have no problem going to the USA no matter their colour or ethnicity.  Except when you have Trump running the show.  Illegal immigrants are just that.

3 hours ago, WaywardWind said:

Rather inconvenient to have a pipeline burst and spill 200,000 liters of oil in Canada on the same day that Trump signed the orders to resurrect the Keystone and restart the Dakota Access:

http://leaderpost.com/news/saskatchewan/pipeline-leak-causes-200000-litres-of-oil-to-spill-north-of-stoughton

Looks like Obama stalled the project for good reasons.  Trump's just doing this to go after Obama's legacy.  A terrible thing to do unless justified.  In this case, it isn't.

8 hours ago, Grubster said:

Lots of jobs, building the line, making the pipe, and refining the oil for many years, win win.

Perhaps jobs for cleaning up the environmental mess, like was posted above?  If you're concerned about the environment, it's not a win win.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Pipeline#Keystone_XL_controversies

Environmental issues

Different environmental groups, citizens, and politicians have raised concerns about the potential negative impacts of the Keystone XL project.[78] The main issues are the risk of oil spills along the pipeline, which would traverse highly sensitive terrain, and 17% higher greenhouse gas emissions from the extraction of oil sands compared to extraction of conventional oil

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Perhaps jobs for cleaning up the environmental mess, like was posted above?  If you're concerned about the environment, it's not a win win.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Pipeline#Keystone_XL_controversies

There are few things that man can build that doesn't adversely effect the environment. I have one of these pipelines going through the land near my home in Illinois [  48 inch line coming down from the oil sands and a 24 inch line going back right beside it to carry the solvent that they mix with that very thick oil to make it pump able back up to the oil sands to start over again].  This line goes to a refinery in Indiana. I must agree that pumping oil on the north slope of Alaska would be much less harmful to the environment but this is Canada's choice, not ours. We could however force them to pipe it over the Rocky Mountains to the west coast of Canada if we didn't take the pipeline and stopped the use of trains hauling it. I have not known or seen any effect on the environment in Illinois from our many oil pipelines buried under the ground. Our land has been destroyed by farming practices highly subsidized by you and me to make ethanol from corn at three times the price and a much bigger impact on the environment. Win, Win with oil till we find a better way.

41 minutes ago, Grubster said:

There are few things that man can build that doesn't adversely effect the environment. I have one of these pipelines going through the land near my home in Illinois [  48 inch line coming down from the oil sands and a 24 inch line going back right beside it to carry the solvent that they mix with that very thick oil to make it pump able back up to the oil sands to start over again].  This line goes to a refinery in Indiana. I must agree that pumping oil on the north slope of Alaska would be much less harmful to the environment but this is Canada's choice, not ours. We could however force them to pipe it over the Rocky Mountains to the west coast of Canada if we didn't take the pipeline and stopped the use of trains hauling it. I have not known or seen any effect on the environment in Illinois from our many oil pipelines buried under the ground. Our land has been destroyed by farming practices highly subsidized by you and me to make ethanol from corn at three times the price and a much bigger impact on the environment. Win, Win with oil till we find a better way.

http://www.citylab.com/weather/2016/11/30-years-of-pipeline-accidents-mapped/509066/

Snapshot_2017-1-27_10-6-25.jpg

On 1/25/2017 at 2:40 PM, pegman said:

Our oil was getting to market regardless of Keystone.

And Canada doesn't need Keystone.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada approved in November 2016 the expansion of a pipeline linking the oil sands in Alberta to a tanker port in Vancouver, British Columbia. The Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain project will increase the capacity of a 53-year-old pipeline to 890,000 barrels a day from 300,000 and expand the tanker port.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Don't forget to turn off your electricity and get rid of your car, or you are just part of the problems that we all know we have.

I'm about as green as is possible considering living here in Thailand.  Sadly, cars are a necessity with the horrible public transport options we have here!

But as was posted above, the pipeline isn't even needed.  Trump did this just to piss off Obama.  Sick.

10 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I'm about as green as is possible considering living here in Thailand.  Sadly, cars are a necessity with the horrible public transport options we have here!

But as was posted above, the pipeline isn't even needed.  Trump did this just to piss off Obama.  Sick.

If that pipeline is not needed than I guess none are, than you wouldn't have to worry about why you drive. Good public transport requires fuel too. Either you like oil and its ramifications or you don't.  Sounds like you aren't going to give up your soft life for the environment anytime soon.

Nothing in the OP to say if he is going to make the pipeline go under the river near the tribal lands. I support Trump in most things, but I really hope the Corps of Engineers ban on that stands and the pipeline is re routed.

Tv news of native Americans getting shafted once again is something I do not want to be seeing any time soon.

25 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

If you think public transport in Thailand is "horrible" you wouldn't want to live in my country where public transport is almost non existent outside big cities, and even in the cities is expensive and not anywhere near as frequent as in Thailand.

In small towns only expensive taxis. No equivalent of the brilliant songtheaw service that runs almost everywhere in LOS.

Cars are not a luxury, but a necessity.

21 minutes ago, Grubster said:

If that pipeline is not needed than I guess none are, than you wouldn't have to worry about why you drive. Good public transport requires fuel too. Either you like oil and its ramifications or you don't.  Sounds like you aren't going to give up your soft life for the environment anytime soon.

You're deflecting.  Pipelines are needed, just not this one.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you think public transport in Thailand is "horrible" you wouldn't want to live in my country where public transport is almost non existent outside big cities, and even in the cities is expensive and not anywhere near as frequent as in Thailand.

In small towns only expensive taxis. No equivalent of the brilliant songtheaw service that runs almost everywhere in LOS.

Cars are not a luxury, but a necessity.

Very true.  The last 2 cities I came from had very good public transport.  The village where my wife is from has ZERO.  So no songtheaws.