Definitive position re TM30

New beginnings

Firstly I know this matter has been discussed many times but am seeking a definitive answer as to when this dreaded form is required.  Also whilst I know there is a separate visa forum where these matters are normally discussed I am particularly interested in how it is being implemented at the Chiang Mai immigration office. So far I have been given three separate scenarios when a TM30 may be required and hopefully someone will be able to confirm which is correct.

1) New TM30 form required when making annual extension irrespective of whether person has resided at any other property during the year.

2) TM30 required whenever person stays away from existing property for more than 24 hours irrespective of whether they leave Thailand.

3) TM30 required only if person leaves Thailand and must be obtained within 24 hours of re-entering country.

I know that the Chiang Mai Expat club does have connections with officers at the immigration office, immigration has previously given a presentation at an Expat club meeting, and wonder if a senior officer could be persuaded to give a final and conclusive answer to this question.

There is not and will not ever be a 'definitive' answer to issues which have on the ground local enforcement and judgement. 

The law says 24 hours.. The law also says TM28s needed every movement.. The law is ridiculous.. 

Currently it seems each visit to the country is 'enough'.. As long as you dont get a grumpy officer, the moon is in the right phase, he had a good breakfast, etc.. 

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

TM 30 when returning from overseas. I tried the TM28 and no dice. They only wanted the TM 30 and I have never been asked for a TM 30 when doing annual extension of stay, my last extension in Nov.

last November is like a century ago in this case. Many things changed, strict rules are being enforced everywhere now. And yes, even at Immi offices that were quite tolerant in the past, you need to do a TM 30 or at least report your return after spending time somewhere else WITHIN the kingdom

When I did my annual extension recently, through G4T, I advised them I had never had a TM 30,that's after 17 years.

I was asked did I have a yellow book ? and produced same. The fact that we had lived at the same address for 9 years also helped.

All went through without question.If I had processed thr renewal myself it may have been a different story but at the end of the day its upto the officers mood .1,600 baht not the end of the world just a donation .

If you have been here for a while,you know the ground rules, expect this uncertainty to continue. The form asking personal details, like what social media do you use etc etc has hit the dust.I never submitted one and even Imm staff did not take it seriously for them it was just more unecessary paperwork.

The fact that they cant get simple on line reporting, a national passport bar code system,, online appointments back on line shows just how

inneficient the whole department is.

I have no computer knowledge but I'm told, by those that do, its a simple project any programmer could undertake

There is simply no interest in increasing efficiency, like other Gov Departments,  the question is why and nobody in authority is prepared to tell us.

Hi - Some of the above comments are most helpful.  However I feel I should perhaps expand on my reason for seeking clarification on this issue.  My landlady lives in Bangkok and last time a TM30 was required her husband had to fly back to Chiang Mai to arrange.  Depending how bad the smoke gets this year I may wish to fly south within Thailand to seek out some clean air.  As immigration will not accept notification from me does anyone know of anyway TM30 can be submitted without need for landlady or husband having to return to Chiang Mai.

Jon Willy - Interesting post.  Does seem to clearly state that form is only required if foreigner actually leaves Thailand and would suggest not required if travelling within the Kingdom. Is Chang Puek Magazine a reliable source? 

Bill 97 - Many thanks - No have not given it a try but may be an option if all else fails.

1 hour ago, New beginnings said:

Hi - Some of the above comments are most helpful.  However I feel I should perhaps expand on my reason for seeking clarification on this issue.  My landlady lives in Bangkok and last time a TM30 was required her husband had to fly back to Chiang Mai to arrange.  Depending how bad the smoke gets this year I may wish to fly south within Thailand to seek out some clean air.  As immigration will not accept notification from me does anyone know of anyway TM30 can be submitted without need for landlady or husband having to return to Chiang Mai.

this case (which is not an uncommon one) shows how ridiculous and impracticable these rules are. If they want foreigners to play by the rules, they have to create rules and laws that actually can be adhered to

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

The fact that they cant get simple on line reporting, a national passport bar code system,, online appointments back on line shows just how

inneficient the whole department is.

I have no computer knowledge but I'm told, by those that do, its a simple project any programmer could undertake

There is simply no interest in increasing efficiency, like other Gov Departments,  the question is why and nobody in authority is prepared to tell us.

I (my team not me personally) would willingly take on the entire extranet project, 90 day reporting, TM30 handling, online appointment bookings for every immigration office, etc etc if they would allow a simple small fee system of a few baht for each process. What farang would be unhappy to pay 50b to easily, securely and with confidence do thier 90 day report ?? Why cant the system automatically mail us when its coming up time to do this, calculate our days incountry for us, etc etc

Could link the entire system to a chip and pin 'farang id' akin to the pink cards, include taxpayer numbers, basically a country wide database. 

While its non trivial, its a fairly basic project, the large volume of participants makes it a self financing thing. 

I've been told by Immigration officers (who of course refused to go "on record") that if you have had a TM30 filed in Chiang Mai and haven't moved, but have simply left the country and come back or traveled within the country where a hotel/guesthouse submitted a TM30, then all you need to do is go to Imm. Prom. and "update" your TM30 and this is something you can do yourself without any involvement of your house owner/landlord.   Simply bring your new TM6 and passport.  They'll stamp your current TM30 receipt which should be stapled in your passport.

I first got a TM30  two year ago when I started the marraige visa process.

it was stapled into my passport.

Since then I have been to the UK twice; done about 6no 90 days reports, re entry visas, stayed at many locations within Thailand, and renewed my marriage visa second time.

and yet....no one has ever asked for it, wanted to look at it, want it updating....its just wasting a page in my passport

12 hours ago, New beginnings said:

YES !!   This is what I did in CM last time I extended my Retirement Visa permission to stay as the owner lives in Bangkok.

Get the owner to complete the TM30 document and sign it and mail it to you. Get the owner at the same time to make a copy of her ID and sign it, and write that he/she gives permission for you to lodge the TM30 as well. And get the owner to make copy of the  blue book and sign it and send to you too as well. Make sure she/he writes your name in regards to giving you permission to lodge documents. 

Take all that and your Passport and any other ID and rent agreement (your name) and any fine for late reporting (800 baht a year) and if you have a Thai wife/GF/friend take them too.  Take to the immigration office near airport - building 3 if I remember. If you drive, park across the road in hotel car park if full (very small) - 20 baht.  You will get a stamped TM30 document and a receipt - present them both when extending your permission to stay (any of them) - with all the other documents ready too of course.

PS - if/when travelling always make bookings and check-in using your wife/GF name (if have one). 

22 hours ago, New beginnings said:

As usual in Thailand there is a form for everything.  You need to download a form called 'Power of Attorney Form Notification form for where alien has stay' (sic).  The usual copies of owner's ID and blue book along with the form (all filled in with Blue NOT black ink) and copy of rental agreement.  With that form you do not then need to keep going back to the landlord/lady each time you need to re-register. 

As a guideline you need to re-register your TM30 on re-entry to the country and if you stay somewhere in Thailand that automatically register you as staying at their premises, i.e. A Hotel or guest house or hospital etc where they take a copy of your passport and register you with the local autorities as staying at their premisises.  Staying with freind/relatives who do not register you does not require a re-registration. (they will be breaking the 'law' by not reporting you but that is the stupidity of the rules!)

42 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Scottyjohn:

That link does not yield the form with that name for me, it comes up with the defunct foreigner information form.

Would you please post the actual document?

Thank you.

Oops;  Sorry. I have just tried the link and you are quite right.  Have attached a copy in PDF format

57a2e9a9b6c1f_TM30ProxyForm.pdf

7 hours ago, davehowden said:

Promenada 2nd floor, Airport Immigration is now closed.

February 14, before noon, I went to the office I have gone to in the past at the Immigration on the road to the airport to report my return to Thailand the previous evening.   Done and dusted without me needing to even enter the office.  The polite, English speaking, interns sitting in front of the office took it inside and returned it in less than 5 minutes.

I did not go to Immigration at Promenada.

1 hour ago, hml367 said:

February 14, before noon, I went to the office I have gone to in the past at the Immigration on the road to the airport to report my return to Thailand the previous evening.   Done and dusted without me needing to even enter the office.  The polite, English speaking, interns sitting in front of the office took it inside and returned it in less than 5 minutes.

I did not go to Immigration at Promenada.

Which building did you go to, the one in the back (Building #3) which looks like this?

Immigration02.jpg

Archived